A Jump from Calc AB to Calc BC?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: June 2004 Archive: A Jump from Calc AB to Calc BC?
By Tan125 (Tan125) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 08:57 pm: Edit

Let's say that I absolutely mastered materials taught by AB. How long do I need to spend to prepare for the BC exam? There is only one extra chapter left (Seq and Series), and I have already learned integration by parts. Are two months too much? Would that be considered overpreparation?

By Liiaang (Liiaang) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 09:26 pm: Edit

you also need polar, parametrics, and those improper integral stuff if you havn't studied them already. i think two months are more than enough if you study on a daily basis.

By Stonedpanda (Stonedpanda) on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 05:17 am: Edit

I agree with liiaang (kick ay-es-es name, bro). A friend and I jumped from AP Calc AB to BC after the second test (about limits) because we were kicking sooo much ay-es-es.

By Madd87 (Madd87) on Monday, June 14, 2004 - 09:43 pm: Edit

Sequences and Series, Integration techniques, Vectors, Polars, Parametrics, Taylor and Power Series.. 2 months is a good amount ... might need more considering you are learning it yourself.

I'm not sure whats not in AB that is in BC, but I remember something about AB only going through chapter 5 or 6 while BC went through 12, but a lot of that was integration techniques... so..

good luck.

By Thermodude (Thermodude) on Monday, June 14, 2004 - 11:42 pm: Edit

I self-studied BC this year....and it didn't take that long...in my book...AB was chapters 1-6...and BC was chapers 7, 8 and 10 (yeah...BC was covered in 1/2 the chapters as AB)....anyways...I would completely recommend that you do BC in one year....its really not too much extra studying...and it can really open up your schedule. The difference between an AP and BC class really is more like the difference between a 2 quarters vs 3 quarters of calc class.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page