2 C's!!! + high SAT = slacker?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: June 2004 Archive: 2 C's!!! + high SAT = slacker?
By Crazylicious (Crazylicious) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 11:59 pm: Edit

I have 2 C's on my transcript (1 soph year for Geometry honors and 1 first semester this jr year for AP Biology)... I do have a challenging course selection. All available honors/AP except for math (starting this year only... math is not my forte.. english and history are). I have plenty of B's as well... I do work hard though but I always seem to teeter totter between that A- and B+. My UW is dismal (3.44 or something). My cumulative weighted is 4.1 or something but will increase with grades coming. My UC GPA is 3.74 or so.

Anyways, since my grades aren't superb (compared to A's across the board). I know having a stellar SAT would help me, but would colleges perceive me as being a slacker? Having 2 C's + 1400+??

I hate C's :(

By Silverstar (Silverstar) on Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 12:11 am: Edit

I don't really know anything about whether colleges will percieve you as a slacker based on this, but I have almost the EXACT same dilemma as you. I got a C in modern world history (freshman year) which I fully admit to completely slacking off in (ugh I shouldn't have gotten that C) and a potential C this year in AP Physics. I'm taking a relatively difficult courseload (3 APs, one honors, 2 very time-consuming ECs) and my weighted/unweighted GPA's are very similar to yours. I haven't taken the SATI yet, but I've been getting fairly high scores on practice tests (1400+) and I'm taking it in oct. I have heard though, that colleges look for consistancy in applicants, so I'm hoping they don't percieve us as being slackers.

By 1212 (1212) on Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 12:31 am: Edit

i know a kid with a C AVERAGE, GPAs in the 2s, with a 1580 SAT, got rejected from all state colleges, but accepted to UPENN. No affirmitive action or athletic scholarship, so i got no clue, while i have also seen 1600s with 3.5s unweighted rejected from UPENN

By Yujin (Yujin) on Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 11:25 am: Edit

Yeah it shows you have bad work ethics..

If you improved that those Cs into As and Bs, that will definitely look good, however.

By Crazylicious (Crazylicious) on Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 01:46 pm: Edit

[rant]

Gahh... I get caught into a bad pattern... My QUARTER grades are always higher than my SEMESTER grades (usualy)... Well I cannot do anything about my geometry honors grade from last year... I had a B- or something for geo 1st semester and C second semester... I wanted to take it over the summer or something, but my school said you can't rectify anything above a C. This year, I got that C+ in AP Bio, but that is definitely going up to a B for this recent (2nd) semester grades.

I was really hoping for straight A's this semester but that dream has recently faded away... My BIO grade won't be an A- and my Spanish grade (formerly an A-) is going down to a B b/c of a stupid test....

[/rant]

By Thereishope (Thereishope) on Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 06:12 pm: Edit

I got Cs and Bs and only 2 As in freshman year. 1 c 1 b and all As in 10th, and all As in 11 and 12th year. but i had some seious personal problem in grade 9, should i exaplain it or is there no need?

I have taken the hardest course avaiable and rank top 1% (most likely 2 or 3) out of 450 in my 10th - 12 year. or at least 11th and 12th year.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page