High School Awards

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: June 2004 Archive: High School Awards
By Zas1987 (Zas1987) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 08:01 pm: Edit

Which of the high school awards given at schools are the most prestigious? For instance, is the Brown Book Award any different than the Dartmouth, or Wellsley? What about science and math awards such as the Bausch and Lomb and the Rennsalaer?

By Freak (Freak) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 09:08 pm: Edit

um... each school usually gives anywhere from 8-15 book awards to juniors. i dont think one is more "prestigious" than another. they are given for different things, intellectual merit, leadership, etc. your counselor has to recommend you.

i got the U. Penn book award btw.

By Jrpar (Jrpar) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 09:13 pm: Edit

The criteria for each book award is different. Some are for top 5%, top 10%, top student in English, extra curriculars, leadership, etc. Each college specifies the criteria.

By Mysticaura (Mysticaura) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 09:23 pm: Edit

when are these book awards given? end of jr year?? i know my school has the harvard book award but I think the criteria is you have to be valedictorian :(

By Zas1987 (Zas1987) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 09:45 pm: Edit

how do they know if ur valedictorian at the end of jr year?

By Binarystar (Binarystar) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 09:57 pm: Edit

In my school, the "Yale Book Award" is given to the junior with the highest cumulative GPA.

By Jrpar (Jrpar) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 10:04 pm: Edit

Book awards are given at the end of junior year.

By Netmet (Netmet) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 11:24 pm: Edit

Yeah- at my school for the most part, book awards are purely based on guidance counselor reccomendation and fulfillment of certain qualifications. for example , I won the URochester award for social sciences/humanities (the bausch and Lomb award of the humanities), based on counselor reccomendation and excelling in the social sciences. However, at my school at least, the differentiation between a Harvard, a Yale, and a Brown book award is little. And, at my school, valedictorian is named at the end of junior year, because ED/EA college apps go in before end of first quarter.

By Homer2568 (Homer2568) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 11:30 pm: Edit

i got the colgate book award and it was given for "the junior who excels in academics, in leadership, and has a particular awareness for global issues" each book award has a specific criteria given for it for example yales is "the junior who display high moral character and is committed to the improvement of the moral standard of others." In my school, they give out 12 book awards to juniors by vote of the faculty during an assigned meeting day during April. At my school they gave Harvard, Princeton, Yale, Mount Holyoke, Smith, Wellesley, Brown(english department selects), Colgate, Cornell(hist department selects), UPenn, and Dartmouth.

By Aim78 (Aim78) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 11:34 pm: Edit

I don't know a single guidance counselor, and I don't really want to know any of them either. They seem hell bent on NOT letting you take the classes you want.

By Dalaboy (Dalaboy) on Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 01:34 am: Edit

well the rensselaer medal is "to recognize the achievements of the strongest science and mathematics student in the junior class."

By Needhelp06 (Needhelp06) on Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 01:50 am: Edit

what is a book award? sorry for the stupid question.

By Number9 (Number9) on Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 02:21 am: Edit

>>I don't know a single guidance counselor, and I don't really want to know any of them either. They seem hell bent on NOT letting you take the classes you want.

Exactly how it is here, too. Its a big song and a dance just to try and excel, then they treat you like an annoyance instead of someone ambitious...

By Crypto86 (Crypto86) on Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 08:49 pm: Edit

Tonight I was awarded our school's Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute Medal Award! I am so excited - I was invited to our academic awards, but we weren't told what it was for, so I was really happy when I got it. I was thinking my really intelligent friend was gonna get it (he got ALL of our grades' academic awards tonight) but somehow I got it. He's really excited for me as I am for him (He came in 8th in the state in NJ science league for Phys. I and 5th in the state and first in Bergen County for the NJ Merck Science test - integrated). Anyways, I'm really happy - I knew about RPI from here, and it's home to some of the best science students in the world!

By Sraid7777 (Sraid7777) on Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 09:10 pm: Edit

nice job crypto.

and it's home to some of the best science students in the world!

including my brother!...

By Crypto86 (Crypto86) on Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 09:12 pm: Edit

I appreciate your generous comments! Hopefully I can get in to RPI, but that's a whole separate thread - I'll start that during next year! Anyways, thanks a ton again.

By Aim78 (Aim78) on Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 09:55 pm: Edit

I told one guidance counserlor that I wanted to go to Stanford, but quickly said that I probably wouldn't get in because it's impossible. She scrunched up her face, shook her head, and said not to get my hopes and try for a UC instead. She didn't even know my GPA or my name or anything! Ah well, as long as they sign my forms and give me directions to others of them that can sign my forms, it's cool.

By Ace1120 (Ace1120) on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 01:33 pm: Edit

hey, im really confused about awards and stuff. my school, which is a top public school, doesn't give out any awards the end of junior year. i've never even heard of "harvard book awards' and stuff like that. does it make a big diff in admissions? like, if you get the yale book award, per se, then does yale like you more? am i at a disadvantage because my school doesn't really give out awards? i mean, we don't even have a valedictorian and our GPAs aren't even calculated because the school is trying to reduce competition and high stress levels.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page