Scale on physics SAT II

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: June 2004 Archive: Scale on physics SAT II
By Bianchi23 (Bianchi23) on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 09:45 pm: Edit

An 800 on the physics SAT II is only in the 93rd percentile- do colleges think that getting an 800 on this test is not a big deal?

By Stonedpanda (Stonedpanda) on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 09:56 pm: Edit

I'd imagine that the density of the scores is very concentrated. I'd say maybe 20% of kids score 700 or above, and then it gets really low really fast.

By Stonedpanda (Stonedpanda) on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 05:14 am: Edit

I just read my post again. While I believe that I am right, I'm not basing it on anything.

By Conker (Conker) on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 05:39 am: Edit

The question is 93rd percentile of what? In this case, it's kids who think that they're good at Physics (most of whom ARE good at Physics). Colleges will respect an 800 on the SAT II Physics, or anything above a 750 for that matter.

Stonedpanda, I don't believe that the scores are concentrated in the 800 range. From what I've seen (Real SAT II's), the scores go down chronologically. Getting 8 wrong will put you at 790, getting 9 wrong will put you at 780, etc.

By Jprencipe (Jprencipe) on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 07:15 am: Edit

Generally, if you take the Physics SAT II, you know a lot of Physics. Most people aren't willing to venture out and take the risk, because to be quite honest, if you don't know the material, you WILL get screwed on the test. Even if you do know the material reasonably well, it can still be a very tough test. A lot of very smart people take Physics, and this is why you see a much higher concentration of 800's than you would see on any SAT I's. Colleges will respect your Physics score, especially if you're an interesting person and diversified in other areas.

Joey

By Stonedpanda (Stonedpanda) on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 08:24 pm: Edit

That's true Conk. But i'd imagine that the fewer people score in the middle ranges than in the higher and lower ranges.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page