Give me a hand for this poor man

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: June 2004 Archive: Give me a hand for this poor man
By Marchguy (Marchguy) on Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 08:57 am: Edit

My vocab is excellent.
I'm an IS(international student)
Since last year, I've been making my own vocab note that is about an inch thick.
My best part is comp/anal.
When i was taking May 1, SAT, I got 15 right and 20 wrong on CR.
I thought I had got 650.
What I have received was 480.
Should I rather not finish and make some blanks than finish all the way down to the end and have a myriad of mistakes?
Please recommend the best prep book except
10R..
Where can I get practice SAT other than 10r..?
I know this is a dumb question for everyone.
But when you are in a quandary,
you don't see anything and try to grasp any information.
I need miracle guys, please help me.

By Here2insanity (Here2insanity) on Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 10:26 am: Edit

Hey there, I'm an international student too. Definitely practice from the 10 Reals, learn the book *INSIDE OUT*, make note of every vocab in that book. Practice makes perfect.
Read ALOT too, read everything, look up every word - and soon the vocabs will grow so familiar they become yours.
If you are using a vocab notebook, I'd suggest using flashcards - jot down not only the definition but a short sentence so you know how the word looks like in context plus some mneumonics if you can think of any.
Also Try the Barron's book - it's got a very comprehensive list of vocabs, at least start with the yellow flashcards in the back: that's where I began. Another book i'm looking into right now is Kaplan's Verbal workout - nice vocab list and exercises.
Take a prep course if you can, I found it helped a great deal - especially the intensive 2 week courses. (Princeton Review's superb!)

good luck!

By Conker (Conker) on Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 10:57 am: Edit

Perhaps "anal" would not have been the best abbreviation. :)

By Adidasty (Adidasty) on Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 01:12 pm: Edit

That's right conker. lol, sometimes its just better to spell out the whole word. lol

By Dukedreamer (Dukedreamer) on Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 02:12 pm: Edit

I found PR CR section was really helpful, like you i hated the CR reading...but im not too good at the whole verbal part in general. The PR helped out A LOT! It cut the time it used to take me in...it explained how you don't read the passage and still get the answer.

By Cellest882000 (Cellest882000) on Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 02:29 pm: Edit

wow you may have "excellent vocab" but you seem to lack an understanding of more basic english concepts. Just from your writing here, I can see quite easily why CR would give you trouble. Spend more time studing the english language then memorizing quandary and myriad......

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page