Is SAT2 Writing Score of 8 Bad?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: June 2004 Archive: Is SAT2 Writing Score of 8 Bad?
By Whtx (Whtx) on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 01:02 am: Edit

My essay only scored an 8, my overall score was 710. Is the 8 considered bad for some of the very competitive colleges?

By Alliswim (Alliswim) on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 01:19 am: Edit

I didn't know the colleges even saw your essay score, I thought they just saw the total. I could be wrong though. I got an 8 on the essay too, but I got a 660 overall so I think I'm going to retake in the fall

By Z00b (Z00b) on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 01:24 am: Edit

Don't worry... I'm pretty sure they just see the two subscores on the 20-80 scale (I'm not sure)... I don't think they see the actual grades you got on it by the two scorers. I was kind of upset I only got 8 on the essay, but somehow 760 overall.

Show them you can write through your application essays... Also many places ask you to submit an analytical paper from english, history etc. I think these would be worth more than a 20 minute essay.

By Monoe (Monoe) on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 03:30 pm: Edit

Z00b and Whtx - how many MC questions did you each get wrong?

By Crazylicious (Crazylicious) on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 07:24 pm: Edit

got 10 on essay

660 overall - damn mult choice and careless mistakes.

i think they only see the overall score.

By Conker (Conker) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 12:26 am: Edit

I believe that colleges do see the essay score, which is awful because the writing score is really only accurate within +/- 1 of the given score. A person who scores a 10 is not necessarily worse than someone who scores a 12.

By Monoe (Monoe) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 05:07 pm: Edit

Yeah, I mean they don't even grade it on what you say - it's primarily how you say it.

By Jlaws30 (Jlaws30) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 11:08 pm: Edit

thats funny, I got an 8 on the essay and a 590 overall. I wonder if they just give everybody 8's?

By Masihshinwa (Masihshinwa) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 11:25 pm: Edit

I got an 8 on the essay and 630 overall.(I think I got lucky there because I really suck in English!)
Stop worrying about your SAT II writing essays. The real essays the colleges care are your admission's essay. Write a good admission essay and you are set!

By Monoe (Monoe) on Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 11:50 am: Edit

...scores are coming...

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page