Sweet Jesus, Putnam is easy!!!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: June 2004 Archive: Sweet Jesus, Putnam is easy!!!
By Apocalypse_Now (Apocalypse_Now) on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 05:22 pm: Edit

Anybody here thinking of taking the Putnam math competition next year? Can any college student take it or do you have to be on your school's team? I don't even know why i'm asking these questions. There's no way in hell that i'd even come close to winning it.

By Billiam2 (Billiam2) on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 08:53 pm: Edit

you dont have to be on your school's team to do it. You can still be a fellow and not be on your school's team.

By Kingdvl (Kingdvl) on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 09:37 pm: Edit

im gonna take it next year..havent seen any sample questions though

By Texas137 (Texas137) on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 10:13 pm: Edit

you have to take it through a college (you can't just take it on your own). But you do not have to be one of the students that the college designates as the members of their official team. You don't even have to be an enrolled student at that college. High school students occasionally take it at a local college (although they give up one of their 4 years of eligibility by doing so).

Billiam2 is right that someone can win w/o being on their school's team. Apparently a super-talented freshman at Princeton this year became a fellow, in spite of the fact that the faculty at Princeton were not sufficiently aware of her existance to designate her as part of the team.

There's a site somewhere on the web w/ old Putnam problems.You could probably google-search and find it. You can also connect w/ people interested in Putnam by going to the forums at www.artofproblemsolving.com

By Billiam2 (Billiam2) on Monday, June 14, 2004 - 12:13 am: Edit

kalva.

I think Melanie Wood was the girl you're talking about. She was an IMOer, and they talk about her a lot in the book "Countdown".

By Texas137 (Texas137) on Monday, June 14, 2004 - 01:23 am: Edit

It was Ana Caraini. She had been on the IMO team for her own country (some place in eastern Europe), but the Putnam sponsor at Princeton apparently did not know what they had. She was one of the top 5 individuals on Putnam 12/2003, but was not on Princeton's designated team.

Melanie did Putnam as an undergrad at Duke, not Princeton. (although I think she may be going to P'ton for grad school. Not sure.) I read Countdown, too. Interesting book.

kalva, yes, that's it.

By Incognita (Incognita) on Monday, June 14, 2004 - 02:13 pm: Edit

Moderators:

I am tired of people using the lord's name in vain, even if it's only on a Website like this.
THis is probably the second one i've seen so far (there was one in the financail aid thread) COuld you please do something about this?

For all of us Christens out there, it's offending
I just had to get that out. Thanks

By Sandwraith (Sandwraith) on Monday, June 14, 2004 - 02:43 pm: Edit

you're a christen, huh? that a new sect of christians?

By Apocalypse_Now (Apocalypse_Now) on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 02:37 pm: Edit

Incognita, i'm sorry if i offended you, but frankly it's none of your business what i say. If i want to take the "lord's name in vain" that's my decision, it doesn't affect you. Anyway, if it really bothered you that much then you should have talked to me directly and politely asked me to stop, instead of whining to the moderator.

By Number9 (Number9) on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 05:14 pm: Edit

Incognita, I am offended that you did not capitalize Lord. You are demeaning Him, by not giving Him the proper capitalization. So, please shut up about that offending you, when you cannot even give Him proper respect in almost the same manner.

By Altsuperhero (Altsuperhero) on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 07:23 pm: Edit

wait ... incognita was serious??

I thought it was just a joke ...

those free speech proponents on CC are vicious -not referring to previous posters but to previous threads... the ACLU must be smiling ...

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page