Suggested Test Prep for SAT II...?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: June 2004 Archive: Suggested Test Prep for SAT II...?
By Spatel05 (Spatel05) on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 11:48 am: Edit

I've been looking through online reviews at book vendor websites (bn, borders) and see that the Barron's series for test prep seems to get the best ratings. I'm preparing for the Math IIC & Chemistry (and probably Physics, Bio, & USHist... maybe writing just for practice because I have no problem in that area) and was wondering if Barron's is the best to prep for any of those tests or if there are any other suggestions for prep material. Any suggestions, comments, or tips are greatly appreciated!

By Isabella (Isabella) on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 03:32 pm: Edit

Most of the comments I've seen on here are that Barron's is too hard and not representative of the real tests. I personally did not use Barron's, so I am only repeating what I have read. They seem to be better for regular SAT I prep.

I would go with Princeton Review for physics (best one by far), bio and U.S. history. They're probably good on the others too but I dunno. Their SAT II Writing/Lit book was great.

By Spatel05 (Spatel05) on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 05:55 pm: Edit

Thanks Isabella, I appreciate your input. Any other suggestions out there??

By Mercury31 (Mercury31) on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 06:03 pm: Edit

i too have heard that barrons is much harder than the real tests but i used it for bio sat IIs and i thought the difficulty level was about the same.

By Spatel05 (Spatel05) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 12:01 am: Edit

Thanks Mercury31! Anyone have any suggestiong for Math IIC and Chemistry?

By Spatel05 (Spatel05) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 10:36 am: Edit

bump

By Norseviking (Norseviking) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 03:19 pm: Edit

For Math IIC I like Sparknotes. It hit all the important topics and had a summary at the end of the chapter of formulas you should have memorized.

Barron's math IIC is very dry and harder than the actual SAT II. It focuses more on explaining every minute detail instead of what's really important. However, if you score well on its seven practice tests you'll undoubtedly do well on the real thing.

By Crypto86 (Crypto86) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 03:22 pm: Edit

I loved Barrons for chemistry. I ended up with a 700, which was my average score on practice tests. I think the Barrons is an accurate prep for the real test. I could have done better, but I only did practice tests instead of studying extra stuff as well.

By Spatel05 (Spatel05) on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 09:15 am: Edit

bump

By Joshjmgs (Joshjmgs) on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 11:48 am: Edit

I liked Barrons for AP Chemistry, Chemistry SAT II (I thought their tests were very realistic), Math IIc!!!!!!!! (I loved this book, never read it, I just did the tests, there were some really GOOD questions, and make sure you understand their explanations, if not ask a teacher ;))
Math IIc book was definitely harder than the real, but its the best preparation youre going to get.

The problem with Sparknotes (for IIc and Physics) is that the tests are in not realistic. Some of the sparknotes questions were taken from published SAT II Math IIc tests, and some are complete bs and then you have the damn typos!
Their explanations are just wrong!
I will never suggest any Sparknotes books to anyone. And their physics socked bum - they did not go far enough indepth in their conceptual stuff and their tests were so far off...
I tried to use Schaum College Physics, and if you have the time, thats the best book your going to get, but you have to know what to read and what not to read. I tried to teach myself magnetism from this book and i was fine. Circuits on the other hand... lol

By Newt (Newt) on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 12:25 pm: Edit

I really liked the Princeton Review for SAT II Chemistry. I looked at the barrons one, but it seemed too small print and condensed... it was a pain to sit down and read from. On the other hand, the princeton review talks in a more friendly way, and I found it easier to learn from it. I also here the PR tests are more accurate than barrons in their realism.

By Jangel86 (Jangel86) on Monday, June 14, 2004 - 11:29 am: Edit

For Bio, Kaplan worked really well. The tests were a lot harder than the actual, but it brought my score up from a 500ish (on the diagnostic) to a 730 on the real test.

By Spatel05 (Spatel05) on Monday, June 14, 2004 - 12:01 pm: Edit

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions everyone!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page