How is Barrons for SATII Spanish

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: June 2004 Archive: How is Barrons for SATII Spanish
By Smartaleck123 (Smartaleck123) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 11:33 pm: Edit

How is Barrons for SATII Spanish?

Do you recommend other books instead? If you have taken SATII Spanish, please post your score and the book you used to prepare. Thank you!

By Sns22022 (Sns22022) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 11:14 am: Edit

I used Barrons. I haven't gotton my score back yet, but I thought it was very representative of the test, unlike other Barrons books. The review in the back is very good. I'd be happy to give you my score in a week when I get it. lol.

By Jangel86 (Jangel86) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 12:03 pm: Edit

I used princeton review, which was very different from the actual test. Not sure yet how I did though.

By Smartaleck123 (Smartaleck123) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 04:01 pm: Edit

thanks everyone for your input... any other people that took SATII Spanish? Jangel, was Princeton Review too hard or too easy (what do you mean by "very different" - in what way was PR not representative of the test?) Thank you

By Timo_To (Timo_To) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 04:53 pm: Edit

I took the Spanish on Saturday.
I wouldn´t recommend the Barrons Spanish book to anybody!
I had 6 years of spanish in school and I have never ever seen the type of language that this book is using.
So I just did one test and then put it away.
The book is just nothing like the real test!
The only thing that might be useful for you is the back of the book with some words and tenses you might need to know.

By Teal (Teal) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 08:11 pm: Edit

I used Kaplan and thought the tests were similar

By Jangel86 (Jangel86) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 09:57 pm: Edit

The princeton review book seemed to focus more on pronouns and the subjunctive, but on the actual test there was very few of those, especially the subjunctive. The reading passages in the book were a lot longer than those on the test, and had more questions. The test also had a bunch of ads and pictures that you had to answer questions about. But difficulty-wise, they both were about the same.

By Spright (Spright) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 09:23 am: Edit

I actually thought that Barron's worked well (for me) for spanish. I would take a practice test, look over the review in the back over what I had missed, and ask my spanish teacher about anything that was unclear. I did, however, think that the Barron's tests were significantly harder than the real one...I was doing well to get a 760 on theirs, but got an 800 on the real (May) one.

I don't think it's critical that you get a single, perfect review book...spanish isn't going to change in structure between practice and real tests, just in emphasis, possibly.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page