Too many APs?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: June 2004 Archive: Too many APs?
By Hopkinslax (Hopkinslax) on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 04:13 pm: Edit

Next year I will be taking 5 APs pretty much because I was forced into them(Because of weird schedule) and my mom thinks its too much
How would you rate these classes, and how difficult of a time will I most likely have?
AP US, AP Lit, AP Calc BC, AP Physics C, AP Spanish Language

By Elizabeth22 (Elizabeth22) on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 04:25 pm: Edit

There really isn't a standard level of difficulty for the classes- every teacher is different. For example, my AP US teacher was a joke, and it was the easiest class I've taken (can't say the same for the exam....). It really comes down to how many of the tests you're planning on taking, how intellectually gifted you are, how efficiently you study, and how well you handle stress. There's a kid at my school who took 5 APs this year, and never seemed to break a sweat. I took 2 and was far more frantic. It's really a matter of what you're ready for. If your extracurriculars take up a lot of time, you might want to rethink a couple of those. Good luck.

By Susu (Susu) on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 05:45 pm: Edit

Check with kids at your school who've taken the classes to ascertain whether you can manage it or not. At our school, one US History teacher goes over everything in class, line by line, so there's hardly any studying and it's fairly easy. The other teacher (same course) assigns TONS of reading and essays, so it's a huge time sink. The cagey (not necessarily brave, but cagey) students make sure to get into the easier US History teacher's class, or switch classes. (My D endured the harder teacher and paid with a slightly lower GPA.)

By Altf4 (Altf4) on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 06:42 pm: Edit

the trick is that you want to take AP's just like everyone else, but you also want to have a life besides 100% studying each day, so the trick is balance.

i've decided to take 2 AP's and one honors as a junior next year, so i can put in some dedication towards running and a few clubs as well.

you might want to ask previous takers of those classes so they might advise you what to do.

By Guitarshredder (Guitarshredder) on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 06:47 pm: Edit

Looks pretty rough to me. I think having a courseload like that will be exhausting. You might be able to get by if those are the ONLY classes you are taking. If you have very time consuming ECs or work during the week you might be in trouble.

By Lisasimpson (Lisasimpson) on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 07:01 pm: Edit

hopkins, i have the same schedule as you only i'm taking AP bio and AP stats instead of AP spanish. i'm pretty worried.

By Miamiman (Miamiman) on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 07:13 pm: Edit

same here hopkins,
same schedule except instead of AP Spanish and AP Lit, I'll have AP European History, AP US Gov't and AP Comp Sci A.

im not too worried, since i've had all the teachers who teach those AP subjects im taking next year. Except for maybe two of them, the rest are pretty lax on the amount of work. maybe too lax

By Joshjmgs (Joshjmgs) on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 08:08 pm: Edit

Im doing AP PHysics C, Calc BC, US His, and AP Writing/Comp. Our writing/comp is an easy class, but I have to work for the other APs. Im doing a whole bunch of stuff in school and during the weekends, like tutoring research, yearbook, lab assistant, cooking club (founder), working with special needs kids, model un. Im not that worried, because I had a pretty rough schedule this year. So its definitely doable, especially if you guys go to public school and get home at 3! I get home from school at 7 and I take 10 classes a day. Next year only 9, because I had to drop spanish so i can do EC stuff

By Texas137 (Texas137) on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 08:15 pm: Edit

I agree with the suggestion that you should talk to people at your school who have had these classes with particular teachers at your school. There is a LOT of difference from teacher to teacher in how much work is required for AP exams (also how well students do, but that's another issue).

By Phyliciasteph (Phyliciasteph) on Monday, June 14, 2004 - 08:23 am: Edit

apush is easy...as long as you pay attention and have a good memory its hard to fail,..ap lit in my school was time consuming and it really depends on your current level of skill in writing, ap physics is also time consuming and it takes ALOT of practice. as for ap spanish...i hear that the ap languages are the hardest, as for the calc, i have no clue.

if you feel like you are going to be stressed than i would advise not to take them, especially since you were pushed into them.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page