A couple of questions about the SAT for those who do well

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: June 2004 Archive: A couple of questions about the SAT for those who do well
By Michael_Pham (Michael_Pham) on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 09:03 pm: Edit

Is it bad to take the SAT over and over?

I'm a rising sophmore and have taken it three times, progressing each time.
7th grade-1050, 8th grade-1090, 9th grade (June 5th SAT)-1220

What is the best way to study vocab for the verbal part of the SAT?

I would think direct memorization, but that is boring.

What is the best book to study for SAT II Writing?

I plan to use the SAT II writing book to prepare for the new SAT, any other tips to prepare for the new SAT would be appreciated.

Thanks

By Cognitio (Cognitio) on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 09:07 pm: Edit

Best way to learn vocab:
Read real books. Learning vocabulary in context is completely and totally different from glancing at it off the back of a flash card. We're programmed to learn language through subconcious assimilation, that's exactly what you do when you read. Attempting to conciously memorize thousands of words is, you will find, much, much harder and far less intuitive a process.

Best way to study for SAT II writing:
Read real books. Practice writing essays in 20 minutes. Do a couple, and start now. There are plenty of prompts online that you can work with. If you've written 4-5 essays before you do the actual test, you will find that its far easier.

By Michael_Pham (Michael_Pham) on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 09:45 pm: Edit

Thanks for the tips Cognitio.
At least someone was willing to help.
Again, I really appreciate your help.

By Sagar_Indurkhya (Sagar_Indurkhya) on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 10:20 pm: Edit

Hey, I took the SAT's 10 times, and I got a perfect score on all of them(18000000)!

I got into MIT, Stanford, the ivies, and every other college worthy of mention.

I have a 15.0 GPA, unweighted of course, and managed to pull of an X in Calculus DF(X is 4 letters higher than an A+++)!

I have made every honor society that has and will ever exist. I have won every contest I have entered, and have more money in scholarships than the country of SAGAR.LAND!

I volunteer 24/7/365.

I automatically figure out the answers for standardized tests, even if I don't know what they are talking about.

Maybe I am worthy of giving you advice?

By Michael_Pham (Michael_Pham) on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 11:32 pm: Edit

lol sagar be quiet
i'll smack you at school for that

bump

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page