ACT Questions

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: June 2004 Archive: ACT Questions
By Katiya (Katiya) on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 12:29 pm: Edit

I'm sorry that these questions are so dumb...

1. How many can you get wrong on each section and get something equal to a 1500 on the SAT?

2. Are the questions at http://aapsample.act.org/aap/sampletest/index.shtml compararble to the real ACT?

3. Is there a "guessing penalty"?

4. Bring a snack?

By Sns22022 (Sns22022) on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 01:26 pm: Edit

#1 I do not know the exact answer to, but look up to SAT-ACT conversion chart to give you an idea of what ACT score equals a 1500 SAT, and that should give you a good idea. #2...those look pretty good to me. The answer to #3 is no, there is not. You should answer EVERY SINGLE QUESTION, because they do not take off points. #4...you can bring a snack but you have to eat it during the break. You can't eat during the test.

By Katiya (Katiya) on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 02:11 pm: Edit

Thank you :)

Also, how does the scoring work?
On the practice I got 1 math, 1 writing, 2 reading and 2 science questions wrong. How could I find my score/what would it be?

By Valk78 (Valk78) on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 06:09 pm: Edit

yea im wondering the same thing... Ive taken practice tests but i dont know how to score it since it doesnt say how in the book (pretty dumb huh barrons) anyway can someone give an overview ?

By Needhelp06 (Needhelp06) on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 06:41 pm: Edit

there is no penalty for guessing, the number correct in each section (raw score) corresponds to a scaled score, and that is the score for each section.

By Ilovefood (Ilovefood) on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 08:13 pm: Edit

Ok, Katiya, assuming that that was an actual ACT test, you could expect 34-35 Math, 35 English, 34-36 Reading, and 32-34 Science (more likely 33-34 Science). So that would be 34-35 Composite, which is just within the upper half of the 99th percentile. The raw score - scaled score conversions change with each test, but it's always the least forgiving on Science and the mosr forgiving on Reading. English and Math are right there in the middle.

By Mutineer_33 (Mutineer_33) on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 08:19 pm: Edit

Okay, from what I've seen, to get a 36 (for each subscore), you can miss 0 english questions, 0 math questions, 0-3 reading questions, and 0 science questions. A 35 is missing 1 english question, 4 reading, 1 science, or 1 math. A 34 would be missing 2 english (although sometimes this would be a 33), 5 reading, 2 math, and 2 science. Hope that helps.

By Ilovefood (Ilovefood) on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 08:25 pm: Edit

like i said, it changes with each testing date, so sometimes one wrong in reading is a 35 and sometimes two wrong in reading is a 36

By Dalaboy (Dalaboy) on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 11:07 pm: Edit

how many breaks do we get and how long is each break?

By Ilovefood (Ilovefood) on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 11:18 pm: Edit

one break, ten mins between math and reading have fun

By Bfjava (Bfjava) on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 11:22 pm: Edit

haha, every test has each section in the same order? The SAT has two different forms and the proctors hand them out so the person next to you has the other format in order to minimize cheating.

eh, I suppose you'd be caught cheating either way, but still, I have never seen a standardized test in which all tests had the same section order. Even the easy state assessments have different test booklets!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page