ACT harder than SAT?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: June 2004 Archive: ACT harder than SAT?
By Vanessa1378 (Vanessa1378) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 02:10 pm: Edit

I took the SAT in March and got a 1320 (660M/660V). Today I took an ACT practice test and got a 23. I did terrible on the math section- didn't finish half the questions. I ran short on time on the science. Shouldn't I be getting a higher ACT score? Should I still take it this Saturday?

By Billingdate (Billingdate) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 02:13 pm: Edit

I think the SAT is used more to determine the way that you think...not exactly what you've learned. The ACT tests what you've learned and you're supposed to be spitting it back out. ACT math questions are more.."What is the multiplicative inverse of such and such"...which is something that's stamped into your brain.
The SAT on the other hand, math is more...taking what you've learned and applying it. You don't have to cover the subject to know what you're doing.
Both tests are the same for me..I hate grammatical corrections on the ACT.
I'm taking it on Saturday...Good luck to all who are too!

By Athlonmj (Athlonmj) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 02:14 pm: Edit

I think the questions on the ACT are generally easier and more straightforward than the SAT questions. However, on the ACT, you are more crunched for time so you have to pace yourself to finish on time. If you signed up for it on Saturday, it can't hurt to take it because if you decide to send your ACT scores, you choose which one(s) will be sent.

By Ihatesats (Ihatesats) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 03:00 pm: Edit

The ACT is a joke compared to the SAT, in my opinion.

The ACT only tests material from the K-12 curriculum, while the SAT (I) tests critical thinking skills.

The reason that there are so few perfect scores (36) on the ACT compared to the SAT is because (1) fewer take the ACT, and (2) the ACT allows for very few errors (usually, -0 = 36 in a particular subject area, whereas SAT allows -3-5 V and -0-1 M)

By Confusedinpa (Confusedinpa) on Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 06:57 pm: Edit

I LOVE the ACT!!!

By Macadamiamin (Macadamiamin) on Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 08:12 pm: Edit

Also, the ACT is taken in areas of the country where score averages tend to be lower anyway. (a nice way of saying it another way.... :))

By Anijen21 (Anijen21) on Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 08:17 pm: Edit

What did you get on the ACT, Macadamiamin?

By Madd87 (Madd87) on Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 08:17 pm: Edit

Actually about the same number of people take it. And Macadamiamin -- I dont think so.

By Greg530 (Greg530) on Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 11:03 pm: Edit

**** off, macadamiamin. ACT is a midwestern test.

By Adrianwuzhere (Adrianwuzhere) on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 12:11 am: Edit

i personally think the ACT is much easier.. they put more emphasis on grammar and less on obscure vocabulary. The questions are easier than SAT, but you have to go fast. Girls usually do better on ACT than SAT.. i know i did! :-)

By Ecnerwalc (Ecnerwalc) on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 12:52 am: Edit

Actually ACT is also getting to be a southern test. Bascially all people at my school (in south) take the ACT. Many even graduate without taking the SAT. Most do very poorly on the ACT though.

By Mattb (Mattb) on Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 03:36 pm: Edit

I took the ACT and get this! I scored 19 on my reading on the test in March, but I scored a 27 on the second test on June 12. The fact I'm trying to get at: All STANDARDIZED tests suck! I scored a 25(ok) on Science the first time, but I scored a 22(bad for me) the second time. Wait a second. I received a B+ in Biology AP and have an A test average in the class, and I do most of the reading myself. On top of that, there is a 5 point differential between the Reading and Science scores I received, Reading being the highest. (Hint: the ACT Reading is the same as Science, so what's up?)

By Mattman (Mattman) on Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 03:45 pm: Edit

The ACT Reading is about understanding the passage and the ACT Science is about understanding tables, graphs, etc. Science is definitely regarded as the hardest of the four sections, especially due to time constraints.

By Mathninja (Mathninja) on Friday, June 25, 2004 - 08:33 pm: Edit

The ACT is not necessarily about what you have learned compared to critical thinking skills. For example, I consider the ACT's English section very comparable to SAT II writing, and the ACT's reading section is very similar to the SAT reading in structure. It is, however, much more based on finding information than inferring as the SAT is. However, the SAT DOES require you know vocabulary for analogies/sentence completions whereas the ACT doesn't ask any purely vocabulary-based questions. I would say the general thinking skills on the SAT holds true for math though. Science on the ACT is pure common sense.

By Ledyana (Ledyana) on Sunday, June 27, 2004 - 05:21 pm: Edit

i feel the sat especially the verbal part is unfair for international student. For me, I can only understand (all of the options) for the first two or three numbers.. while for the middle and last part is all about guessing..

By Meganc123 (Meganc123) on Sunday, June 27, 2004 - 05:46 pm: Edit

Ledyana: That's kind of the point. The test is supposed to see how well you can understand English. Using your logic, the math section is also "unfair" to those who don't understand math that well...

By Collegewannabe (Collegewannabe) on Sunday, June 27, 2004 - 10:44 pm: Edit

what kind of science is on the ACT is it like stuff from bio chem physics or just analyzing graphs and stuff

By Guitarshredder (Guitarshredder) on Monday, June 28, 2004 - 09:27 am: Edit

The latter.

You also have to answer questions based on experiments.

By Htown1398 (Htown1398) on Monday, June 28, 2004 - 01:28 pm: Edit

YES YOU BASTARD!! YES!!! IT'S A LOT HARDER!!! Well, unless you're a badass reader guy like my awesome friend. He's awesome; I'm friends with him, which is bragable.

By Emilia (Emilia) on Monday, June 28, 2004 - 01:45 pm: Edit

I thought the SAT was easier just because I had enough time to finish every section and not be in a constant hurry. I was less stressed taking it.

But my scores are pretty much even in both: (No prep before)
SAT 1460 - (670 math, 790 verbal)
ACT 32 (1st time) and 33 (2nd time)

By Mattman (Mattman) on Monday, June 28, 2004 - 01:48 pm: Edit

I would generally say that SAT is easier but trickier and ACT is harder (especially through time constraints) but straightforward.

I made comparable scores on both, even after a raise on both retakes. If you want to know specifics, check the profile.

By Kousuke (Kousuke) on Monday, June 28, 2004 - 04:19 pm: Edit

i hate the ACT, i had a 1490SAT, and ended up with a 32ACT. i thought the ACT was suppose to be easier, i got a 35math on the ACT, this pissed me off, both times i took the SAT i got 800s on the math sections, what the hell. and science was nice and easy, unlike the reading section were you have 4 passages to read in 35 mins. how am i suppose to do that? and apparently my grammer sucks.

By Kousuke (Kousuke) on Monday, June 28, 2004 - 04:22 pm: Edit

the ACT verbal is much like the SAT2 Writing, i got a 660SAT2writing, and a comparably crappy 27verbal on the ACT. the reading section on the ACT is much more like the SATverbal.

By Chicagojen (Chicagojen) on Monday, June 28, 2004 - 08:28 pm: Edit

I thought the ACT was a little easier. But I'm from the midwest, and my school puts a big emphasis on the ACT. I thought that the ACT Math was alot easier than the SAT Math. I ended up with a 31ACT (1360-1400) and a 1330 SAT (30)

By Spencer915 (Spencer915) on Monday, June 28, 2004 - 08:42 pm: Edit

It seems as though depending on when you take the SAT, it can be harder or easier to get an 800 depending on the curve. The curve for the March SAT I, I thought was a bit brutal. I only got 3 wrong in verbal, which on my practice tests was always an 800 or 790. But in March, it was a 780. And in Math, getting two wrong brought me down to a 760, when on practice SAT's I would get a 770. And these practice tests were actual SAT's from the past, and I was using the curve that ETS had calculated for each test. If I had gotten the same number wrong on the SAT they used in October of 2002, I would have gotten a 1600.

By Justice (Justice) on Monday, June 28, 2004 - 10:10 pm: Edit

The 10Real curves are trash. I got 3wrong in October and got a 770 in Verbal. I got 2wrong in Jan. and got an 800. One question cost me 30 points.

By Greg530 (Greg530) on Monday, June 28, 2004 - 11:48 pm: Edit

yes, kousuke, judging from your posts, your grammar does suck

By Kousuke (Kousuke) on Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 12:11 am: Edit

thanks buddy, your opinion is valued, and i agree. enjoy UIUC, good school.

By Greg530 (Greg530) on Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 12:31 pm: Edit

forgive me if I was a jerk, kouske

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page