Test prep review: who wins?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: June 2004 Archive: Test prep review: who wins?
By Succor101 (Succor101) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 11:45 pm: Edit

this is probably the best time to ask this...

immediately after taking your tests, which company (barrons, PR, kaplan, etc...) did you get your test prep from & how accurate or helpful was the book/course?

I increasingly find that barrons is falling out of my favor and that PR is one of the few that does a satisfactory job.

By Altf4 (Altf4) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 11:49 pm: Edit

NONE

i think ETS takes all those books, and finds questions that aren't covered in any of them, just to make us lose.

kaplan would be the closest for bio M, covered all the stuff i needed and not the extranneous crap that barrons had

By Emika (Emika) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 11:54 pm: Edit

I grabbed a PR review book at the last minute- and was quite glad when I saw a question on the SAT which was exactly same as one of the few example ?'s =D

It was a review book for females about how to get rid of the gender gap.. One of the few they had left lol

But it was great and helped me a LOT

By Thunder77 (Thunder77) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 11:57 pm: Edit

It really depends on what subject it is in. Dif books makes good ones and bad ones.

But i really don't like the PR. It doesn't make things sound serious and it skips a lot of stuff. Its probably good for some light reading and overview, but I dont feel too confident studying from it.
For example, the Chem sat ii from PR was extremely easy. Also, the review for AP EURO was brief and concise and easy to digest, but its too brief and just doesnt cut it for the exam.

By Succor101 (Succor101) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 11:59 pm: Edit

I agree, but I said PR is SATISFACTORY, not good...preferable to the barrons extraneous stuff

By Newt (Newt) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 12:11 am: Edit

Thunder, I disagree with you. I took both of those tests and studied with the princeton review. For the AP Euro, I just read the bold words in the study material and I found the test to be quite easy. I also think that it's good that the PR doesn't "take things seriously". In my opinion, the way it is written aids in its readability and helps get the big picture across. If you know the big picture, you can usually get the right answers on the test.

By Thunder77 (Thunder77) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 12:24 am: Edit

What about the chemistry sat ii? I found that to be too easy for my taste and did not prepare enough.

I'm not asking for you to agree with me, but sometimes I just dont feel confident using the PR. They don't prepare you to the point where you know everything, but they do give you the big picture and can give you the boost to a 700+ score

By Neelesh (Neelesh) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 12:54 am: Edit

it depends on what you want: for the SAT I, and specifically for vocabulary, get Hot Words For the SAT I, and its by Linda Carnsomething, and its a barrons. best damn book ever. i have taken the test 2 times, and like atleast 10 words are on the test everytime that are in the book. really, this book is great. im so glad i got it. also, here is a website for the top 100 words on the SAT, and many are used in the test:

http://www.quia.com/jg/1527list.html

For math, and for some help on the english part, get Kaplan 1600. It gives the hardest questions, and tells you how to do em and explains everything. I must admit though, that they dont alwayz go the easy route. the book reallys suxs sometimes, but its good practice, and it helps you a lot in the english section, like in guessing answers, eliminating answers, and getting better at the reading comprehension.

By Crypto86 (Crypto86) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 01:02 am: Edit

I got Up Your Score last weekend for studying over the summer. I hear it is good for CR - is this true?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page