Gpa VS sat II

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: June 2004 Archive: Gpa VS sat II
By Amerameen (Amerameen) on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 04:22 pm: Edit

hi, i am a junior and have finished physics. I have around an 80%, which is terrible. However, at our school, the Physics course is really hard, and the tests are impossible. After looking at some SAT II Physics practice tests, there is no doubt that I could ace it (especially because of the lenient curve). Do you think colleges would realize how hard the course is and overlook this blemish on an otherwise stellar record?

By Everyprincess (Everyprincess) on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 05:06 pm: Edit

It would look better on your transcript if you take the SATII physics but otherwise just getting an 80% in physics (esspecially if your in honors) should be fine. If you think you can ace it then go for it... during the exam, if you think you did bad, then cancel the scores, but you could definetly go for the SATIIs it shows your ability, even if you don't think you did to well in the class.

By Number9 (Number9) on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 05:09 pm: Edit

I think so, yeah. GPA isn't really as important as your rank. So if you were amongst the highest in your class with that 80%, you can't do much else. Colleges also take note if specific courses are harder, especially if your HS is more well known in the region. But definitely, getting a 750-800 on the Physics SAT II will prove to them that your Physics course was rigorous, and although you didn't get a high percentage, it taught you well.

SAT IIs factor into an equation a lot of colleges use along with rank, so its beneficial you do well on it, and will help you be higher in the ranks of what colleges are looking at in potential students.

By Altsuperhero (Altsuperhero) on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 07:20 pm: Edit

hopefully, the physics will stay fresh in your mind over the summer - take the sat ii's in october

the whole point of standardized tests is to level the playing field (yeah, it isn't level, but it's nice to see the system working some of the time) ... a high score on sat ii phys will definitely make your 80% look better ...

if you think physics is easy (but just had a tough physics teacher), maybe you should look into taking ap phys ... not everyone thinks they can ace the sat ii's

-yes, yes, i know the 800 rate on phys is 93%

By Amerameen (Amerameen) on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 11:06 pm: Edit

although the curve is lenient...how could the 800 rate be 93%, wouldn't they bell curve appropriately to give proper proportions

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page