Concerning contrasting Math SAT I and Math IIC scores.

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: June 2004 Archive: Concerning contrasting Math SAT I and Math IIC scores.
By Jprencipe (Jprencipe) on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 07:20 pm: Edit

Hi all! I'm new on this forum, but I hope you guys will be able to help me out.

Back in January, I took the SAT I's. I recieved a 790 in Verbal and a 730 in Math. Later in May I took the History SAT and got a 790. Today I just got my Math IIC and Physics scores back. I recieved 800's on both tests.

I'm terrible at the sort of math "games" (quant comps, funny probability questions) that often pop up on the SAT I's. But I actually am quite good at classroom Math, which is more of what the SAT II's test.

I took AP Calculus this year, and I'm almost positive I got a 5 without much effort. Assuming I get a 5 on the exam (and I've gotten an A in all of my math courses in HS), and taking my 800 on the Math and Physics SAT II's, do you think colleges will see a problem with the SAT I math score? Do you think putting my PSAT scores on my transcript (227 - 77 Math, 75 Writing, 75 Verbal)will help alleviate any such concern?

Re-taking the SAT I's for me is really not an option. It's not something I have the time to study for again. So I'm just wondering what sort of effect this issue will have, if any.

I also have one more question. I wanted to take AP Chemistry this year, but wasn't able to because of scheduling problems. I'm planning on reviewing over the summer and trying to get as high of a score as possible on the October SAT II's for Chemistry.

If I do recieve a good score, do you think this will also alleviate any concerns that I didn't take AP Chem and instead took AP Bio? I've also recieved multiple state awards in Bio, Chem, and Physics.

Thank you very much for you time.

Joey

By Monoe (Monoe) on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 07:30 pm: Edit

This depends upon which schools you are looking at and what you want to major in.

The more selective the school, the worse your scores look (but they still look great, don't worry).

The more your anticipated major has to do with mathematics, the worse your scores look (they still look great).

Don't fret over a 730 - compare percentiles, not scores. 730 is 95th or 96th - and an 800 on the IIC is only 90th. So the 730 is actually comparatively higher. Relax.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page