Which oval do you fill when you guess?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: June 2004 Archive: Which oval do you fill when you guess?
By Macandcheese (Macandcheese) on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 09:15 am: Edit

Since youre supposed to guess if you can eliminate one answer, which oval is it most likely to be? There must be a way to figure this out.

By Tired_Student (Tired_Student) on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 10:32 am: Edit

Dont randomnly guess. Choose one that you "feel" is correct. And if you keep getting it wrong, then practice until you can "feel" out the answers. It's a standardized test, which means that the format for every single test is the same (same types of questions). Plus it goes from easy to hard, so for #25, you can easily eliminate all the stupid choices. Also, remember that the SATs is a tricky test. If I have time, when I am going over answers, I always skip a step in solving a problem, and bingo! i see that answer in the choices. That is why guessing won't work, just practice or omit.

By Incognita (Incognita) on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 12:36 pm: Edit

"If I have time, when I am going over answers, I always skip a step in solving a problem, and bingo! i see that answer in the choices""

COuld you please explain that,Tired student?
i have like a 1200 and it's gotta get boosted up!
I can feel it!
thanks
Monica

By Monoe (Monoe) on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 12:59 pm: Edit

He means he purposefully does the problem incorrectly to eliminate wrong answers - the SAT likes to put down answers that students could ostensibly come to by making slight errors in calculation.

By Satchamp (Satchamp) on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 01:00 pm: Edit

C.....unless the answer to the previous question or the next question is C

By Z80x86 (Z80x86) on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 03:14 pm: Edit

Pick anyone you want, its random.

By Studyguy346 (Studyguy346) on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 08:38 pm: Edit

Look for patterns on the answer sheet.. 4/5 in a row or a pattern that goes straight from A, B, C, D, E usually doesn't happen. Usually the answers are somewhat staggered. Bubble in accordingly. Also, use ur "gut" instinct like others said.

By Ilovemath (Ilovemath) on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 08:53 pm: Edit

Apparently, my gut always tells me A, because I put an inordinate number of A's unless I am consciously avoiding that letter.

By Mimi (Mimi) on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 01:46 am: Edit

It's weird, everytime I take tests, I usually always get Cs and Ds, and it makes me want to fill out A for guessing, just because it will look "nicer".

By Adidasty (Adidasty) on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 11:50 am: Edit

Man, I don't know how this gets other people, but I knowmy math really well and the only reason I don't get an 800 for SAT I Math is because of the last 2 questions on the multiple choice (25 Q's) section and the last 3 questions on QC. If not for these questions, I would get an 800. Does anyone else have this problem? How can I solve it?

By Shortcakefairy (Shortcakefairy) on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 02:34 pm: Edit

get a Barrons (Kaplan?) "1600" book

they have the format of all the hardest possible questions that are likely to show up. The book is geared toward people who are already solid on everything else and are simply looking to get the *perfect* score.

By Ryan4839 (Ryan4839) on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 02:39 pm: Edit

I didn't guess on the SAT unless I could eliminate at least 2 answers, and still, in many cases, I didn't guess. I didn't want to risk it.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page