New vs. old SAT

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: June 2004 Archive: New vs. old SAT
By Kimbojion (Kimbojion) on Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 12:37 pm: Edit

i have the opportunity of taking either the old SAT or new one this upcoming year, and i was wondering which one you guys yourselves would choose. i'm still quite indecisive... i know i don't want to take both if i can help it. the new SAT would be better because i'm better at math and there's no analogies, but i kinda want to take the old one because there's no essay and it's sooner.

also, is there a new PSAT? if so, what's different?

By Over30 (Over30) on Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 12:52 pm: Edit

Here's the college board site for the new PSAT

http://www.collegeboard.com/newsat/hs/psat.html

By Geodude666 (Geodude666) on Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 12:54 pm: Edit

yeah, there's a new PSAT, check out the collegeboard's website for the changes. Personally, i will take the new SAT instead of the old one because i am good at math, and so the increased difficulty of the maths section will not bother me. As for the verbal sections, the only thing keeping me down is the analogies, and they will be gone.

By Isabella (Isabella) on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 01:11 am: Edit

I would do the new one. Analogies SUCK. Besides if you take the new one you can bail on the SAT II Writing, which a LOT of schools require with the old SAT.

Have you taken any SAT prep tests to try it out? There's a free one on www.review.com, and they also have some practice questions for the new SAT so you can see some of the changes: http://www.princetonreview.com/college/testprep/testprep.asp?TPRPAGE=527&TYPE=New-SAT-LEARN

I would at least do a practice test for the old SAT and then read up more on the new one and see when the first full-length practice tests are going to be available, and then try one of those too.

By Altf4 (Altf4) on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 01:20 am: Edit

well, currently, we only have old materials to work with until they release materials for the new test.

so just do practice tests on the old but you don't have to pay close attention to analogies and quantitative comparisons.

has anyone has seen any new materials already out??anyone?

By Shortcakefairy (Shortcakefairy) on Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 02:30 am: Edit

BUMP!

By Smartgirl (Smartgirl) on Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 03:29 pm: Edit

I thought the class of 2006 and beyond have to take only new SAT, not old SAT. My counselor told me that. Now I am confused!!!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page