CAN I prep for SAT over summer BY MYSELF??? (10th grader)

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: June 2004 Archive: CAN I prep for SAT over summer BY MYSELF??? (10th grader)
By Tigeruppercut (Tigeruppercut) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 04:24 pm: Edit

Hey,

i'm thinking of preping over the summer BY MYSELF. i'm in the class of 2006 so i'll have to take the new sat. but anyways...i feel like i want to prep myself because i got a wealth of sat books already. if i take sat courses i will have to pay $1000+, and fit it into my tight schedule. i've already taken a sat class last summer and i feel like it didn't help much. what do you think? is it possible to study for the new sat by yourself? i'm a studious asian and i'm hoping for a 1500+.

THANKS!!!

By Succor101 (Succor101) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 04:27 pm: Edit

new sat...the CB actually offers some teest prep packages with full-length practice tests in the fall...you'll prolly wanna get in on those since your current books prolly won't have stuff on the new sat.

By Energy1 (Energy1) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:12 pm: Edit

Self-study is very possible.

How will a teacher possibly help you memorize vocabs? That is 100% depended on your will.

As for the reading comps, practice and knowing how to eliminate choices will get you a satifying score. If you spend enough time.

By Justperfect (Justperfect) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:16 pm: Edit

just in case you did not know the new sat will not be out of 16 it will be out of 2400 with each section at 800 pts a piece.good luck, and try and see the new problems on like Pr's website

By Altairaqua (Altairaqua) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 12:03 am: Edit

Yeah, you definitely can do it. I'm in the class of 2006 as well, and I self-studied for the SAT and did well on it. If you're willing to work, you'll be fine.

If you want to start studying now, but can't find any books on the new SAT, just use old SAT and SAT II Writing prep books to get you started (browse past threads for details on the best books). The new SAT prep books should be coming out soon.

Anyway, good luck to you.

By Infernalpanda (Infernalpanda) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 12:23 am: Edit

It is my opinion that any "studious asian" has the ability to study for, and get, a 1500+ or 750+ on any sat or sat ii that he or she chooses to commit enough time for, especially with such a long time as an entire summer.

By Tigeruppercut (Tigeruppercut) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 12:33 am: Edit

thanks a lot guys!
yea, i have the err "will" to do it.
so yea i'm just going to go ahead to prepare by myself. There are just soo much more advantages such as schedule flexibility, personal pace, and lotta move saved that overweigh preperatory classes in my opinion.

feel free to keep on discussing tho!
i'll return to this thread often

By Baggins (Baggins) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 12:43 am: Edit

I'm not taking the regular SAT class to prep either. I might take one next summer but it just depends on how my plans turn out. This summer I'm going to take a reading/writing class while I'm at Harvard to prep myself. It isn't for the SAT but I think it will help me. If you want to self study then you might want to check out the Princeton Review website. It has sample questions from the math and verbal sections.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page