Can SAT prep class really boost ur score significantly?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: June 2004 Archive: Can SAT prep class really boost ur score significantly?
By Xranger (Xranger) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 09:40 pm: Edit

for SAT
Is it helpful? which prep class do you recommend, PR or kaplan?

I took my first SAT in may and I got 1200, can prep class raise my score to 1300 or maybe 1400?
I'm planning to retake SAT in october.

By Energy1 (Energy1) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 09:43 pm: Edit

Everything -- is determined by your will.

By Shaka (Shaka) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 10:07 pm: Edit

use the force...not the class

By Sackings100 (Sackings100) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 10:18 pm: Edit

i got 100 points better with a class

By Ilcapo (Ilcapo) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 10:23 pm: Edit

i had a ridiculously expensive tutor and i got a 1530, up from a 1390 - who knows if it was the tutor who helped but i took 30 practice tests (kaplan, barrons, and 10 real)

By Newt (Newt) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 10:38 pm: Edit

Just study yourself... buy the 10 real SAT book and take all of them. Plus, buy a book of SAT vocab and transcribe all the vocab words onto flash cards then memorize them. This helped me a lot!

I went from Verbal: 670 to 760 and Math: 710 to 760. Overall, 1380 to 1520.

By Haithman (Haithman) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 11:03 pm: Edit

pffff.. SAT classes! LoL I scored a 1040 on my PSAT (sophomore), and scored a 1510 on a practice test. Though I prob got owned this past Saturday with a 1300(sophomore).. As long as you have drive you can get any score you want. I will study this whole summer and strive for that 1450+
GoodLuck!

By Silverstar (Silverstar) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 11:41 pm: Edit

Take classes only if you have trouble motivating yourself to study. For most people, its incredibly difficult to sit down for a long period of time and focus one's attention solely on memorizing vocab or something like that. Paying for classes ensures that you put aside time for practice tests/vocab memorization.

By Zantedeschia (Zantedeschia) on Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 12:23 am: Edit

I think the class helped equally as much as self-studying. The tips are good but only up to a certain point...
I had a 1350 on practice test..and i took a PR coure and raised it to around 1450...then is studied by myself and got 1580 on real thing, and many say that the last 100 is hardest to raise anyway. So, if ur motivated, self-studying definately is just as good.

By Kwtortoise (Kwtortoise) on Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 12:39 am: Edit

I had a semester-long class offered by my school, which was mainly forcing the test format, test-taking skills, drilling vocab, and math strategies. I went up 240 points. It really depends on a lot. If you are measuring from being toally cold to your max score, it could help. But, if you've already reviewed on your own and know "how" to take the test, certain types of classes may not be worth the money. There are a lot of decent books out there. The main thing is exposure to past exams. Take all the practice tests you can get your hands on, because they repeat question types. Know the format, timing, etc. When you said your "first SAT," was it cold, or had you taken several practice tests or studied? If you have already done that, a prep class may not be the most beneficial. Your scores will also go up with more experience, such as a probable math review when school starts.

By Vanessa1378 (Vanessa1378) on Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 12:25 pm: Edit

I agree with Newt: Memorizing vocab words helps a lot.

By Wishful_Thinker (Wishful_Thinker) on Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 02:43 pm: Edit

i don't think prep classes work too well. most ppl i know gained less than 50 pts.

i say do it yourself. or w/ a friend even...quiz each other blah blah.

By Tired_Student (Tired_Student) on Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 03:59 pm: Edit

What i loved about practice courses:

The competition (try going to a place that challenges you. In my class the only people there were from the #1 and #2 specialized high schools in the city, so there was a school pride competition to memorize vocabulary and do better in practice tests.)

courses are expensive, which motivates you to get the most from your cash.

Courses give you homework and will embarrass you if you dont do them. Homework helps you practice techniques which you learn.

Courses give you confidence, which is very important when facing a daunting foe such as the SAT.

By Varr (Varr) on Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 07:11 pm: Edit

Will taking a test preparation course help me?
It's hard to say. Test preparation courses run the gamut from inexpensive to pricey. The content they cover differs as well. You need to make the choice that fits best for you. Here's some factual information about short- and long-term programs to help you make your decision:

Short-term programs (about 20 hours) improve scores an average of about 10 points on verbal and about 15 points on math.
Longer programs (40 hours or so) improve scores an average of 15 to 20 points on verbal and 20 to 30 points on math.
Math scores seem to benefit more from coaching than verbal scores do. (There may be several reasons for this: the math sections are more related to course work, some of the question types might be unfamiliar to students, and some students may have stopped their formal study of math and need to review mathematical concepts.)
Longer programs yield somewhat larger gains; however, beyond the first 20 or 30 hours of coaching, score gains are very minor.
Perhaps the most important consideration in deciding what to do is how much time will be involved. Some preparation courses involve 40 or more hours. In weighing the potential benefits and costs of any special preparation activities, you should consider how you could best use that time to help prepare yourself for college. SAT I scores are only one part of an admissions application, and getting into college is only the first step toward a college degree.

By Tired_Student (Tired_Student) on Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 07:13 pm: Edit

Princeton Review jumped my score from 1180-1400 and maybe even higher pending this June score.

By Jangel86 (Jangel86) on Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 09:46 pm: Edit

just using books brought my score up from a 1320 on PSATS, to a 1520. You definitely do not need a class if you are motivated.

By Altf4 (Altf4) on Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 11:19 pm: Edit

indeed, but it is much harder to prepare for the new exam when no previous tests have been issued before!!!
i'm just doing the old ones from 10 reals for now, but that isn't going to help much is it?

By Xranger (Xranger) on Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 01:48 am: Edit

The first I took the test was a practice test and I got 1000. I did all the practice tests from PR, kaplan, and sparknotes, and the highest I got was 1300, most of the time it's between 1200-1250. On the real test I got 1240.

It's just seem no matter what I do, I can't get above 1300. the verbal is what keeping my score low. I got 690 for math and 550 on verbal. I did flash cards and try to memorize the vocab words, but still doesn't help. Cause it's really hard to memorize 1000 words, all the words that I focus the most didn't show up on the real test.

Will Princeton review class help raise my score?
I'm aiming for AT LEAST 700 math and 600 verbal.

By Xiggi (Xiggi) on Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 02:17 am: Edit

Will the PR class boost your score? Extremely unlikely!

Look at your list of tests you used ... where are the 10 Real Sat tests. Give yourself a chance and buy the book. That is all you need.

By Gostanford (Gostanford) on Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 05:41 pm: Edit

yes!!!
i took PRINCETON and it raised my scores from a 1270 to a 1510!! but i did put a lot of effort in also.

By Wonderchic (Wonderchic) on Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 06:27 pm: Edit

Yes, but only if you put effort into using the information that you teach you. I started out with a 520 on practice writing tests, but by the time I finished with Princeton, I got a 760 on the actual SAT II. So it's all up to you.

By Edwebdev (Edwebdev) on Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 06:59 pm: Edit

Xranger- the best thing you can do is take practice tests. practice test, practice test, practice test. Pick up a copy of "10 Real SATs" and go to town on it.

Best of luck in your testing!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page