Retake or not?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: June 2004 Archive: Retake or not?
By Elizabeth22 (Elizabeth22) on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 02:03 pm: Edit

I got a 1450 (700m/750v) on my May SAT I (my first shot), which I was fairly happy with at the time. After reading this site, I'm not so sure this is a very good score- a lot of these kids have been rejected from good schools with much higher ones. I'm looking at Williams, Brandeis, Wesleyan, and Harvard to name a few. Do you think I should retake? The average change in score is -18 points, so is it worth it?

By Jonw222 (Jonw222) on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 02:07 pm: Edit

Since most schools take the top two scores, I would encourage you to retake it especially if you think you could do better on any section.

I've known too many people who had tremendous point increases, including myself, taking the SAT twice to discourage it.

JW

By Elizabeth22 (Elizabeth22) on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 02:12 pm: Edit

Thanks Jon...if you don't mind my asking, how much did you improve?

By Isabella (Isabella) on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 03:29 pm: Edit

Two thoughts:

1) "a lot of these kids have been rejected from good schools with much higher ones" - that just tells you right there that a higher score might not make a difference for you

2) maybe the overall average score change is -18, but most people do go up with a retake.

Since that was your first take, it couldn't hurt to take it again, as long as you practice. Get 10 Real SATs and practice, and your score could go up quite a bit.

By Elizabeth22 (Elizabeth22) on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 12:45 pm: Edit

Has anyone else retaken with a 1450 (or similar score)? Did you go up or down?

By Qwert271 (Qwert271) on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 01:30 pm: Edit

From my experience, I got 1420 October PSAT, then 1550 March SAT. 6 months, 130 points, no intense studying etc. i would retake if you think you can improve. chances are youre right.

By Masihshinwa (Masihshinwa) on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 01:40 pm: Edit

1450 is a really good score. But keep in mind that colleges look at the entire picture. I know students who got rejected from Harvard with a score of 1550. But there are students who were accepted to Harvard with a SAT score of 1350.
Most colleges want to know what would you contribut to their college. Other thing is that Colleges just don't want to accept everyone with a SAT score of 1500+, they want to have a diverse class.

By Curtisny (Curtisny) on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 06:07 pm: Edit

i got the exact same score in may, 700m/750v, and i don't plan to retake. Both fall into the middle 50 percent for all the schools in the country. (Minus the tech schools; our 700 math score is a little low for MIT and Caltech) However, based on your lists of schools, you'll be fine.

Just make your EC's look extra nice!

By Elizabeth22 (Elizabeth22) on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 06:28 pm: Edit

That's a good point, Curtis. You're the second CC person I've found with the exact same split from May.

By Thermodude (Thermodude) on Monday, June 14, 2004 - 07:15 pm: Edit

Elizabeth...I would recommend you to retake the tests...since this is your first time...and many people applying to Harvard...etc...have taken the tests more than once. I still would caution you, if you do intend to apply to Harvard, to make sure you still have dates to take your SAT II's. SAT II's are also used for admissions as well in many colleges....and a good score on these can add to your application.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page