PSAT< SAT > SATII < ACT

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: June 2004 Archive: PSAT< SAT > SATII < ACT
By Special_Foreign (Special_Foreign) on Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 01:38 pm: Edit

---of all the these tests which did you find the hardest?

---how many times did you take the SAT SAT II and ACT and by how much did you improve?

---what are the best prep books for each test? i want in depth prep books that will talk about each topic in detail. especially prep books that deal with the verbal. (this is the question that i'm most interested in)

---for the SAT II subject tests is it better to have certain classes taken before taking a test or will it not make a difference. (this is what i mean)
bio= is it better to have taken it after AP bio or will it not make that big of a difference
physics = i heard that for this test you need to have taken AP Physics then take the test
etc for all the other tests (please give your opinion on writing,literature,us history,world history,math IIC,bio,chemistry,physics,french with listening)

By Number9 (Number9) on Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 02:15 pm: Edit

I haven't taken all those tests, but I can tell you it really depends on the year in the case of the SAT and PSAT. Sometimes the PSAT is harder, sometimes its not...I think the SAT IIs are the easiest, because they're subject tests unlike the PSAT/SAT/ACT.

It definitely helps immensely to take an AP course before an SAT II. Thats why there is such a high amount of people that take their three SAT IIs in May...AP classes are finishing up, and the SAT II serves as a good warm-up for the AP test.

By Special_Foreign (Special_Foreign) on Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 05:53 pm: Edit

bump please i really need some help

By Anijen21 (Anijen21) on Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 06:10 pm: Edit

My opinion on all of the tests is that you have to try them all and then figure out which is best for you. The PSAT, of course, is just a mini-SAT...probably a little bit easier, but not much. I personally find the ACT loads easier than the SAT, but it really depends on how you think. I think the SAT is more for logical thinkers with vocabularies that would impress linguists, and the ACT is for the people who actually pay attention in school.

I just took my first SAT IIs last Saturday, so I can't really comment on them until I see how I did.

By Special_Foreign (Special_Foreign) on Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 07:44 pm: Edit

bump bump i really want to practice over sumer and i'm leaving for europe so i need to get the stuff ready. PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEE

By Number9 (Number9) on Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 09:04 pm: Edit

Good Lord. We've tried to help you.

Take a damn practice ACT and SAT and decide which is best for you.

You're going to have to take the PSAT as a junior anyway, so there is no avoiding that.

SAT II tests are over subjects. Get good at basic math or advanced math, writing, and something else, and make sure to take 3.

It depends on yourself to determine the ease of the tests. Anijen and I have done all we can tell you about the tests.

By Dkm (Dkm) on Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 07:50 am: Edit

PSAT..the most stupid test
i am living proof

sophmore PSAT - 44 math 42 verbal
junior SAT- 740 verbal 720 math

and i didnt study anything in between

By Eeeeyor (Eeeeyor) on Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 08:40 am: Edit

if you are already good at grammar then just practice for the sat over the summer and youll be prepared for the psat. they are about the same in difficulty except that the psat is shorter and with a section called writing, but there isnt an essay. if you arent pretty strong in the subject then youll probably find the sat II's difficult. the act i would say, compared to the sat, has somewhat simpler questions but you have little time.

if you are good at math, are a quick reader that remembers what you read, and can work quickly then mayber you should take the act
if you are good at math, are a good reader, have a strong vocabulary, but you need some more time then maybe the sat is the one for you. if your not good at any of these things i would practice for the act since there isnt any need for a broad vocabulary which is hard to acquire.

since the act is more subject based, it's kinda like the sat II's except easier; if you prepare for any of the sat II's then the corresponding section of the act will seem easy, especially the math

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page