MATH 2c need help

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: June 2004 Archive: MATH 2c need help
By Altf4 (Altf4) on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 06:39 pm: Edit

hello everyone, i'm looking for a review book for math 2c, BUT i want one that is almost like a textbook in the clarity of the explanations, something that is very thorough to help me review what i learned in pre-calculus this year(i'm a sophomore, will any calculus be needed?)

should i just re read my math textbook? will that help?

By Welshie (Welshie) on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 07:02 pm: Edit

No Calculus is needed. I used the REA Math IIC book and it did a solid job of covering what I needed to know for the real deal however, it does as horrid job of teaching it. In fact, the book is geared away from teaching the information and instead opts for a more "here's what you need to know" approach. Because of my mathematical background, I was comfortable with that as I only needed to rehash old information/formulas. Using the REA book and taking some practice questions from Princeton Review and here on CC I came away with an "easy" 800 (I hate to sound pompous but I felt very prepared on the test). CC is your best source, at least it was for me.

-Jesse

By Altf4 (Altf4) on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 07:16 pm: Edit

there are practice tests on CC? where are these questions that you speak of?

thanks

By Welshie (Welshie) on Monday, June 14, 2004 - 01:32 am: Edit

No practice tests but about two weeks before the test there is a flood of posts about the IIC and that is always good practice. Sorry about the misdirection.

-Jesse

By Altf4 (Altf4) on Monday, June 14, 2004 - 01:38 am: Edit

kk thanks for clearing that up, anyone else?

By Madd87 (Madd87) on Monday, June 14, 2004 - 09:28 pm: Edit

If you just finished precal you should be fine... it's fresh in your mind. Don't sweat it. Barrons is the best though.

I had calculus and it helped on only one question which you could have done without calculus but it would take slightly longer. I think the year gap from precal to when I took the test hurt more than it helped.

By Ace1120 (Ace1120) on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 12:34 am: Edit

i did so bad on the SATII math, and i think the main problem for me was a. i didn't study and i thought itd be easy because i had breezed through precalc freshman year (2 years ago...and i was doing great in bccalc this year), b. i have a TI89 and got a little too carried away with its features, namely the solve button, and I doublechecked things on my calculator too much. i ended up running out of time, with 10 questions that i just left blank. I should have cancelled, but I thought that i got the questions that i did answer all right, so i'd still have a chance, but i was wrong when i got my below 700 score =( so the moral of the story is, study in advance! if i had time to study back when i took the test, i would have used my barrons book. i think barrons makes things harder than they really turn out to be, but it's good practice. i know this from their SAT1 and ACT prep books. alright, i think this was an exceptionally long post, so i'll wrap it up now. btw, good luck!

By Altf4 (Altf4) on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 01:47 am: Edit

thanks, no i'm a bit concerned because i have just finished pre calc with a solid A, however, i was looking through the practice test in "reals" and some stuff was just unfamiliar, not in that i never learned the material, but as in forgetting how to do certain pre calc problems. maybe its the onset of summer?

ok, thanks for the advice, i will go get barrons because i have the entire summer to study before the october test, where i might have to retake bio as well, we'll see.

i'd appreciate any book with solid review just because i need most of it on my first semester topics, like simple trig.

this is because the topics that are actually fresh in my mind include limits, derivatives, and integration from calculus ( i took honors pre calc, so the beginning portion of calculus was learned this 2nd semester)

By Varr (Varr) on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 09:06 am: Edit

Altf4- I'm a raising Junior as well. Im also looking for a good book for the MathIIC, I really like barron's books (Im about to finish their SATII BIOLOGY E/M, excellent book by the way) but Im not shure I want a book that is soo long since I wont have much time to finish it :(
I dont know I might end up taking SATII Chem instead of the SATII MathIIc.
Anyway...

I will also be taking the test in October :)
good luck!:)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page