SCORES? what goes, "A" or "97"?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: June 2004 Archive: SCORES? what goes, "A" or "97"?
By Haruhara (Haruhara) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 05:23 pm: Edit

say if you get a 92 in a class. does it go to colleges as an "A" or a "92"?

By Qwert271 (Qwert271) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 05:32 pm: Edit

It goes as the letter grade. But thats because that's my school's system. There are never any numbers on my report card, just letters and +'s or -'s.

By So0perb0y (So0perb0y) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 06:27 pm: Edit

+'s and -'s arent seen by colleges

the only thing they see is the letter.

By Jf215 (Jf215) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 06:39 pm: Edit

really? THey don't see + and -. So if someone gets a B+, its the same as someone getting a B-? I find that unlikely.

By Billiam2 (Billiam2) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 06:47 pm: Edit

i think he's just talking about at his school/

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 06:51 pm: Edit

It depends entirely on how your school reports grades to colleges. This can differ widely from the official transcript or the end of the year grades you may see. It is important that you ask your counselors what is reported on the college transcript and if certain things can be eliminated by request. When my son graduated 4 years ago, I found that at his school, all sorts of nonsense was on the transcript and I had them removed. They included regents scores, SAT2 scores including those held back by score choice (that is no longer an issue), standardized test scores that no one really needed to see.

Some schools will eliminate the +s and -s, others will not. Effort grades are often eliminated. Sometimes only year end grades are reported unless the course ended or you dropped out midyear. I have known students who made themselves sick over a few Cs or lower they received in some quarters only to find that they were not on the college transcript--just the year end mark. Check and see what your schools do.

By Eeeeyor (Eeeeyor) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 06:58 pm: Edit

does anyone think that there should be a difference between a 100 and a 90 on a weighted gpa??

By Haruhara (Haruhara) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 08:35 pm: Edit

IS there a difference between a 100 and 90 on the GPA scale (unweighted, for colleges)?

By Haruhara (Haruhara) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 11:45 pm: Edit

bump. i'm desperate to know

By Andrew1218 (Andrew1218) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 11:55 pm: Edit

at my school there is no incentive for working hard so i strive for 89.5% and dont do homework, get my A- and laugh at the kid who works his tail off to get his 104%. Since our school is on a quarter system (pretty rare for high schools), EVERY grade for EVERY quarter goes on our transcripts sent to colleges, i would consider that a good thing because if you're taking a lot of weighted classes, it gets even more weighted. By the way--do colleges really care that much about freshman year, because i got a few b's freshman year in geometry and spanish and havent got any since.

By Feuler (Feuler) on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 12:56 am: Edit

Our school has no +/- grades, and only semester grades. I'm glad we don't, though, because grading varies so much teacher to teacher. My AP US History teacher gives about half his kids A's, whereas the other one will probably not give any, maybe one, out of about 70 kids. If there were +/- grades, GPA would depend extensively on which teachers you've had.

Lucky for me, though, Stanford (where I'm taking distance learning math) does give +/- grades, and I've gotten all A+s, so colleges see those but don't see the low 90s on get in classes I don't do homework for.

By Stonedpanda (Stonedpanda) on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 05:15 am: Edit

My school works on quarters, but it is cumulative. So the first homework assignment of the year counts on our transcript that colleges see.

By K0w (K0w) on Monday, June 14, 2004 - 02:24 am: Edit

hmm im having some problems on my transcript. seems that i have 10 A- and the rest A's (except for 2 B+) do schools even care about the little "-" sign since ive been worrying a little bit now (sophomore year.) . i mean, a couple of "-" are ok, but half my courses have them! i dunno y my teachers keep giving me A- when i already have a 93 in the class. what'll schools think (ivy's, dont ask me why) if they saw a ton of A-'s? thanks

By Cognitio (Cognitio) on Monday, June 14, 2004 - 01:05 pm: Edit

Ah see, in my school, A is 95-100, and A- is 91-94, and a 90 is considered a B+! Seems a bit unfait.

By Iplayoboe (Iplayoboe) on Monday, June 14, 2004 - 01:24 pm: Edit

on our transcripts, from -0 to -3 is a minus, -4 to -6 is just the letter and -7 to -9 is a plus. except for As, there are no pluses or minuses on As, the school did that to reduce the stress, which it does. and considering how few people get above 93, they dont mind it either. and decimals round up, so getting an 89.5 counts as an A.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page