How is the ACT scored?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: June 2004 Archive: How is the ACT scored?
By Phi2402 (Phi2402) on Monday, June 14, 2004 - 10:44 pm: Edit

OK, here is a question that has probably been asked many times but I still don't know the answer to.

How is each of the ACT subject test scored? I know that each test is out of 36 and the composite score consists of the average of the four.

How does the number of questions right in a section determine your score? Then how does this translate into a scaled score?

For example, what would 5 wrong in English, 6 in Math, 10 in Reading, and 12 in Science come out to be?

I would appreciate anyone who can help. Thanks!

By Irish200 (Irish200) on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 11:56 am: Edit

each section has an individual scale
ur scores:
eng:31 math: 31 read:26 sci: 23
thats a 27.75 roudns to 28

to get a 36 u can't miss any in a section: but u could get 2 35s and have it round up.

Also the science sections has breaks in it whereas
36---none missed
34---1 missed
32---- 2 missed
however it quickly stops skipping.

By Phi2402 (Phi2402) on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 12:39 pm: Edit

I would take a 28.
::prays that his predictions are right::

Thanks so much Irish!

By Ilovefood (Ilovefood) on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 11:28 pm: Edit

dont forget, Irish, that the scale changes for each test. Sometimes, Science goes 36, 35, 33, 32 or 36, 34, 33, 32. Other than that, I'd have to say that your predictions are pretty good.

By Irish200 (Irish200) on Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 01:08 am: Edit

yea i forgot about that....but those should be close if that's what u actaully missed

By Bfjava (Bfjava) on Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 01:58 am: Edit

do you know you missed 10 on reading or are you assuming?

See, for me, on the reading I had to fill in the last 10. I wasn't watching my time AT ALL. Up until I started guessing, I'm fairly sure I missed anywhere from a few to none. How many of the 10 I randomly filled in do you think I could luckily get correct? hehe, any stats or anything on the issue? haha, I'm just searching for some hope. So if you have any, give me some! thx

By Drusba (Drusba) on Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 10:00 am: Edit

For the ACT, the scale really does not change to any real degree from test to test. It is predetermined what your score will be in a section based on number answered correctly and degree of difficulty (each section has "easy," "medium," and "hard" questions) before you walk into the test. In other words, The ACT does not curve each test separately based on what the average test-takers have done on the test.

By Phi2402 (Phi2402) on Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 10:39 am: Edit

Bfjava,

The same thing happened to me - I started the bee passage with 5 minutes left and ran short of time. I was confident about the questions I had done up to that point, (but I probably got 2 or 3 wrong), and I was forced to randomly fill in the last 7 or 8, so I was just wondering the worst case scenario :) lol.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page