Sick when taking sat IIs

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: June 2004 Archive: Sick when taking sat IIs
By Poolershark (Poolershark) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 04:52 pm: Edit

I took my SAT IIs saturday while I had appendicitis (I didn't know it at the time but I actually had emergency surgery that night it was so bad). I think I did really horribly, and I don't know if I'll be able to make those up - I took spanish and biology. Will colleges understand this? Do I submit the scores anyway even if they're low, and should I let them know I was sick? thanks

By Yoyomama04 (Yoyomama04) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 09:02 pm: Edit

If you can't cancel the scores, plan on retaking and writing an extra essay for your apps to explain your situation.

By Jason (Jason) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 09:58 pm: Edit

If it's not too late, (and you have time to repeat the tests) just cancel your scores.

By Lurker (Lurker) on Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 08:43 pm: Edit

I hope you're feeling better! Your Saturday certainly ranks up there with having a REALLY lousy day.

If you're a rising senior, you still have a few testing dates next fall to take the SATs. October testing will be early enough for early decision. Even November testing, if sent RUSH and if you call an admissions office to let them know, can be used for early decision. October, November, December, and possibly January test dates can be used for regular decision.

If I were you, I would absolutely MAKE the time to make up those SAT II tests next fall. SAT II scores are actually pretty important in the admissions process. You actually don't have to cancel the "appendicitis" scores because colleges only look at your highest score. (And you can easily explain away the scores from last Saturday.)

But, really, make the time to retake them next fall. You could simply try to explain away how sick you were when you took the tests and submit them anyway, but SAT II scores ARE important. If I were an adcom, I would then ask you, "Why didn't you retake those tests? You did have ample time."

Good luck, and I hope you are feeling better.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page