Help! Learning Comp Sci

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: June 2004 Archive: Help! Learning Comp Sci
By Kingroger317 (Kingroger317) on Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 08:57 pm: Edit

Hello i am planning to take AP COMP SCI next year and SKIP normal comp sci the prerequisite course...
i know pretty much NOTHING about comp sci.. What books, programs etc do i need to do over summer. i dont have time to take a class thats like 5 hours each day
i know pretty much everything about computers other than writing programs crap..
we are running JAVA
thxs!

By Legendofmax (Legendofmax) on Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 09:01 pm: Edit

I would suggest looking online for tutorials. Even if you know the syntax it is hard to write a good program if you do not understand how to break a problem into subfunctions and tasks modular-style. You have to know what the variables are and what processes are to be done, and of course, learning good coding practices help minimize the work involved. Work smarter, not harder :P Looking online for syntax tutorials can help.

By Crypto86 (Crypto86) on Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 09:06 pm: Edit

Williams College has an online textbook that we actually use for our class. It's pretty good.

Here's the link:

http://applecore.cs.williams.edu/~cs134/eof/

By Here2insanity (Here2insanity) on Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 10:30 am: Edit

Our class used Exposure Java by Leon Schram: www.schram.org
The material starts from the basics and prepares you very well: on top of that, get a copy of Skylit's Be Prepared for the AP Comp Sci Exam: Java. It is THE ultimate prep book - the exam is quite easy so don't worry about it too much. All you need to do is lots and lots of practice to get familiar with syntax and technical terms.

By Kingkonglives (Kingkonglives) on Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 11:12 am: Edit

don't worry about it bud the AP Comp Sci test is a joke... and that's coming from someone that doesn't particularly know computer science well

By Athlonmj (Athlonmj) on Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 01:14 pm: Edit

Computer Science was a joke. You can learn the cirriculum in 1 semester. Don't worry about studying over the summer, you'll pick it up quickly.

By Crypto86 (Crypto86) on Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 11:12 am: Edit

Unfortunately I'm dropping AB comp science for next year (I am in honors Java now) because I needed that extra period to fit in the 2-period a day AP chem along with Molecular Bio honors. It sucks, but oh well. I'm not that good at Java anyway (I get A-minus' in all marking periods, but I'm always late on labs).

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page