1350 for ivy leagues

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: June 2004 Archive: 1350 for ivy leagues
By Hhfm786 (Hhfm786) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 06:21 pm: Edit

in the end of junior year i scored a 1350 (740m/610v) should i spend the summer raising my score to a 1400+ or spend my summer studying for 3 sat 2s (math 2c, writing, and chem) WHAT SHOULD I DO!!!!

By Adjlad (Adjlad) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 06:23 pm: Edit

both

take one in oct and the other in nov

By Hhfm786 (Hhfm786) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 06:26 pm: Edit

wont it be too late to send the scores when applying to colleges??

By Adjlad (Adjlad) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 06:27 pm: Edit

no, they'll get there on time

By Hhfm786 (Hhfm786) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 06:30 pm: Edit

whats the best way to boost my verbal over the summer....any books you recommend???

By Acethesats (Acethesats) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 07:04 pm: Edit

Vocab flash cards

By Altf4 (Altf4) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 07:27 pm: Edit

assemble a lot of words into cards, get the words from the lists in the back of sat prep books, from online dictionary's "word of the day" lists.

By Ericng314 (Ericng314) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 08:53 pm: Edit

i have a 1350 for SAT... I'm planning to do ED cornell.. Any possibilities? My SAT ii are 670 670 and 700

By The_Wanderer (The_Wanderer) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 09:38 pm: Edit

yeah you should raise SAT, I got a huge stack of flashcards. You don't seem to have a lotta trouble wit Math... so just work like crazy on your wordage.

By Qwert271 (Qwert271) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 10:47 pm: Edit

Dont do flashcards. Read. Its a whole lot more enjoyable, and more effective. In order to cut down say 10 wrong vocab questions out of the 39 on the SAT, you would have to learn hundreds or thousnads of words. Do achieve the same feat on the CR section you only neeed to improve your reading skills. Read 40 minutes per day consistently for a few months and youre all set. Youll find that you're vocab skills are improved too. One more thing: god forbid you actually get something out of all this SAT frenzy, but reading will expand your mind.

By Crypto86 (Crypto86) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 10:53 pm: Edit

I somewhat agree with qwert271. Reading would be a ton more enjoyable than learning vocab words. However, for some people (at least in my case) learning numerous vocab words would be more advantageous to getting a better verbal score because it's a simple matter of knowing them and recalling them. You don't have to analyze them or anything like CR. Also, since we have the entire summer, it wouldn't be too hard to memorize a lot of words. Even 10 a day would get 500+ for October.

By Masihshinwa (Masihshinwa) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 11:11 pm: Edit

I would not recommend memorizing vocabulary words because it does not help you that much with the test. For example last summer I memorized like 2000 words and only ten of those words came on my SAT test.

Practice is one of the best ways to get higher score on the verbal section. So keep practicing from the 10 Real SAT book.

By Confused86 (Confused86) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 11:13 pm: Edit

get a life, seriously an sat will not make up for a spoiled summer. actually i would do some summer intership or some research project ith a porfedssor, its more impressive than a stupid score

By Sulskman (Sulskman) on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 07:20 am: Edit

If you have a good box of words, IT HELPS A LOT! I did the box from testtakers and a majority of the words were on BOTH the may and march exam. Get a GOOD box, GOOD being the key word!

By Qwert271 (Qwert271) on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 03:03 pm: Edit

There is no way someone can just learn 10 words a day for 50 days straight. You'll forget them. period. Unless you put a lot of time into reviewing, quizzing yourself, blah blah. I'm suggesting my method from experience. Reading worked for me. I improved 130 points on the V section from PSAT to SAT 6months later reading.

By Haruhara (Haruhara) on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 04:41 pm: Edit

if you've got a good memory, memorize 10 words a day. very easy: just repeat the word and the definition around 150 times in your head. if you're genetically superior, just take a quick glance at them and that'll be fine.

By Altsuperhero (Altsuperhero) on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 07:35 pm: Edit

haha ... I love the 'genetically superior'

reading is better than memorizing since memorizing is tedious and most people (I'd say all but then I'd be excluding the autists, the OC's, and the word nerds) give up quickly.

reading helps with CR and vocabulary, but it would be far more advantageous if people learn the right way to read - no, I'm not suggesting that people are illiterate, but a lot of people have the painful habit of reading without actually interpreting (I used to have that)

you read through a page, and then when you look back at it, you don't remember what you just read

in addition, lots of reading won't help you build vocabulary unless you actually look up the words you don't know. don't be lazy, get a good dictionary or read next to your computer - a person's deduction skills and ability to infer from the context is no substitute for a real definition

btw, 1350 isn't a bad score, and people have gotten into ivies with worse ...

okay ... enough of pandering to the original poster ... I agree with a previous poster that a summer isn't really worth wasting on just studying for sat's and sat ii's ... if you didn't take the time to study for those during the school year and before you took the SAT's, then it's not likely that you'll devote a summer to studying for them ..

not everyone gets into Ivies, and the Ivies aren't for everyone ... are you sure you want to go there, or are you just looking at the name

and after all that meandering, i guess i should respond to the original poster's question: 'what should i do?'

enjoy your summer ... you'll only be a high school student for so long ...

and those SAT's? screw them (like Anthony Hopkins says in reference to government in movie Legends of the Fall)

By Hhfm786 (Hhfm786) on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 11:23 pm: Edit

i jus made the post to encompass the selectivity of schools i would like to go to......i wanna do medecine....my top 5 schools i am going to apply to are
1. johns hopkins
2. columbia
3. northwestern
4. cornell
5. UNC- chapel hill

By Hhfm786 (Hhfm786) on Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 02:44 pm: Edit

i did spend time studying....i got a 1060 on my psats last year....i spent 3 months studying and improved....but i question if my scores are good enough for my top 5 picks for college

By Opalstar (Opalstar) on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 09:52 am: Edit

U should try reading one of those "books" like tooth and nail, u know? the ones with the bolded vocab words. They get u familiar with the vocab without making u crazy with memorization

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page