Asians - how did you do on writing?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: June 2004 Archive: Asians - how did you do on writing?
By Mehere (Mehere) on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 07:04 pm: Edit

I am just wondering. i see many writing scores in the 780 - 800 range... How did the ppl who weren't born in an English Speaking country do on their writing and other sat 2s?

I was born in China and got
740 writing
780 physics
and 800 for 2c and chem.

By Sandmanpb (Sandmanpb) on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 07:05 pm: Edit

Well i came to America when i was only 3 and i still got only a 680, so who knows.

By Satchamp (Satchamp) on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 07:10 pm: Edit

i got 740 and i moved to the US last year.......

By Thermodude (Thermodude) on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 07:16 pm: Edit

K...i was born here...and I only got a 700...but i didn't really prep for it...so hopefully i can score higher when I do...

By Jprencipe (Jprencipe) on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 07:32 pm: Edit

Well, in my area, Asians are a very large percentage of the population. Many of them were born in this country. However, I feel that what may hold some Asians back in terms of the Writing SAT II is the frequent use of unacceptable grammar and diction, which often occurs often in the home.

I know one individual who deliberately uses poor grammar and uses a special accent when speaking in English to his family. He recieved his Writing SAT II score back, and was extremely disappointed. There is no doubt in my mind that this weakness in writing was due in part to the way he speaks with his family.

Also, in addition to the simplification or alteration of standard spoken English is just one potential cause. Some Asians that I know do not speak English at all in the home. They speak entirely in their native language, with certain English words inserted infrequently. This also surely cannot facilitate the proper development of grammar skills and writing abilities.

Also, many Asians in my area seem to downplay the importance of the humanities and instead focus almost exclusively on the sciences. Many Asians in my area have expressed feelings that the humanities are unimportant and not worth their time. I have read the writing of some individuals with this attitude, and it is certainly far worse than the quality of writing produced by those with a more open attitude.

Any Asians who read this, please don't take it as offensive. It's just a personal opinion, and an observation I've made locally. It may or may not hold true for your area or for other areas.

Joey

By Tlaktan (Tlaktan) on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 07:50 pm: Edit

780 on Writing. Me speak English very good!

By Briansee (Briansee) on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 08:14 pm: Edit

I are Asian (American Born Chinese) and I have score 800 on writing. I never expected it, and it came as a total shock today. Last month when I took it, I got 660, but this time I bought the Kaplan writing book and worked only on the multiple choice and got 800!

By Shaka (Shaka) on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 08:17 pm: Edit

i have 700, me go to bank now

By Delacroix (Delacroix) on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 08:34 pm: Edit

I also got 80 on the PSAT writing section
Show the world Asians can be good at English as well as math and science!

By Briansee (Briansee) on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 08:36 pm: Edit

Rofl, I got a 62 on my PSAT writing section. I highly recommend Kaplan's writing book. THe multiple choice section is only like 40 pages, but it helped so much.

By Ecnerwalc (Ecnerwalc) on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 09:16 pm: Edit

By Yermama (Yermama) on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 09:23 pm: Edit

I'm Asian, I suck at math and I rock the Verbal. 800 Writing- BUT on the PSAT I got a 59!!!! Haha, see what a little studying can do...

and yes I was born here.

By Scion (Scion) on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 10:20 pm: Edit

former F4 fan

By Aim78 (Aim78) on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 11:00 pm: Edit

Born and raised here, got a 740. It's not an accurate representation of my verbal abilities because I had no time to even finish the test.

By Zantedeschia (Zantedeschia) on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 12:16 am: Edit

Ah F4....
I've been here for ten years...i got 800.

By Strider (Strider) on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 12:19 am: Edit

F4 rocks! woohoo~~~
anyway, my writing sucked, only 700...and i'm ROB, been here for almost three years now!

By Irock1ce (Irock1ce) on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 12:22 am: Edit

Came here when i was 6. Got a 720 on writing.

By Athlonmj (Athlonmj) on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 12:22 am: Edit

any fobs on this board?

By Greenfrog (Greenfrog) on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 12:24 am: Edit

750 writing
born in europe

By Satchamp (Satchamp) on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 12:28 am: Edit

im a FOB

By Hertish (Hertish) on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 01:52 am: Edit

i'm a fob

being a fob is not that bad

By Michael_Pham (Michael_Pham) on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 02:00 am: Edit

I guess I'm disappointing then, I got a 50 on the writing part of PSAT.
I haven't taken the SAT II Writing yet, but I'd probably score low on that too.
I plan to take next year.
Any tips that would help me study would greatly be appreciated.

I'm Vietnamese by the way.

By Jackiec (Jackiec) on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 02:42 am: Edit

800 woo. born and raised here..but Mandarin was my first language.

recent 5566 fan hah YEY.

and i recently went on a cruise...this Caucasian lady behind me was making snide comments about how the crew had to announce things 3 times because "some people (ahem) might not understand" (obviously taking a jab at my family and myself) and i wanted to turn around and pummel her and yell out that I was probably better at her at English and grammar. i hate it when people are like that.

By Conker (Conker) on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 05:45 am: Edit

"i wanted to turn around and pummel her and yell out that I was probably better at her at English and grammar. i hate it when people are like that."

You probably should have.

By Korinfox (Korinfox) on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 07:40 am: Edit

740, ABC

By Kattiepie (Kattiepie) on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 11:41 am: Edit

but I was born & raised here, so that might not count. :) (But I don't speak English at home..)

By Yz16 (Yz16) on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 12:47 pm: Edit

Joey:
Well, I live *in* Asia, and your generalizations do not hold true for the asians in my - perhaps larger - area : ).

"Some Asians that I know do not speak English at all in the home. They speak entirely in their native language, with certain English words inserted infrequently."
fancy that - asians speaking their native language. *gasp shock and horror*

(800.)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page