NEW SAT1

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: June 2004 Archive: NEW SAT1
By Jenni87 (Jenni87) on Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 09:39 am: Edit

how are you guys planning to study? just wondering..

By Altf4 (Altf4) on Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 12:52 pm: Edit

i'm waiting for new books to come out in the summer or fall which are particularly geared towards the new format of the test.

By Jenni87 (Jenni87) on Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 04:56 am: Edit

anyone else?????

By Oasis (Oasis) on Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 06:26 am: Edit

um...do all the prep books of the old SAT, skipping over the irrelevant parts, and do current SAT II Writing prep books

By Altf4 (Altf4) on Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 11:50 am: Edit

the writing test will be copied in format onto the new test? or are only parts of it going to be implemented.

By Vermicelli (Vermicelli) on Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 01:28 pm: Edit

the SAT I writing part will be 25 minutes - MC improving paragraphs, sentences, and figuring out errors like in the PSAT and SAT II Writing. THe next 25 minutes will be the essay writing

By Thunder77 (Thunder77) on Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 05:17 pm: Edit

For the New SAT,

Will it still be useful to study vocabs?

By Thunder77 (Thunder77) on Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 05:17 pm: Edit

For the New SAT,

Will it still be useful to study vocabs?

By Altf4 (Altf4) on Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 05:28 pm: Edit

yes, although vocab won't be as important as before with analogies, a strong vocabulary will help you to get a better score on the "Critical Reading" section.

By Baggins (Baggins) on Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 10:21 pm: Edit

I'm takeing a reading/writing class this summer. I will probably get the new books that are coming out in Oct. and I'll take the Princeton Review classes next summer.

By Xiggi (Xiggi) on Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 10:58 pm: Edit

For the New SAT, will it still be useful to study vocabs?

You still have sentence completions. However, the absence of analogies should NOT change much in your preparation as it was easily the least important part of the SAT-1.

By Jenni87 (Jenni87) on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 08:03 am: Edit

thnx for the contribution! do you think the writing in the new sat is going to be similar to the one in toefl? cos the toefl writing is just seeing how fluent u are at writing and it just gives tells them you know ur grammar. and yeah, i'm definitely goign to work on my vocabulary. in the long run, it's going to help u in ur life, such as, goign to college, reading high-class mags.. lol.. and all. don't just think about COLLEGE.. i think it's kinda short term. anyways... that's my question up there!

By Thunder77 (Thunder77) on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 06:00 pm: Edit

Nope. The writing in SAT is harder than TOEFL I'm assuming. It is most similar to SAT II writing, if not the exact same thing. Think about it, TOEFL only test to see you know how to speak english. SAT II Writing is optional and it tests how much you really know about english and it assumes you're fluent already(considering they test you idioms).

Hey Xiggi,

were the analogies the least important part of the the SAT? They did constitute many of the questions of the old SAT.

Jenni87,
Yes, I know what you mean. Knowing more vocabs does make me feel better and this is certainly not just for college. But what I want to know from Xiggi is that will it suffice to place less emphasis on vocabs since they don't really test you about vocabs as much as the old SAT.

Thanks!:)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page