college admissions financial aid college search scholarships ivy league college counseling ">
SAT :(

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: June 2004 Archive: SAT :(
By Dukedreamer (Dukedreamer) on Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 01:45 pm: Edit

My verbal is horrible, and I know everything on the math, its just I'm plagued with careless mistakes (I can't double check because I always finish just in time).
What is the best way to improve my score?
Should I just do practice tests, learn the vocab from SAT Prep books , or what??? ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRICIATED!!!!

By Number9 (Number9) on Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 02:08 pm: Edit

Hmmm..Although I was always a better verbal student, I still did pretty bad on the SAT. So after my first horrible defeat, I did the following:

1. Read more. I started reading the classics. There's a book list on College Board's site that I highly recommend. Many people will argue that reading won't help with SAT verbal skills, but I think you'll learn to do the following: 1. read faster 2. critically analyze better 3. learn more vocabulary. In addition to that, you have a good knowledge of important books...

2. Vocab and roots. I looked through wordlists and just memorized a few everyday. I picked ones that sounded interesting, different, and would look cool to put down on paper in the future. I learned a lot just by going through different lists.

3. Know common analogy bridges! I think this helps the most. There's about 10-12 common bridges in which you can use for analogies. This especially comes in handy when you find that you don't know one of the words (or both!). I think just about any review book has a list of common bridges...they're worth knowing.

I used Gruber's for my SAT study this time around, but that is mainly because I'm not good at math (and Gruber is known for math). However, I thought Gruber did a sufficient job on a good vocab list, greek/latin roots, analogies, etc.

Others will tell you Barron's is really good, but I haven't used it.

So if I were you, I'd probably be best off with Barron's as it seems to be the best for the non-math-needy student.

By Vanessa1378 (Vanessa1378) on Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 02:11 pm: Edit

memorize vocab like crazy- that helped me

By Number9 (Number9) on Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 02:20 pm: Edit

Although I don't recommend it, I typed a 3500 word list into flash cards.

By Phoenix1 (Phoenix1) on Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 03:43 pm: Edit

Don't type, it takes way too long to print. Write out by hand, much faster. Did what Number 9 did.

By Sticksandstones (Sticksandstones) on Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 05:27 pm: Edit

Number9, where is the list of books that you mentioned, I can't find it.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page