How Did You Do On The 6/12 ACT?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: June 2004 Archive: How Did You Do On The 6/12 ACT?
By Shannon05 (Shannon05) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 12:37 pm: Edit

i thougth it was easier than aprils test, i felt the math was hard though, but thats prob b/c math comes hard to me, but what did you guys think?

By Forsakn4 (Forsakn4) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 12:54 pm: Edit

math was harder than all the real practice tests
are we allowed to discuss questions?

By Shannon05 (Shannon05) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 01:11 pm: Edit

im not sure yet..prob later tonight for sure we can discuss questions.

By Eeeeyor (Eeeeyor) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 01:42 pm: Edit

im pretty sure everyone is done now

By Phi2402 (Phi2402) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 01:45 pm: Edit

Anyone remember any questions?

By Bfjava (Bfjava) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 01:46 pm: Edit

eh, wow, the math was easy I thought. Everything else though, ****! I had to randomly fill in 4 of the last 5 English, the last 9 reading, and the last 6-7 science. The way my practice tests have been is basically the ones I actually do I get right. Soo I'm hoping I miss very few out of the ?s I did and then perhaps pickup a few of the 200000000 ?s that I had to blindly fill in. :(

Time wasn't an issue for me during the real ACT practice tests. I dunno what happened today :( Definitely retake.

But anyways, what do you think the curves will be?

By Esotericstorm (Esotericstorm) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 01:51 pm: Edit

I thought it was a lot easier than February's, but this time I was good on time, so that might be why.

By Phi2402 (Phi2402) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 01:53 pm: Edit

Bfjava, I filled in many ovals at random too! I was fine in English and Math -- but in Reading, I started the science bumble bee passage with about 5 minutes left and had to guess on MANY of those questions. Science I had to guess on the last 5 also.

This was my first time taking the ACT and I did no preparation! I just want to see how I did (if I did poorly I won't send them to colleges) and perhaps beat my SAT Score (1270).

By Eeeeyor (Eeeeyor) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 01:56 pm: Edit

esoteric, if you thot it was easier do you think the curve will be worse than the one you had in february? if so what was the curve?

anyone remember the science question in the last passage about adding oxygen?? i didnt have time to really read taht one; its the only one i wasnt sure about.

By Whightknight (Whightknight) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 01:59 pm: Edit

What was up with that 5th section. Why was it there; I never saw it on any of my previous ACT tests. Is ACT creating that as an experimental section now ? Btw there is no curve bfjava. The act is graded directly from a raw score to a scaled score based on the number missed.
Time was defintely an issue. I have never had enough time to finish the reading/ science for 3 straight test attempts now..... argg this is so frustrating.

By Phi2402 (Phi2402) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 02:00 pm: Edit

How is the scaled score actually calculated?

By Phi2402 (Phi2402) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 02:01 pm: Edit

I didn't have a 5th section, aside from the 10 questions about the test administration.

By Bfjava (Bfjava) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 02:01 pm: Edit

haha, I didn't have an experimental section. If I did I would not do it either. It'd be my way to get them back for not giving more time for reading :)

Oh but there is a curve...sometimes...they don't score it using 35/40 * 36 for one of the sections. They do have a scaled score...

By Eeeeyor (Eeeeyor) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 02:01 pm: Edit

5th section? and yes there is a curve

By Esotericstorm (Esotericstorm) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 02:05 pm: Edit

Only some people had 5th sections, and most of us were lucky apparently.

I don't know what the curve for Feb. was because on the score report they just gave me my subscore for each section, not how many I missed.

By Whightknight (Whightknight) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 02:06 pm: Edit

hmm you sure there is a curve? Maybe it is because I live in Iowa they decided to give us all an experimental section since they basically run my state (their world HQ is in Iowa City). God damn this sucks. Get an extra section and don't have time to do the normal sections anyways....

By Whightknight (Whightknight) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 02:19 pm: Edit

What type of answers did you guys get for the first passage (prose fiction) of the reading section ?? I guessed a lot in that one, so I would like to see if my guesses were near correct at all. hah.

And for the science one.... what was the reason the guy would use 2 spheres for the potential energy and kinetic energy experiment ?

By Eeeeyor (Eeeeyor) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 02:34 pm: Edit

different masses

By Shannon05 (Shannon05) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 02:34 pm: Edit

anyone agree with me that we should get an hour for reading, not freakin 35 min!, i didnt finish like 5 questions for reading, so i jus randomly filed in those 5, happened last time also

By Whightknight (Whightknight) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 02:42 pm: Edit

I defintely agree.... however there is no hope for our cause so why bother continuing this dream.

By Phi2402 (Phi2402) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 02:43 pm: Edit

eeeeyor, I think there were two answer choices about masses, something along the lines: "to compare the different masses with height" or "to compare the different masses with the KE"
Do you remember which one was correct?

Last math question = -5?

English: - "for evolution to..." ?
- "community leaders, WHO ADMIRED her for her blah blah..."?
- one about "who/whom"

Reading: order of the bees: nurse....forager?

By Phi2402 (Phi2402) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 02:45 pm: Edit

Anyone remember if there were any B's at the end of the bumble bee passage? That's what I filled in for the last 6 or 7 lol.

By Eeeeyor (Eeeeyor) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 02:51 pm: Edit

oh yeah with KE then, what was the last math again?

By Whightknight (Whightknight) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 02:57 pm: Edit

the community leaders, who admired her. You wouldn't use whom in that situation. I put the different masses to measure total mechanical energy. Can that be right ???
It was nurse..*****..receiver...forager for the bees one. Also why did the bees take honey with them when they leave the place: was it to mix with the pollen or to attract other bees to follow their scent ???
And yeah, what was the last math question ?
Any I don't think there were many B's at the end of the bees passage, how about the first prose fiction passage, I marked all B's for 6 or 7, were there many of them for the 1st reading passage ????

By Amitabh (Amitabh) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 02:58 pm: Edit

IMO the math was the easiest its ever been. The english was mediocore, but thats because i panicked due to it being the first part of the test. Reading i bomb as usual. Science was EASY needed more time though had to randomly fill in 5

By Phi2402 (Phi2402) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 02:59 pm: Edit

Something about the least value x - y could be... sorry can't remember the actual question.

By Eeeeyor (Eeeeyor) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 03:01 pm: Edit

anyone remember the science question in the last passage about adding oxygen??

By Eeeeyor (Eeeeyor) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 03:02 pm: Edit

yeah it was -5

By Phi2402 (Phi2402) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 03:02 pm: Edit

"the community leaders, who admired her. You wouldn't use whom in that situation." Oh yeah I know, I meant another question there were whom/who choices, I don't know if you remember it.

I remember having a couple of B's somewhere in the test (whole thing is a blur lol), but that might have been it actually.

By Phi2402 (Phi2402) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 03:03 pm: Edit

Anyone who completed science, any C's at the end? :)

By Whightknight (Whightknight) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 03:11 pm: Edit

Yeah, -5 was the answer to the last math section. I recall it now. What was the answer to the question that had x = yz in the problem, 2nd or 3rd last math question ? And which graph was the correct one for the absolute value of the velocity of the guy in the hot-air ballon where they gave you a graph of his altitude at the beginning.

By Umbrasquall (Umbrasquall) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 03:11 pm: Edit

For the oxygen one, since the reaction was anaerobic if you add O2 it lessens the amount of S produced.

By Phi2402 (Phi2402) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 03:17 pm: Edit

For the x= yz, it was

X^2
-
Z

By So0perb0y (So0perb0y) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 03:21 pm: Edit

x^2/z is correct...

prob: x=yz... solve for xy

x=yz --> y=x/z
xy--> x * x/z = x^2 / z

By Whightknight (Whightknight) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 03:22 pm: Edit

K, I think I put that, I put an answer with a squared term in the numerator, and I think that was the only one with a squared term in the numerator.
How about the graph of the absolute value of the velocity ?

By So0perb0y (So0perb0y) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 03:22 pm: Edit

y-x is answer to question that goes...

if |x|=-x and |y| = y what answer has to be positive? (something to that effect)

By So0perb0y (So0perb0y) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 03:23 pm: Edit

absolute value of velocity i got answer choice b

By Whightknight (Whightknight) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 03:25 pm: Edit

Oh yeah, what was the damn answer to the question that said: 7x-3(2x-4)=10 ??? I got so confused on that; I spent 5 minutes on it thinking it was a polynomial multiplied by another polynomial(7X-3) x (2X-4)= 10 is what I took it as, but then I finall figured out the 3 was a factor of the 2x-4 and I think I put the answer that said x = -2 or 2.
And was the one with 25sin theta and 25 cos theta as the two legs, what would be the length of the longest side. Was that the square root of 625, 25. Were those 2 right ??

By Phi2402 (Phi2402) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 03:26 pm: Edit

It wasn't xy for that one so0perb0y?

By Whightknight (Whightknight) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 03:30 pm: Edit

Sweet, I put B for the velcoity graph too.

sooperboy:
If -3 <= x <= 1 and 2 <= y <= some other number. What as the least value of x-y you could have ?
And the answer was with x = -3 and y = 2 you would get -5.
The answer to the |x| = -x ..... was the one that gave a positive answer by having a negative x multiplied by a negative y, I think. One of the answer choices did that, or it was a -x / -y.

By Jlaws30 (Jlaws30) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 03:31 pm: Edit

The 5th section doesn't count, does it? I had to randomly fill the last 5 on reading and science. I think I did well on the other two though. What score on this test converts to about a 1300 SAT?

By Forsakn4 (Forsakn4) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 03:34 pm: Edit

English-
Passage about scuba diving:
-what sentence is most descriptive and appealing about the fish-among the variety of fish, which some are harmless?
Math:
-absolute value graph-h
-last problem- -5
-circle gets diameter tripled-9
-longest side of triangle with 25sin0, 25cos0-25
-gemetric & arithmetic sequence-1
-(2x-4)(7x-4)=10…sumthing like that- -2/13
x=yz-x2/Z
-if |x|=-x and |y| = y what answer has to be positive?y-x
Reading:
First passage prose fiction:
What were the answers to the first questions?
-what is the point of view-child…sumthing I cant remember
Science:
Primary cause of fractures-stress
Amlade or whatever is used…great amount of SO4
Chromium orbital-3p6
Oxygen-120?
KE+PE constant-trial 4 cuz KE=0
Lets try to get a official list going for science and reading cuz they were small
And hard questions for math and eng

By Phi2402 (Phi2402) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 03:35 pm: Edit

Approx. 29 or 30 comp.

By So0perb0y (So0perb0y) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 03:36 pm: Edit

i'm pretty sure its x^2 /z ...my explanation makes sense right?

x=-2 for the 3x-3(2x-4)=10 question -just distribute right?...

"One of the answer choices did that, or it was a -x / -y. " i think is a different question where they give you something like x/y and they ask which of the following is different (where the answer choices are all different forms of x/y), and the answer i think is something like x/-y

By Whightknight (Whightknight) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 03:39 pm: Edit

Are you sure the 7x-3(2x-4) = 10 was -2/13 , I think -2 works. Also the primary cause of fractures is the cold temperature, at first I put stress, but the stress is caused by the cold temperature shift that occurs. right ??
It was a child who told the events as they occured to her or a child who can see the thoughts of others. Which one was right as the point of view ?? Or was it one of the adult ones ?

By Whightknight (Whightknight) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 03:41 pm: Edit

Yeah, sooperboy, you're right. As forsaken said y-x was the correct answer to the |x| = -x ........ ; x/-y was the answer to another question.

By So0perb0y (So0perb0y) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 03:41 pm: Edit

"what sentence is most descriptive and appealing about the fish-among the variety of fish, which some are harmless? "
---answer says the word "brilliantly colored fish" (pretty sure)

"-absolute value graph-h"
---i think its g

"longest side of triangle with 25sin0, 25cos0-25"
---panicked so put "cant solve" :p

"-(2x-4)(7x-4)=10…sumthing like that- -2/13"
---why are there so many different versions of this problem? (i.e. someone else wrote: 7x-3(2x-4)=10 ) i got -2...?

"What were the answers to the first questions? "
---need questions to remember answers :/ what was passage about?

...and science, f science.

By Bfjava (Bfjava) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 03:45 pm: Edit

yea, I got H for the abs value graph too. All absolute value of an equation does is make all the negative y values positive. As the graph showed before, there were no negative y values, so I think the abs value graph should look the same as the given graph. That's what I did anyway, so H or whatever the last oval was.

By Bfjava (Bfjava) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 03:45 pm: Edit

What letter did you get for the dimensions of the fence? It was #38ish i think. I got 33x45 or something like that, but I think I marked the wrong oval. I marked the second one, er, was that right?

By Forsakn4 (Forsakn4) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 03:47 pm: Edit

34by46-difference of twelve i think it was the third oval

By Forsakn4 (Forsakn4) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 03:49 pm: Edit

how abt the answer to the question in the reading the first passage what is the point of view of the author?
choices were child and adult and it gave reasons for each

By Whightknight (Whightknight) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 03:52 pm: Edit

It was 34 by 46, except I thought that was the 2nd oval.
Also the absolute graph was G I think. It CAN NOT be the last 3 because they all had non-blank points at the corners. And since I took calculus, you can't take the derivative of a corner, and the derivative of distance = velocity, so thus it had to be the 1st or 2nd choice (f,g) because the others didn't have blank circles are the corners. And it couldn't have been the first graph because it showed only an increasing velocity the whole time, but obviously at the end there had to be a velocity of 0, so it was the 2nd choice (G) if I reasoned correctly that is.......

By Whightknight (Whightknight) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 03:54 pm: Edit

I marked A for very first question of the reading passage, or whichever one the point of view question was. A child who told the events as they occured to her (choice A).

By Bfjava (Bfjava) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 03:55 pm: Edit

yea, i've taken calc too. ha, i didn't realize it said abs value of velocity, though. ehh i "velocity...." oh well - just missed one ? I think

By Whightknight (Whightknight) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 03:57 pm: Edit

What did you guys put for the question towards the end of the English section that talked about disnosaurs and that C***** asteriod. The question had the word mammals in it, and it was one of the last questions of that passage. The choices were like for.......to ; to......for; It was testing idiom; I can only remember the prepositions at the end of each choice differed.

By Antique (Antique) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 03:58 pm: Edit

Was choice G the one with the horizontal lines on the graph? The speed remained the same for each portion of the graph, therefore it makes sense that the speed be represented by horizontal lines.

Did anyone think Science was unusually hard?!

By Ecnerwalc (Ecnerwalc) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 04:01 pm: Edit

I do not remember anything about an absolute value graph. ARe we getting different tests here?

By Whightknight (Whightknight) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 04:04 pm: Edit

It was a velocity vs time graph; However the absolute value of the velocity was used when plotting velocty for the answers. It was one question out of a set of 3 or 4 questions that all were tied together about a person who was changing altitude vs time originally.

By So0perb0y (So0perb0y) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 04:04 pm: Edit

point of view question
---definately was from adult looking back on childhood. really confident.

...i remember a question with "mammal" in it, cant remembenr anything else about it.

...yeah i thought science was hard.

...question with dimensions length 12 greater than width...use 160 feet... can anyone explain answer?

...choice F had horizontal lines on the graph, i think its G

By Jlaws30 (Jlaws30) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 04:11 pm: Edit

For the length 12 greater than width

Perimiter = 160

2x+2y=160
x+12=y
2x+2(x+12)=160
2x+2x+24=160
4x=136
x=34

34+12=y=46 right?

By Whightknight (Whightknight) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 04:12 pm: Edit

Say x = width; x + 12 = length;
2(length) + 2(width) = perimeter = 160;
2(x+12) + 2(x) = 4x+24 = 160;
4x = 136
x = 34; x+12 = 46
34 by 46 is the correct answer.

By Antique (Antique) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 04:19 pm: Edit

Was there also an answer choice like 36 by 44?

By Antique (Antique) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 04:23 pm: Edit

What about the question about skiing downhill or cross country? Was the answer like 17?

What about the question of the high school with 10th, 11th and 12th graders. Did you figure out the percentage that was the greatest?

By Whightknight (Whightknight) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 04:26 pm: Edit

The answer to the skiing one was 7; I do think. And the highest percentage was 11th grade based upon my quick calculations of comparing the ratios. Anyone else concur ?

By Eeeeyor (Eeeeyor) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 04:32 pm: Edit

are you sure that the 25sin0 and 25cos0 could be solved? if you assume 25 is the length of the side then wouldnt that make the other two sides 1's?? i didnt think you could solve that one, you have no definite angles or sides

By Eeeeyor (Eeeeyor) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 04:34 pm: Edit

and i think the reading question on the first passage about how the passage was told was a narrator that knew the thoughts of her mother

By Eeeeyor (Eeeeyor) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 04:35 pm: Edit

the skiing question was 8 i dont think 7 was a choice, it was 8 and 18

By Antique (Antique) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 04:37 pm: Edit

For the graph question, what was the total time spent above 200 meters?

By Whightknight (Whightknight) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 04:39 pm: Edit

I am pretty sure it was 7, hah ;P. Can anyone else remember ?

Also it said if the angle was between 0 and 90. And it was asking what is the Longest possible length for a side of the triangle, obviously this would be the hypotnuese. And it ends up being 25 if you have an angle of 45 degrees for 25sin X and 25cos X which fits in the parameters.

By Hhboyji (Hhboyji) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 04:39 pm: Edit

Science killed me..--^
It was harder than March ACT.
English was like in the middle
Math was easy (To easy I feel really weird like I messed it up)

By Whightknight (Whightknight) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 04:40 pm: Edit

3 hours; was the total time spent above 200 meters if I recall correctly.

By Eeeeyor (Eeeeyor) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 04:49 pm: Edit

but if you dont really have any angle or side the length could be anything ( 50, 75, 100...)

By Eeeeyor (Eeeeyor) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 04:49 pm: Edit

it was 3 hours and 6 min

By Bfjava (Bfjava) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 05:01 pm: Edit

meh, I just wished I had more time or rather worked faster, then I'd get a very high score. I don't think I'll miss much of anything other than the ones I didn't complete. What would a -10 on Reading equal out of 36? I don't think I missed anymore than that (considering I randomly filled in the last 8-9 :(). Also what about missing like -6 on the science. What kind of score would it be?

By Whightknight (Whightknight) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 05:06 pm: Edit

Missing 6 on science = 26 out of 36 or so. The science scale is the harshest out of all subjects on the ACT.

Ee...yor: Yes, but if you took ANY angle from 0 to 90, sin X + cos X = constant, so 25 sinx + 25 cos x = 25 simply by plugging in any angle for X, I think. ?

By Bfjava (Bfjava) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 05:13 pm: Edit

It was 25, there is no doubt. The longest side of a right triangle is the hypotenuse, which is obvioulsy 25 given the info.

-6 is a 26?? nooo, well, I don't know. The two scales I have from that ACT book are 27 and the other is 29. Let's hope this one is more like 29, heh. Plus just because I guessed on the last 6 doesn't mean I didn't get any right! Perhaps I'll pickup a few points, haha righhht...

Again, on the abs value of the graph one. Are you positive it asked for abs value of velocity? The way you worked it you need to know calc, which the ACT does not test. I think it just asked for the abs value of the given graph, which would be H! hehe i dunno??

By Antique (Antique) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 05:14 pm: Edit

I got 3 hours...

By Eeeeyor (Eeeeyor) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 05:22 pm: Edit

if your saying the hypotenuse is 25 from the given information then your also saying that the legs were each 1. that cant be

By Eeeeyor (Eeeeyor) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 05:27 pm: Edit

if umbrasquall is still here, could you explain how you would know that the oxygen decreased it if you didnt know wut how it being anearobic affected it??

By Bfjava (Bfjava) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 05:29 pm: Edit

yea, the hypotenuse was 25. look...it said 25cos(theta) and 25sin(theta) were the...angle? Actually, before I continue, do you mind telling me exactly what the question gave you? I don't quite remember, I just remember placing the 25 as the hypotenuse which is the answer.

What are the specifics to the question?

By Eeeeyor (Eeeeyor) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 05:45 pm: Edit

all it gave you was 25sin(theta) is one side and
25cos(theta) was the other , thats not enough

By Snappy987 (Snappy987) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 05:49 pm: Edit

" 7x-3(2x-4) = 10"
That was the correct form of the question, I'm postitive. Distribute them and you get -2.

By Maud (Maud) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 05:58 pm: Edit

what did you guys get for the one where it was like "how many people go cross country skiing" and something else...i forgot...
i think i put 8, which is probably wrong i just guessed

By Whightknight (Whightknight) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 06:00 pm: Edit

that equation is stupid - the one you are pointing out snappy. ACT needs to redo that problem, for the first 5 minutes I sat there trying to find the roots of the polynomial I thought it came out to be..... with 1 minute left in the math section I amazingly noticed I am supposed to distrubute the 3, but that problem seriously looked like a two different terms multiplied which equalled 10.
That other problem - the trig one - said x was inbetween 0 and 90 degrees, so I just plugged in 45 degrees in 25sin theta and 25 cos theta, and then used a^2 + b^2 = c^2 to obtain 25 as the hyptoneuse.
Also I am POSITIVE that the y- axis of the graph was labeled velocity with absolute value in parenthesis. The question itself indicated it was the absolute value of velocity that was placed on the y - axis if I recall correctly. And using my calculus reasoning the bottom 3 choices would be eliminated. Velocity = derivative of distance (altitude); and you can't take the derivative of a corner, which there were many of in the original altitude graph, thus eliminating the 3 bottom graph choices for the velocity question.
Also on the April ACT, I missed 4 science questions and got a 28 :(. So.... missing 6 I approximated to be a 26. The scale is extremely harsh for science.

By Whightknight (Whightknight) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 06:03 pm: Edit

Was 7 a choice on that skiing problem or was it 8 that I keep on meaning to refer to ??

By Esotericstorm (Esotericstorm) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 06:05 pm: Edit

I got -2 for that one as well.

Umm for the 25sin stuff I got 25, and I'm pretty sure that is right.

I also got the graph with horizontal lines for the absolute value one.

Can people post more reading section questions? I guessed a lot in the first passage.

By Eeeeyor (Eeeeyor) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 06:08 pm: Edit

ithink it was 8 but either way one is right, and
if you put in 45 for those two 25sin(45)^2 + 25cos(45)^2= 25 then the hypotenuse is squareroot of 25 so its 5??

By So0perb0y (So0perb0y) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 06:26 pm: Edit

anyone even remember what the diff reading passages were about?

-one of them was about a mom

By Maud (Maud) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 06:29 pm: Edit

(not in the real order)
1) a girl remembering her mother and something about how she kept the kitchen
2) one on leisure and how its decreasing because of economic pressures
3) one about an architect and the environment
4) honeybees and their different stages in life, or something like that

i think thats right, at least those are the ones I had

does anyone know if they decide the curve before the test is given, or after (based on everyone's scores)

thanks

By So0perb0y (So0perb0y) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 06:29 pm: Edit

-last one about bees

By Bfjava (Bfjava) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 06:37 pm: Edit

No no, it's 25. Look, if you know one side is 25sin(theta). THEREFORE, sin(theta) = y/25 and y does not matter, OR you could use cos(theta) = x/25. It does not matter! The hypotenuse is the longest side and is 25. Unless there's something I completley missed, I see no reason why it'd be not enough information. Any help?

Okay, now on the graph one. Okay, the y axis was labelled altitude...alright, based on your logic, you used 1st derivative. Ok, well, 1st derivative or velocity equals the slope! So you would need to find the slope of each interval and then compare it to the graph. The thing is I thought I was short on time (even though I wasn't) and rushed through this problem. So I didn't get an accurate depiction of parts E and F. I just noticed that they were step-wise functions or step-ups, whatever they called, which did not make sense to me. I don't see how the abs value of velocity would be those kinds of graphs. If we had the problem in front of us now we could defintely figure it out, heh

By Bfjava (Bfjava) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 06:38 pm: Edit

also, anyone who thinks they have the last 5-6 reading right remember which ovals they filled? I'm just wondering because I ran out of time and didn't even read the questions. I just randomly filled in ovals but I think I can recall which ones I circled, hehe. Soo, anyone?

Thanks!

By Shannon05 (Shannon05) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 06:39 pm: Edit

that story about the bees was weird, i thought the one about girl remembering her mother was the most boring.

By Eeeeyor (Eeeeyor) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 06:40 pm: Edit

unless you have one of the sides the hypotenuse could be anything, you guys are wrong.
just like if you have three angles you can make a triangle without knowing a side there are infinite solutions

By Michiganfreak (Michiganfreak) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 06:48 pm: Edit

Actually I thought the question asked for the longest LEG not side, in which case the answer is not enough information.

By Eeeeyor (Eeeeyor) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 06:50 pm: Edit

if it asked for side, leg, or hypotenuse its not enough info

By So0perb0y (So0perb0y) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 07:11 pm: Edit

definately asked for hyp :)

-i guessed not enough info. must've drawn 3 triangles trying to label it lol.

By Sulskman (Sulskman) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 07:26 pm: Edit

i thought the 1st passage about the weird mother was interesting actually. That bee passage was very hard, I guessed on most of them.
And, Science. Ouch!! I know it was easier if you focus as the answers were all there, but I was sick and didn't have the energy to deciepher all the information.

By Bfjava (Bfjava) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 07:45 pm: Edit

okay, on that same hypotenuse question. I'm fairly sure the diagram of the triangle labeled theta, which was an acute angle, making hyp. 25.

By Vtoodler (Vtoodler) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 07:57 pm: Edit

I know that I aced the English test (33-35)

Math was ok (26-28)

Reading was cool but I didn't finish. Moreover, I didn't feel like I deeply grasped the meanings of the reading passages. (28-30)

Science wasn't good. Of course, I didn't finish. Plus, during the science test, the proctor was looming over me; she was making me so nervous. I had to tell her to go away in a nice way (20-22)

I think that my score should be in the high 20s or low 30s if I'm really lucky. Th

By Shannon05 (Shannon05) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 08:09 pm: Edit

yea i agree english was easy IMO, reading we need more time, math was hard for me, science wasnt bad, last time i had this attitude and i got a 24 though..so ill stay cool right now lol.

By Nitabonita1225 (Nitabonita1225) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 08:39 pm: Edit

yeah i agree w some of yall, science SUCKED. i had such bad ADD on that part of the test; i just filled in c for like the last eight questions. i thought english was fair and math was really suprisingly easy,except i didnt finish, and i also ran out of time on reading. were there any c's towards the end of science and math? cuz i didnt finish either of those 2 and i just filled in c...

By Nitabonita1225 (Nitabonita1225) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 08:47 pm: Edit

ok this problem...yea, the hypotenuse was 25. look...it said 25cos(theta) and 25sin(theta) were the...angle? Actually, before I continue, do you mind telling me exactly what the question gave you? I don't quite remember, I just remember placing the 25 as the hypotenuse which is the answer.

yeah yall are all debating over it..but i dont remember it so i must have not answered it. in that case, was the answer C?....

By Whightknight (Whightknight) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 09:56 pm: Edit

The longest leg would be the theta degree measure that would MAXIMIZE either 25 sin theta or 25 cos theta. The max value for both sin theta and cos theta = 1 for each. So the max for any leg would be 25 because you multiply that by the 25 infront of the function.

Also the graph had to be a step graph with wholes because the derivative of a corner does not exist, thus the wholes. So the answer to that question was either F or G.

By Jlaws30 (Jlaws30) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 11:06 pm: Edit

When do we find out how we did? Is it just when they mail it, or can we find out sooner?

By Eeeeyor (Eeeeyor) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 11:20 pm: Edit

whightknight,

since you dont have any original side values, your triangle with the same three angles and side of 25 could be doubled, tripled or wutever and you would have a similar triangle that still fits the requirements. without an original value your triangle has infinite amount of values

By Shannon05 (Shannon05) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 11:25 pm: Edit

Jlaws30 the results will be mailed in 4-7 weeks, then around then you can get on the ACT site and pay 8$ online to check your score if you want.

By Korey (Korey) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 11:25 pm: Edit

You can get the scores online in about 10 days for a fee of $8, but the score reports will be mailed to your house in anywhere from 2 to 7 weeks (usually 2 to 3 weeks, though)

By Andrew1218 (Andrew1218) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 11:43 pm: Edit

how in the world did anyone finish the reading section?

By Whightknight (Whightknight) on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 12:36 am: Edit

I have never finished the reading section in my 4 times taking the PLAN/ACT tests.
Next the test gets to me in exactly two weeks, probably because I live in the same state as the one the tests get checked in.
Also eee...yor: 25cos theta and 25 sin theta are the measure of the LENGTH of the legs, not angles. So cos and sin can be a maximum of 1, and thus the legs can be a maximum of 25.
The problem has nothing to do with angle measurements, or at least I don't believe so..

By Needhelp06 (Needhelp06) on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 12:38 am: Edit

english - pretty easy

math - not bad

reading - i wonder if anyone finished?

science - pretty easy

is anyone else expecting a lenient curve on reading?

By Shannon05 (Shannon05) on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 12:52 am: Edit

oh yea..everyone i talked to didnt finish..they seriosuly need to increase time.(reading)

By Whightknight (Whightknight) on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 01:04 am: Edit

Has anyone got a clear answer for the conflicting views passage of the science section for the question that says what is the reason that the rock turns fragile and brittle that both scientists agree upon, and the answer choices were: stress, cooling, etc....
At first I put stress, but I then put cooling, because stress came because of the dramatic cooling. Anyone else have an idea ??

By Needhelp06 (Needhelp06) on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 01:20 am: Edit

i put stress

By Andrew1218 (Andrew1218) on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 01:44 am: Edit

i also put stress for that one..it said nothing about cooling in the 2nd one- and the first one was about dehydration i think. So my educated guess was stress

By Eeeeyor (Eeeeyor) on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 08:02 am: Edit

ok whightknight, i admit that i wasnt looking at the question right, but but how do you take the sin of 90 in a triangle, and cos is 1 at 0 and 180, which cant be angles in the triangle????

and both passages in that science section were talking about cooling

By Eeeeyor (Eeeeyor) on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 08:15 am: Edit

oh never mind whightknight i get it now, i guess i was wrong , this sux

By Eeeeyor (Eeeeyor) on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 08:46 am: Edit

i guess i just wasnt understanding the question.
i assumed the angle theta was an angle on the triangle (i think your saying it didnt have to be?)

so i had

25cos(theta)= n , so cos(theta)= n/25 , which is the same as 2n/50, or 3n/75. . .

btw i was able to finish the reading section but i think we reasonably need at least 5 more minutes; if you were able to read the last passage about the bees it was really the easiest one

By Eeeeyor (Eeeeyor) on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 10:20 am: Edit

i think that math question is stupid though
cuz say theta=60
then cos(theta)=1/2, mutltiply by 25 to each side, and 25cos(theta)=25/2, if you stop there then you get 25, but what is wrong with moving the 25 over and getting cos(theta)=25/50??? then the hypotenuse is 50

By Esotericstorm (Esotericstorm) on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 10:43 am: Edit

I put stress for that section.

I did finish the reading section, but I wish I had had more time to check answers that I wasn't sure about.

The last time I took the test I didn't finish the reading section and ended up guessing on about 5 questions towards the end. I still got a 32 somehow, so I don't think the reading curve is too bad.

By Antique (Antique) on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 11:25 am: Edit

I finished the reading section, and I think the time for that was OK, I think we definitely need more time for science.

So, have we agreed that the answer to that question is 25?! That's what I put...

Has anyone else noticed taht this year's curves have been quite generous? That's why I'm hoping that the curve for this one'll be good as well.

By Doc1 (Doc1) on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 11:26 am: Edit

what was the answer about the man and how he is.
was the answer: "he is and idealist"... something like that??

By Micky (Micky) on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 12:17 pm: Edit

yeh. I put that he was an idealist. What was the answer to the math question about the nonmembers and members. Something to this variation: It cost $50 for nonmembers to enter the festival and $40 dollars for members to join. If 100 people went to the festival and n were nonmembers, how much profit did the festival gain?
answer had n in it ex. 50(40+n)

By Bfjava (Bfjava) on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 12:18 pm: Edit

yeah, damn damn, when is the next ACT? I wish I would have just went faster and finished everything on time. If I had finished each section on time, there'd be no reason to retake it.

For that nonmember math question:
I think it was 50(12) + 40n or something to that effect. It just wanted total revenue and it said $50 nonmember and $40 per member. It gave you the # of either members or nomembers, so whichever one you didn't know you just placed 'n' after either 40 or 50. heh, I don't remember the specifics but I'm pretty sure that's how to solve it.

As far as Reading goes:

yeah, it was the stress, not the cooling one, for the first earthquake question or whatever. The question said based on the information given, which is not presented in the two different theories but rather in the general information preceding the theories. In that general info, it specifically stated stress on/against the rocks was responsible for earthquakes. The nice thing about ACT reading is the answer is almost word for word somwhere in the passage, unlike the SAT's, err.

The other one on reading....yeah, I put idealist. hahaha, I wasn't watching my time and had 2 passages left with only 5 min remaining! hehe, I somehow managed to do the 3rd passage and randomly fill in answers for the bee passage, though.

Does anyone remember what ovals the answers were for the bee passage? I wonder how many ppl actually get ?s write for guessing at the end, heh

By Punjabihood (Punjabihood) on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 12:25 pm: Edit

then what was wrong with my reasoning about the nonmember question.

50(n)+40(100-n)
50n+4000-40n
10n+4000

By Antique (Antique) on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 12:27 pm: Edit

For the math question, it was that n nonmembers were going and 10 members were going. Right???
So that would be: 50n + 40(100)

Did anyone else get that???!!

By Antique (Antique) on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 12:28 pm: Edit

Typo---I mean:
50n + 40(10)

Anyone agree?

By Punjabihood (Punjabihood) on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 12:34 pm: Edit

Does anyone know all the multiple choice answers for the nonmember question?

By Bfjava (Bfjava) on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 12:35 pm: Edit

Yep, that is what I meant. I just couldn't remember the correct #s.

By Bfjava (Bfjava) on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 12:36 pm: Edit

Don't remember all the MC answers but the one Antigue wrote is the correct one. I don't know how else to explain it because it really is a rather common math question?

By Punjabihood (Punjabihood) on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 12:40 pm: Edit

I think i put that answer. Yeh it is common.

By Doc1 (Doc1) on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 12:43 pm: Edit

Antigue, that was the correct math answer!
Does anyone remember the last passage for reading and what was the last few answers for it??

By Antique (Antique) on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 12:44 pm: Edit

Whew! So, I can't stop worrying about that one!

Anyone have a rouhg idea of how many they got wrong in math?

I'm hoping not more than 3, but of course there oculd be more...

By Antique (Antique) on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 12:46 pm: Edit

Oh, yeah, it's Antique, with a Q--not Antigue.

By Eeeeyor (Eeeeyor) on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 01:07 pm: Edit

so how do you know that when it says "based on the information given" on the science section it means the beginning part and not all that is there?? wasnt it the quick cooling that was causing some of the stress on the rocks in the first place??

By Jenandahalf (Jenandahalf) on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 02:07 pm: Edit

Reading- there was not enough time
English- I guessed for 3 of them
Math- loved it.
Science- the physics questions were iffy.

By Jlaws30 (Jlaws30) on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 02:16 pm: Edit

Lets say you got 9 wrong on the science. What score would that be? I randomly filled in the last 4-5 and i'm sure i got others wrong.

By Doc1 (Doc1) on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 02:29 pm: Edit

Was the last question in the 1st reading passage:
"Mathew and the narrator get interseted but not anyone else"... it was something like that?

By Whightknight (Whightknight) on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 03:07 pm: Edit

I put all others and mathew and the narrator got irritated, I think it was choice A ?
I think the passage said something to the affect that everyone thought the mother was strange for her like in whatever the subject was.

Also both scientists' passages talked about cooling, neither one directly said anything about stress. It was just implied, so I went with cooling.

The reading curve better be generous I guessed on like 8 questions.

By Doc1 (Doc1) on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 03:17 pm: Edit

I put that answer because I thought the last sentence said something like th ekids saying, "The cow guts or something like that"???

By Bandcampgeek (Bandcampgeek) on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 03:18 pm: Edit

It was the opinion on the gristle of the meat, and the passage said something like "Gristle is the best part of the meat!" she would say as Matthew and I groaned. Since they groaned you know they didn't like it. Also I think it said something else about how everyone else didn't like it either.

For the passage about the man with the nature buildings, was basically EVERY answer something having to do with him being an idealist, him wanting to conserve nature, or him going against traditional definitions of beauty?

By Whightknight (Whightknight) on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 03:29 pm: Edit

Yeah basically; I found that reading passage to be very easy - the one about the man and his utopian buildings. I did a lot of common sense marking answers for that passage, hopefully that will carry me through.

By Doc1 (Doc1) on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 04:13 pm: Edit

does anyone remember any of the last passage about the bee answers????

By Bfjava (Bfjava) on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 04:22 pm: Edit

Yeah, the physics passage on the science is was caused me to run out of time on the last part concerning oxygen/cell biology I believe. It wasn't too bad but yea it was the hardest passage for me.

The cause of earthquakes was stress, not cooling. At first I had cooling but then chagned it because the question asked what caused an earthquake, NOT a DEEP-ground or whatever earthquake. The general info said earthquakes are common but not the ones deep underground. Yes, you are right that the deep underground earthquakes 470-600 km or whatever are caused by cooling based on the 2 theories, but the question for your standard earthquake, which the general info said was caused by stress. I'm fairly sure, but I could be wrong? I dunno...

By Whightknight (Whightknight) on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 04:37 pm: Edit

What exactly is this oxygen/cell biology section of the science? I don't remember it at all......

By Madd87 (Madd87) on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 06:27 pm: Edit

Bfjava doubt it.. ACT doesnt try to trick you like that.

By Bfjava (Bfjava) on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 08:26 pm: Edit

well it really isn't a trick. the question said earthquake, not deep underground earthquake, and in the general information it said earthquakes are caused by stresses between rocks. Furthermore, the question said based on the information given, which comes before the theories. Information isn't really given in the theories per se, but rather the theories discuss the given information above. I agree that it wasn't meant to trick you, thus the simplest answer was stress, not cooling. Note: cooling was responsible for stress, which causes the earthquake. Additionally, cooling is only relevant for deep underground earthquakes, not your general earthquake, which the question asks for. Finally, if you were to look in the general information again, you would see that it states earthquakes are caused by stress between the rocks. It doesn't get anymore clear than that...I dunno, that's my opinion anyway.

By Whightknight (Whightknight) on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 08:33 pm: Edit

Actually.... If I remember clearly the question asked what was the cause of earthquakes that BOTH scientists mentioned in their views. And thus not based upon the general information given, so the answer would be because of cooling since both scientists mentioned that as a cause in their passages.

By Bfjava (Bfjava) on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 09:53 pm: Edit

yeah, except it didn't ask about both scientists. in fact, it didn't even have the word 'scientist' in that question. ;)

hehe, sorry, sounds like I'm trying to get into fight. I'm just fairly certain on this one because that was one of the only questions I actually put a lot of thought into before marking an answer.

By Eeeeyor (Eeeeyor) on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 10:15 pm: Edit

i think you over thunk it (yes i know thunk is not a word)

By Korey (Korey) on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 10:47 pm: Edit

how do I think I did? horribly...

projected scores:
english: 30
math: 23 (maybe a few points more if I'm lucky)
reading: haha...yeah... (maybe a 20 if I'm lucky)
science: " " " "

By So0perb0y (So0perb0y) on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 11:34 pm: Edit

one of the early math questions where you were told to like bake cookies with a certain amount of flour.

i think the purpose was to divide mixed #'s with fractions..

answer a was 3
answer b was 4.... anyone know what correct answer was?

it was like... how many cookies can you bake with a certain amount of flour...

By So0perb0y (So0perb0y) on Monday, June 14, 2004 - 12:13 am: Edit

another question... on the reading passage with the birds. ummm there's a sentence like "the birds from mexico and canada flew to texas..." ---i dont remember the names of the regions

and you can change it to:

mexico, and canada
or
mexico and canada,
or mexico and canada

i left it as mexico and canada without any comma

anyone know what question i'm talking about

By Madd87 (Madd87) on Monday, June 14, 2004 - 01:21 am: Edit

I remember the question asking about both scientists hypotheses as well..

By Bento (Bento) on Monday, June 14, 2004 - 03:17 am: Edit

I agree with bfjava on the "what causes earthquakes" question. The cooling answer choice said something to the effect of "the cooling of the water trapped in the minerals", but both scientists' hypotheses stated that the earthquakes were a result of the water in the rocks being much cooler than the surrounding temperature, thus HEATING more quickly and causing fractures.

Does anybody remember the answer of the shells for the 24 electron element that had 2 more 3d and 1 less 4s than the other one? I put 3d5, 4s1 for that one.

Or about the population of n0 = 4, nb = 1.00, nd = 0.75, at n10? Since there was a n0 = 8 in the table with the other two variables identical, and n10 for that one = 97, i just halved this and put 48 for n0 = 4.

By Doc1 (Doc1) on Monday, June 14, 2004 - 07:21 am: Edit

so0perb0y, the one about the cookies in the math section was 3 I remember that 4 was going over.

I didn't even have a reading passage about birds!

By Theli0nheart (Theli0nheart) on Monday, June 14, 2004 - 09:31 am: Edit

The one with 25cosx and 25sinx was just a matter of using the pythagorean theorem:

a^2+b^2=c^2...
solve for c
a=25cosx
b=25sinx

525cos^2(x)+525sin^2(x)=c^2
25sqrt(cos^2(x)+sin^2(x))=c
cos^2(x)+sin^2(x)=1
c=25

And that's your answer...25.

By Bfjava (Bfjava) on Monday, June 14, 2004 - 11:17 am: Edit

yeah, true, or you can use trig, or at least I wrongfully did and still got 25, haha.

the chem one, er, i was running out of a time so I didn't have to think, so I just put c or d I think. The nice thing about the chem passage was if you've taken any chem, then you didn't even need read the passage because it was all based on e- config. umm i'm not sure what the ? asked since I rushed thru it but the e- config for 24 e- would be:

1s^2 2s^2 2p^6 3s^2 3p^6 3d^4 4s^2 OR the last could be 3d^6 with no 4 s orbital OR even 3d^5 4s^1. ehh, I'd go with either the first one, though. I don't really think the 2 e- in 4s would be attracted to the 3d level since it only has 4 e-, still needing 4 more e- for a complete energy level if the 4s^2 did jump down to the 3rd energy level. I dunno, what did the question ask?

What about the last passage with the oxygen/biology? heh, I timed my watch wrong and only had 5 min left when I was expecting 10 :( So I was forced to randomly fill in the biology questions, heh damnit! Anyone remember what ovals they filled in? ha

By Whightknight (Whightknight) on Monday, June 14, 2004 - 12:25 pm: Edit

Bento: "Or about the population of n0 = 4, nb = 1.00, nd = 0.75, at n10? Since there was a n0 = 8 in the table with the other two variables identical, and n10 for that one = 97, i just halved this and put 48 for n0 = 4."
- 48 is correct, I did the same thing.

"Does anybody remember the answer of the shells for the 24 electron element that had 2 more 3d and 1 less 4s than the other one? I put 3d5, 4s1 for that one."
- That is also correct, I put the same answer.

However, I still believe cooling was the correct answer to that science question. Both scientists talked about how cooling causes the fractures. Yes through stress, but I don't think stress was directly mentioned by both scientists.

By Illuminati (Illuminati) on Monday, June 14, 2004 - 02:22 pm: Edit

Hey guys....I'm rather new to this website. I recently took the ACT (yesterday, in fact), and I have a couple of questions that I was unsure about while taking it. The first one pertains to the Math section. The question had something to do with a sequence beginning with the number 6, with the first the numbers being an arithmetic sequence (i believe...) and the second one being geometric. I learned these concepts a few years ago, so I wasn't quite sure if I was correct with my answer (I chose "1"). Is that correct? My second and final question deals with the Reading section. I can't remember the question exactly, but I do remember it was on the first Passage (about a person describing her mother's kitchen, etc.). I believe it was the last question, and it asked who would share a certain opinion (or something like that). The choices were something similar to these: 1. Author, Matthew, no one else 2. Author, Matthew, and everyone else. ETC. Thanks for your time, and I hope to hear from you guys soon!

By So0perb0y (So0perb0y) on Monday, June 14, 2004 - 03:44 pm: Edit

Illuminati:

-1 is correct
-who would share the opinion answer is only the mother

By Illuminati (Illuminati) on Monday, June 14, 2004 - 05:38 pm: Edit

Alright, cool...thanks!

By Bfjava (Bfjava) on Monday, June 14, 2004 - 05:51 pm: Edit

don't forget ppl on here aren't 100% sure what the answers are. so don't think you missed something because someone told you you were wrong ;)

By Bandcampgeek (Bandcampgeek) on Monday, June 14, 2004 - 07:33 pm: Edit

Actually, for the sequence one, I think the answer was 61. I don't remember what the specific question was, though.

Also, for the earthquake one, I'm POSITIVE that the answer was stress. I remember that the cooling one didn't make sense...something technical in the answer.

By Whightknight (Whightknight) on Monday, June 14, 2004 - 08:46 pm: Edit

Actually.... the answer to the sequence question is 1. 6 7 8 16 32 64 was the sequence I do think. And the common difference of the first 3 terms is 1.
Also I still think cooling was the correct answer to that science question, although I may very well be wrong on it since I was extremely cut short on the time when I went back to that passage.

By Korey (Korey) on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 03:09 am: Edit

It was something like "In a series of six numbers, the first is 6 and the last is 32. The first three numbers are in arithmetic sequence, and the last three are in geometric sequence of 2. What is the common difference of the first three terms?" That would give you 6 7 8 16 32. The different between 8&7 and 7&6 is 1...

By Bfjava (Bfjava) on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 10:16 am: Edit

the sequence one is 1, no doubt.

yea, i still say the earthquake one is stress, heh.

come on, anyone remember what ovals they filled for the last reading passage and/or last passage about the oxygen?

By Eeeeyor (Eeeeyor) on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 11:38 am: Edit

i think the second to last one was A but thats all i remember, sry

By Ace1120 (Ace1120) on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 12:27 pm: Edit

haha reading these posts would have been exactly what i needed the minute after leaving the test center...too bad it's been like a couple days, lol. i was wondering though, does anyone know how many you can afford to miss to get a 35? like if i'm really lucky, I wouldn't have missed any in reading, math, and writing, but I, like most of you, didn't have enough time to finish the last 5 questions in science so I just randomly filled in stuff. Assuming that I miss all 5, does that nix my chances at a 35?

By Forsakn4 (Forsakn4) on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 02:03 pm: Edit

wasnt one of the math questions cannot be determined (not the 25sin0 and 25cos0)?

By Etsrep78328 (Etsrep78328) on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 02:09 pm: Edit

There are two different real values of C for which the equation Cx^2 + (3C+6)x + 5C - 40 = 0 has equal roots. Find one possible value of C.

By Vanessa1378 (Vanessa1378) on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 02:40 pm: Edit

For one of the english q's did you put "concentration" of birds?

By So0perb0y (So0perb0y) on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 04:25 pm: Edit

yeah i think concentration is correct

By Bandcampgeek (Bandcampgeek) on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 04:33 pm: Edit

that's weird, for the sequence one, i didn't remember the last number being 64. i remembered it being like...512. which is why i put 61. strange. maybe i was just reeeeally tired...

By Doc1 (Doc1) on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 04:58 pm: Edit

does anyone remember the math question about the temperture being 25 and then going down or something like that, what was the answer???

By Doc1 (Doc1) on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 04:58 pm: Edit

does anyone remember the math question about the temperture being 25 and then going down or something like that, what was the answer???

By Bfjava (Bfjava) on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 05:07 pm: Edit

yeah, it was like -71 or something like that. I remember it being a negative answer and that negative # having the most digits out of all the answers, hehe

By Whightknight (Whightknight) on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 05:51 pm: Edit

yeah, it was -41 if I recall correctly.

By Antique (Antique) on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 05:56 pm: Edit

Yeah, that's what I got whightknight...

By Korey (Korey) on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 06:15 pm: Edit

One of the math questions that was Cannot be determined was the one about the test average...It gave you a few test grades, then it said something like "How many more tests does so-and-so have to take to have an average of 91?" So-and-so could've taken infinitely more tests and have them average out to be a 91, it just depends on the test grades, so it was Cannot be determined...Right? hehe

By Eeeeyor (Eeeeyor) on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 06:25 pm: Edit

no, because the rest of the tests he got like an 88 or something like that on, so you could figure it out; if he took too many it would be below a 91

By Antique (Antique) on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 06:46 pm: Edit

Was the answer for that 3 or 4?

Which math questions had "Cannot be determined" for sure? I don't seem to remember any...

By Bfjava (Bfjava) on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 06:48 pm: Edit

i didn't get any 'cannot be determined.' I know I got an answer on that average one and I know that triangle one was 25 and not 'cannot be determined.'

By Forsakn4 (Forsakn4) on Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 12:09 am: Edit

was there another one tho that was cannot be determined i cant remember

By Bandcampgeek (Bandcampgeek) on Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 12:10 am: Edit

on the english section, were both "who/whom" questions "who"?

By Whightknight (Whightknight) on Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 12:24 am: Edit

I don't remember ever having a whom as a correct answer, so I would say yes.
I didn't get any 'cannot be determined' answers either.

By So0perb0y (So0perb0y) on Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 04:50 am: Edit

agree with whightknight.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page