BEST WAY to learn vocabulary?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: June 2004 Archive: BEST WAY to learn vocabulary?
By Altf4 (Altf4) on Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 01:38 pm: Edit

reading and then applying new vocabulary into my writing, will that help? any other alternatives?

By Succor101 (Succor101) on Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 01:47 pm: Edit

direct vocab memorization works best for me--get arco's Words for Smart Test TAkers book

By Akid4 (Akid4) on Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 01:56 pm: Edit

Memorization helped me too. The Kaplan book has a huge vocabulary section in the back. I read through it once and marked all of the words I didn't know. Then, I put them on notecards and studied until I knew them. It actually took a while to do, but I guarantee it takes less time than reading.

By Vanessa1378 (Vanessa1378) on Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 02:30 pm: Edit

I agree- memorization is best.

By Altf4 (Altf4) on Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 02:52 pm: Edit

which kaplan book had this?

By Varr (Varr) on Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 03:06 pm: Edit

AT DOWNLOADS.COM you can get the Vocab Wizard

By Akid4 (Akid4) on Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 07:14 pm: Edit

SAT and PSAT 2004 edition

By Acethesats (Acethesats) on Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 08:55 pm: Edit

actually any version of the Kaplan SAT and PSAT will be fine. You can get a 2003 or earlier editions with the same words on some websites for a fraction of the cost.

My 2 cents

By Encomium (Encomium) on Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 09:24 pm: Edit

i used word smart book on type thing

By Amitoman (Amitoman) on Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 09:28 pm: Edit

first memorize words.. then go to cnn.com or any other big news site, and put the hardest words in the search. read the article, and notice the context around it.. see how the word is used in a real sentence. this will help. if cnn doesn't have it, google it.

By Koopatroopa (Koopatroopa) on Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 09:53 pm: Edit

Learn Latin.

By Varr (Varr) on Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 10:20 pm: Edit

hmm root word help :)

By Varr (Varr) on Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 10:21 pm: Edit

"words"

By Hollaratme (Hollaratme) on Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 10:22 pm: Edit

hott words for the sats

buy the book

By Vanessa1378 (Vanessa1378) on Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 12:13 am: Edit

Kaplan's "Flip-o-matic" vocab flashcard/book is good too.

By Sssran87 (Sssran87) on Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 12:40 am: Edit

After doing each test in 10 Real SAT's, I just wrote down the words I did not know and defined them. This is good since you learn the words that actually appear on the test.

By Saxfreq1128 (Saxfreq1128) on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 01:13 am: Edit

Personally, I found that reading the New York Times and writing down words I didn't know built my vocabularly tremendously. Also, reading sophisticated authors on my own time helped a great deal. If reading isn't your thing (which is a problem if you're trying to do well on the Verbal section), there are actually some TV shows that use great words if you listen closely enough. Frasier, for example; the main character is snobby but he has a good vocab--the other day I heard archaic, lugubrious, egregious, and sanguine in one episode. News shows--Dateline, 20/20--in addition to being pretty darn interesting, also have sophisticated language. These are just a few alternatives to study cards and "hot lists."

By Altf4 (Altf4) on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 03:42 pm: Edit

could u recommend any sophisticated authors? i'm not getting a job or doing anything exciting because i want to keep my mind in shape, so i might as well read

By Vtoodler (Vtoodler) on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 02:43 pm: Edit

read the ring of mcallister
good book, 1046 SAT words--what else can I say??

By Encomium (Encomium) on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 02:51 pm: Edit

use more than one method, not just one

By Calidan (Calidan) on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 03:01 pm: Edit

YES! Read the Ring of McAllister! Not only is it a really good book (IMO), but it really helped me learn/understand all of the words that were in it! Good vocab words, too. DEFINITELY read it!

By Illuminati (Illuminati) on Monday, June 14, 2004 - 06:00 pm: Edit

Hello. I'm going to begin studying for the SAT this summer, and I was wondering which Prep book contained the words that are most frequently found on the real SAT. Does anyone know from experience which one(s) helped them tremendously and contained most of the words on the test? I purchased 10 Real SAT's, but I'm also looking for something that I can focus on that deals primarily with vocabulary. Thanks guys.

By Icarus (Icarus) on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 04:03 am: Edit

Yeah I'm with koopatroopa on this one - with Latin, you will rip through vocabulary like no other... and it definitely owns trying to learn "the 2 million most common SAT words"

:-P

By Monoe (Monoe) on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 12:50 pm: Edit

Study Latin - read English.

By Conker (Conker) on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 03:42 pm: Edit

Just learn the words. You should be learning the words not only for the SAT but also for bettering your writing. Learning Latin roots may help you get through the SAT and novels, but you won't be able to improve your writing vocabulary. Plus, roots aren't that useful anyway. You will only be able to use them for some of the words, and some of the ones that do work are faux amis (e.g. you would never guess what sanguine means, although sang = blood).

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page