OFFICIAL SAT 2 WRITING ESSAY DISCUSSION

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: June 2004 Archive: OFFICIAL SAT 2 WRITING ESSAY DISCUSSION
By Thereishope (Thereishope) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 07:03 pm: Edit

If you guys want comment on your essay and discuss the essay portion. Here you go.

By Ecnerwalc (Ecnerwalc) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 07:17 pm: Edit

ookay

By Npatrick6 (Npatrick6) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 07:23 pm: Edit

For the choices essay, I wrote about how high school is a critical period in people's lives and how a large part of their future is determined by the choices they make during high school.

I talked about personal choices (choosing to party or do drugs) and academic choices (choosing to study hard, get good grades and test scores, etc.) as well as failing to use discretion in matters like these. Then I pointed out the implications for each in terms of going to college and building your future. I also mentioned for each how failures to make good choices may haunt you for the rest of your life.

It was very grammatically sound and had a strong thesis, but I know it's best not to use personal examples if at all possible (I was sort of having trouble thinking).

Do you think I have a chance at a 10-12 essay? I tried to be conservative, but I felt reasonably confident after I finished writing.

By Mehere (Mehere) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 07:37 pm: Edit

how long was yours?

For mine, i had a standard 5 paragraph essay. filled every line possible.

in the first para, i talked about the novel Mayor of Casterbridge and its character's choices, which affect their own lives.

for the second one. i talked about world war 2, where hitler made the choice of ignoring the treaty of versailles and go into the demilitarized zone and poland, which resulted in ww2 and his death - suicide.

The last paragraph was on Saddam;'s choice of not complying with US offer of weapon inspection and was later captured. I also added Bin Laden's choice of attacking WTC, which resulted in his life style change as he has to live a life in hiding.

I usually dont use current events and politics, but then this time, they asked for it.. so i had to use it.. i know the third one is somewhat controversial.. what do you guys think?

By Npatrick6 (Npatrick6) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 07:42 pm: Edit

Four paragraphs long, filled every line. I thought it was pretty complete.

By Curtisny (Curtisny) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 07:42 pm: Edit

It asked for one examples so i gave one example. I used Macbeth and talked about how Macbeth's thirst for power led to his own demise. An intro, two body paragraphs and a conclusion.

By Calidan (Calidan) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 07:43 pm: Edit

So... for my essay, I had the prompt about how the choices you make shape your life, or somewhere along those lines. I wrote about Alice Paul and Lucy Burns (suffragists), and also about Huck Finn. My intro and the 2 supporting paragraphs were all clear, well organized, and (I like to think) insightful. However, the proctor then announced that we had one minute left, so my conclusion (besides from being in the most atrocious handwriting possible) pretty much just restated my introduction, however in fewer words and in confusing and repetitive diction. How do you think this botched conclusion will affect my essay grade? Thanks!

By Mehere (Mehere) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 07:48 pm: Edit

Npatrick6 , i think yours is quite good, except for you only used example from personal life. I think it would have helped more if you used a variety. but a 10 should be no problem. thats my guess...

anyone have any comments on the three examples i used?

By Athlonmj (Athlonmj) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 07:56 pm: Edit

A friend of mine invented a brother for himself. He said his brother was a high school valedictorian that went to a ivy league school but dropped out and now is a pot-head living in the basement. (He also used Richard Nixon as an example). Just like to share that with you guys :)

By Sulskman (Sulskman) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 08:01 pm: Edit

I disagreed with the quote and wrote how the Jews were killed in the Holocaust and they didn't make any bad choice to deserve it. I also wrote about my "father" who suffered from mental illness and couldn't live a normal life; despite the fact he didn't make any poor choices.

By Enarang (Enarang) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 09:18 pm: Edit

What do you think of my essay? I thought it was o.k. maybe a little private but I think it was different then the norm. I only used one exaple but supported it well.

I wrote about my cousin who lived in Florida. He made a choice to leave his house because his mother would always yell at him for doing something or the other wrong. This sent him into a long depression. He made the choice to leave the house and it seemed to him that he made the right move. However, he ended up getting heavily involved in partying, drinking and trouble with the police. To this day that choice has altered his life as he has lost contact with the family and gone down pretty fast. Then to wrap it up I said something like I can say that my cousin's life is the result of the choice he made to leave his house.

By Aim78 (Aim78) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 09:30 pm: Edit

4 paragraphs, took way too long on it, and as a result MC suffered.

Wrote about Two Old Women in which the women make a choice to survive, and I wrote about The Scarlet Letter in which Dimmesdale makes a choice to keep his sin buried in his conscience.

By Scion (Scion) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 09:35 pm: Edit

actually filled both sides

had a thesis

had topic sentences and concluding sentences

1st paragraph: edna pontellier in the awakening

2nd paragraph: the wingfield family in the glass menagerie

3rd paragraph: kobe bryant and martha stewart

one sentence conclusion

do u think i could get at least a >6?

By Mehere (Mehere) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 09:55 pm: Edit

Scion. for sure... i'd say a 8 min if u had a solid two para support

could someone who has taken the writing test given their opinion on our essays?

By Mahajan2005 (Mahajan2005) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 10:23 pm: Edit

I didnt have much, but filled the whole thing. Intro regarding a statement/quotation from Hesse's Siddharta. Para II: I think this was a reference to politics, that is the firing of Tenet, words by both Pelosi and this Illinois senator. Then I had a para about Jurgis from Sinclair's the Jungle (you can rise/think that you have risen over adversity). I also included some Napoleon, I forget rest.

Writing MC was kamikaze tho!

By Tallyrand (Tallyrand) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 10:30 pm: Edit

Um, I had a four paragraph essay. I had a very good, flowing style, and chose my words carefully. I used personal examples: one about when I decided to do one activity over another, and another about a lack of a decision, when I spent so long deciding between two summer activities that I missed the application deadline for both. I quoted Gandhi in my introduction and referenced the Existentialist movement in my conclusion. I filled up pretty much the entire space alloted for writing, but my handwriting's kind of big. There might have been two or three misspelled words.

Think I could get a 10-12?

By Thereishope (Thereishope) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 10:52 pm: Edit

i'd say its likely.. tallyrand, but im no expert

maybe someone who got 11 or 12 on their essay might want to give some of their opinion on this.

By Ragnarok (Ragnarok) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 03:55 pm: Edit

I had a complete mind blank and couldn't think of any examples for the choices prompt. I finally thought of a character from the book The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien, but I couldn't think of his name (it's Norman Bowker). Assuming that my essay was well-written, well structured, etc, do you guys still think I have a chance of getting a good score if I used a character from a book that isn't classic literature, and I couldn't even remember the name of the character so I just referred to him as "the character"?

By Crypticism (Crypticism) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 04:58 pm: Edit

I had the prompt about choices (or lack thereof) affecting lives.

I wrote about indigenous hawaiian birds that were hunted nearly to extinction before laws were passed restricting hunting. I used two examples (I wanted to use 3, but I was running out of time). I don't think I worded things amazingly well, but pretty well. I also added lots of (made up) numbers of ones left in the wild, (made up) dates when they were added to the endangered species list, and a few reasons why people hunted them.

I used about 1 1/2 pages. My main concern is that it didn't focus on how the hunting of the birds affected human lives, although I did touch on that.

I hope I get points for it being informative and unique. ;) I'm horrible with historical and literary references, but fine with scientific ones.

So, anyway.. Just thought I'd share.

By Enarang (Enarang) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 06:10 pm: Edit

any thoughts/reactions/comments about mine?

I wrote about my cousin who lived in Florida. He made a choice to leave his house because his mother would always yell at him for doing something or the other wrong. This sent him into a long depression. He made the choice to leave the house and it seemed to him that he made the right move. However, he ended up getting heavily involved in partying, drinking and trouble with the police. To this day that choice has altered his life as he has lost contact with the family and gone down pretty fast. Then to wrap it up I said something like I can say that my cousin's life is the result of the choice he made to leave his house.

By Lex06 (Lex06) on Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 12:52 am: Edit

The most important aspect of your essay is its organization and clarity. The content obviously counts, but the people grading are much more concerned with HOW you write than what you choose to write about. As long as your examples are relevant, it's how you present them that really matters. So, if you essay clearly addressed the point and had a solid structure, you should consider it a success.

(I got an 800 on the writing 3 years ago and I now tutor for it.)

By Mehere (Mehere) on Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 01:27 am: Edit

Lex06, thx a lot for your input, but could you elaborate on "the people grading are much more concerned with HOW you write than what you choose to write about"

so are you saying grammar and sentence structure is more important than content? I have always thought that a few grammar mistakes is okay in 20 mins.

I wrote a 5 paragraph essay with an intro and conclu paragraph, while the middle three had one example each. I filled every line, but the conlusion was short due the a lack of space (2 lines). I used example from literature, history, and current events.

Is it better to use examples from a variety of sources or is it better to use one and develope it more?

By Skywalkersblade (Skywalkersblade) on Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 01:45 am: Edit

i talked about Raskolnikov, Napoleon, and Pete Rose.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page