Latin Roots

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: June 2004 Archive: Latin Roots
By Norseviking (Norseviking) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 01:50 pm: Edit

Does anyone know of a book that contains Latin roots, prefixes, suffixes, and anything else that will help improve my vocabulary?

By Justperfect (Justperfect) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 02:01 pm: Edit

stick to words and dont waste your time with the roots

By Number9 (Number9) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 02:03 pm: Edit

Most roots come naturally. Once you build a strong vocabulary, you'll make more connections with roots and such.

By Norseviking (Norseviking) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 02:09 pm: Edit

Is there any book that has all the SAT words ever used in it? Is the Barron's 3500 overkill?

By Kousuke (Kousuke) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 02:18 pm: Edit

probably, considering if you only study the words theyve already used the chances youll see them on your test are small, maybe 2 or 3 of the words. if you look at the list of words in barrons that were reused youll notice that there were only about 150. meaning out of over 47 or so tests only 150 words were reused. your chances of getting a word theyve already used is pretty small. the only vocab word off that list that i remember seeing during an actual SAT was "bane." Woopy! memorized 150 words, and got one extra question right on the test! i really dont think you should waste your time with words theyve already used.

By Norseviking (Norseviking) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 02:25 pm: Edit

Someone said that ETS is reusing old tests for all the remaining SAT Is until the new edition comes out in 2005. So I figure memorizing a list of all the words ever used would be pretty darn helpful.

By Averagemathgeek (Averagemathgeek) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 03:09 pm: Edit

Barrons has a list of roots; however, I just studied the vocabulary (I have a minute vocabulary, so I needed to learn most of the words) and saw a tremendous improvement.

By Justperfect (Justperfect) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 07:31 pm: Edit

you do better if you can regonize a word rather than disecting it into parts, and youll pry have to do it for all eight worsd/4 words in order to advance;rather if you know a word youll be able to complete the problem in less than a min or so and move on; remeber this is a time test and you wont have extra time for dissecting it;

By Elizabeth22 (Elizabeth22) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 09:23 pm: Edit

Unless you have a fairly good command of Latin, it's a waste of time to study this way. And if you are fairly competent in Latin, just study words that come up in Latin literature- your old vocab lists are probably good. Think of derivatives for each word. If you don't know Latin, just go with the Princeton Review's Hit Parade- assuming your SATs are soon, now is not the time to be studying the etymology of words you'll need.

By Titanz05 (Titanz05) on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 12:01 am: Edit

http://abasiccurriculum.com/homeschool/roots/

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page