Progression of Math Classes

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: June 2004 Archive: Progression of Math Classes
By Loop123 (Loop123) on Monday, June 14, 2004 - 11:16 pm: Edit

Hello, I'm currently a sophomore in trigonometry/precalculus and I was wondering what math class I should take after AP Calculus next year. I've heard that mathematics diverges into several categories after Calculus, and I would appreciate any comments or recommendations. Thanks guys.

By Altf4 (Altf4) on Monday, June 14, 2004 - 11:35 pm: Edit

i'm taking prob/stats AP senior year, or i might try some applied math and stuff, but i really want to challenge myself with the AP

after calculus, most math becomes increasingly abstract, and that may be viewed by some as hard and by others as easier because it is primarily dependent on how different minds are constructed.

what does ur school offer? it would be advisable to take the 4th year of math.

By Sirhcv (Sirhcv) on Monday, June 14, 2004 - 11:42 pm: Edit

hmm i assume AP calculus will be calculus BC meaning calc I and II, if its just calc I then take calc II.
But assuming its not you have a vareity of options. Your school most likely does not offer anything beyond calc II so you'll be looking at a local college (all the better!!) You could take multivarible calc, diff-eq, linear algerbra and probably a few others. Although I'd recommend taking multivarible calc, that seems to be the normal progession and it isnt bad. Usally its only one semester so you could take that then diff-eq or something else. Hope this is helpful =D

By Sirhcv (Sirhcv) on Monday, June 14, 2004 - 11:42 pm: Edit

hmmm dont take AP stat, stat is very very very easy, especially for someone thats taken calculus the year before...

EDIT:
Hmmm let me clarify that... take it early, and then only to suppliment another math course, do not go from calculus to AP Stat, BIG NO NO !!!!

By Altf4 (Altf4) on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 12:24 am: Edit

really? ok, i might find something else then

By Loop123 (Loop123) on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 12:30 am: Edit

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll definitely look into my options at the local community college. BTW, is it recommended to take a Logic math course? Although any of the above surely would suffice, I think that the logic course seems interesting. If you have any thoughts I'd like to know.

EDIT: Not necessarily in my senior year, more as in sometime during my education. I would just like some thoughts regarding the course's value.

By Ubercollegeman (Ubercollegeman) on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 01:53 am: Edit

Single-variable calculus is the most basic college level math. It's what algebra 1 is to high school.

After single-variable, most people take multivariable calculus. From there, it gets a little hazy. Look at any college math department's flowchart to get a good idea, though.

I am currently on a more theory-based track and less heavy on the applied track.

By Delacroix (Delacroix) on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 11:00 am: Edit

Yeah, take multivariable calc. Differential equations could work as well. I'm taking Abstract algebra next year. Some people take linear algebra.

By Nealious (Nealious) on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 12:22 pm: Edit

If you are planning on Engineering or something, it definetely wouldn't hurt to go into Calculus 2, which people have already suggested. If your school doesn't have it, look for it at a community college.

I think Statistics is required for Business majors, so maybe you should get that out of the way. It's reaaally easy so if you are willing to you could take both a community college class and Statistics together. Plus Stat is an AP class, which is always good. But if you particularly like something, go for that.

By Irock1ce (Irock1ce) on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 12:36 pm: Edit

Most people go into Multivariable Calculus and Linear Algebra. Thats what I'm doing next year. its after THAT where you really start diverging into a billion different categories.

By Apchemreject (Apchemreject) on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 12:36 pm: Edit

Well at my school if you have taken Calculus AB and BC before senior year (almost never happens here) then the suggested course is Multivariable Calculus or if you want to go easy then take AP Probability/Stats

By Haithman (Haithman) on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 01:28 pm: Edit

Oh oh! Take Combinatorial after Linear!

By Godilali (Godilali) on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 04:54 pm: Edit

take multivariable then dif eq.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page