Who's who among american high school students

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: June 2004 Archive: Who's who among american high school students
By Psychoticgar (Psychoticgar) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 04:21 pm: Edit

How prestigious is this?

By Jared (Jared) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 04:56 pm: Edit

its not...they just want ur money

By Psychoticgar (Psychoticgar) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:06 pm: Edit

...they don't ask for money...well lol only if u wanna buy a book in that case check please

By Vladimir2004 (Vladimir2004) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:09 pm: Edit

I guess It's good for colleges, I'm in it.

By Curtisny (Curtisny) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:23 pm: Edit

it means absolutely nothing...almost everyone i know with half a brain received an invitation to join.

By Psychoticgar (Psychoticgar) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:26 pm: Edit

I'll send my Student info thing...I'm not buying the book or anything. Hey if they can get me a scholarship and if they want to waste money printing my info...WHY NOT?! lol

By Curtisny (Curtisny) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:33 pm: Edit

uhm...get your head out of the clouds psycho...They're not going to give you a scholarship, that's not what they are about. And in order to get your name printed in the book you must pay money...

By Joanna180 (Joanna180) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:36 pm: Edit

But will they really get you a scholarship and do colleges really look at it? Like if I put it on my college applications will they be like "Everyone knows this is a scam..."??

By Psychoticgar (Psychoticgar) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:37 pm: Edit

...someone on a past thread had written that he/she received a scholarship from WW even though he/she didn't buy anything...besides it's not like it's costing me anything

By Sns22022 (Sns22022) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:48 pm: Edit

It's vanity press. Basically, it means Who's Who, National Honor Roll, etc don't mean anything when it comes to college. Colleges will probably just assume you were trying to fill your transcript. I'm not even putting it on there. One of my friends got in with her below 1000 SAT score, near-failing grades, and well, she isn't even ranked. It's really nothing.

By Goirulz (Goirulz) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 11:23 pm: Edit

Yeah, it's a joke. I mean, I was asked to join it even though I'm a student that is not studying in an American high school!

By Mutineer_33 (Mutineer_33) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 01:19 am: Edit

To this program, grades and scores really don't matter.....It's more of a (in lieu of a better phrase) "leadership recognition program" (you are invited b/c one of your teachers nominated you, not b/c you scored high on standardized tests), so even if you have a dumb friend who was invited, it doesn't really matter. But even with that said... Who's Who isn't all that prestigious unless you make it 3 or 4 years in a row.. b/c only that puts you in the top .5 or .25 (something like that) of a percent of HS students. Oh yeah, the answer to whether or not you can recieve scholarships from Who's is a yes.

By Ubercollegeman (Ubercollegeman) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 03:17 am: Edit

Who's who means nothing.

"But..nothing? Not even a tiny bit? Even just a tiny, tiny..."

No, nothing. You may as well fill that slot on your transcript with "expert microwave chef."

By Vtoodler (Vtoodler) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 07:42 am: Edit

who's whos does offer a scholarship program of which I think is bogus

By Aeg315 (Aeg315) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 09:25 am: Edit

Who's Who is kind of lame. I let them print my stats but I refused to pay them money for a book. And in terms of applying to colleges, it wouldn't look bad on your resume; the colleges probably just wouldn't care. It's really easy to get into the book, so it's not seen as this prestigious thing, this amazing accomplishment they say it is.

By Joanna180 (Joanna180) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 12:48 pm: Edit

Hmm, well I'm doing it anyway, but I'm NOT getting a book

By Poison_Ivy (Poison_Ivy) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 12:27 pm: Edit

They said that I'm in the top 5 percent when I have like a 3.4 UW. 3.5W. So only that many people have that grade? It's a joke.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page