TO SAT II writing takers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: June 2004 Archive: TO SAT II writing takers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
By Hertish (Hertish) on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 09:13 pm: Edit

how was the curve in your opinion after comparing ur expected scores (based on discussion in this forum) and actual scores?

By Willywonka (Willywonka) on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 09:45 pm: Edit

Well, I felt it was pretty generous. I have no idea how many I got wrong- it's not as easy to discuss those kinds of things as it is something like math or history- but I'm sure I must have gotten a handfull incorrect.

Assuming I even got a 12 on the essay, which seems unlikely, at that.

And I got an 800. So I wouldn't worry about the curve too muc.

By Hertish (Hertish) on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 10:15 pm: Edit

oh ok

By Stonedpanda (Stonedpanda) on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 10:15 pm: Edit

Willy, how did you study?

By Willywonka (Willywonka) on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 10:55 pm: Edit

Panda, I took the grammar book the gave us in school and brought it home and studied the sections that the Sparknotes 5 Practice Tests book said would be on the test. It was stuff like dangling modifiers, incorrect comparisons, adverb use, subject verb agreement, pronoun clarity and pronoun agreement. But then there's also word choice and idiom usage, which can't be studied for.

Anyway, I got comfortable with the material, then began taking the five practice tests in the sparknotes book. I did "meh" on the first one, but I took the time to look over the answers and explanations and figure out why I did "meh." I increased with each practice test and was nailing them by the end. For the essays, I hoped, basically. It's the right combination of knowing what to do and thinking of the examples to use in enough time to do it. I recommend two relatively well developed examples per essay. Just keep your wits about you and try to think of the best example, time permitting. Good examples will put you over the cusp of an essay score if you make a few mistakes in other areas. If you need any more essay advice, I'd be glad to offer what I can, but I think I've rambled on for long enough without any knowledge of what you already know.

That's how I went from an abysmal PSAT writing score, which is basically the same test, to my SAT II Writing score within the course of twenty days.

By Stonedpanda (Stonedpanda) on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 11:11 pm: Edit

I have Kaplan and Barrons, although I havent really studied from either of them. I thought I'd study for IIc and Physics and then take Writing later if need be (which is exactly how it turned out, 800 for both, and •••••• 690 for english). What example did you use for your essays and how did you use Kaplan?

By the way, thanks Bro.

By Jaug1 (Jaug1) on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 11:23 pm: Edit

I also got an 800 on the writing.

I was probably a bit extreme in my studying:
8 Barrons
1 Real SAT II
4 Spark Notes
5 Kaplan

The numbers represent how many practice tests I did. But it seemed to work. My goal was a 700. I got an 800. Studying does pay off.

By Willywonka (Willywonka) on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 11:25 pm: Edit

I had the prompt about choices causing life to go how it does and refuted it using Irish immigrants and Rosencrantz and Guildenstern (as explained in the other thread).

I didn't use the Kaplan book, sorry. I'm sure it has all of the information you need to study the grammar aspects and then take the tests and find out what you did wrong, if anything.

Don't sweat your scores too much. I also got 2 800s and a "meh" score on a third. 650 in Spanish.

By Themabrklyn (Themabrklyn) on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 01:27 am: Edit

I got a 780. All I used was Kaplan, and I only did the practice tests (I believe there were 5). As long as you do each test under realistic conditions and when you're done, you see what you got wrong and WHY, then you should be in good shape. You really don't need to worry so much about the essay. I did not use any literary sources or extravagant examples, and I did fine. It's just the quality of writing, not the rarity or uniqueness of examples.

By Stonedpanda (Stonedpanda) on Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 01:57 am: Edit

Yeah, but if I think of them before hand the writing will be better when I have to write them for the test =p

By the way, I have something in my eye. It's making my vision blurry, which is why I couldn't go out tonight. Anyone know how to get it out?

By Encomium (Encomium) on Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 02:12 am: Edit

I got a 790. I didn't study, but I did study for the PSAT writing, for which I used the Princeton Review's "Grammar Smart."

Sophomore Year PSAT-53 Writing

*Used Grammar Smart*

Junior Year PSAT-72 Writing

Junior Year SAT II Writing: 790 Writing

Nice improvement, huh?

By Tkdgal (Tkdgal) on Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 09:48 pm: Edit

I got an 800 in March - no prep (writing is pretty much my only really confident subject area.) Got 6 (!?) multiple choice and a 12 on the essay. So obviously the curve is nice. I don't really like the test much because a lot of the time it gives you 4 very convoluted sentences and asks you to pick the "best" one....gr...

By Esotericstorm (Esotericstorm) on Monday, June 21, 2004 - 09:44 am: Edit

I got a 790.

10th grade: PSAT 63
11th grade after using Kaplan's book+ 2 practice test: PSAT 74

For this SAT II I reviewed the Kaplan book again and took the other 3 tests, and since I took the ACTs the next week I used the Barron's ACT book writing section as practice as well.

For the essay, I didn't prepare ahead of time, and I didn't use references to literature or anything like that. Actually, my thoughts were really random and went from the Boy Scouts to Gilligan's Island to the Boston Tea Party. So I guess as long as you write well and can back up your ideas, you'll be fine.

Good luck.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page