ANYONE TAKE SAT II LITERATURE???

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: June 2004 Archive: ANYONE TAKE SAT II LITERATURE???
By Glory (Glory) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:04 pm: Edit

LOL, I took it because I chickened out on Bio... thought it was pretty alright.

By Monoe (Monoe) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:07 pm: Edit

I took it - I thought it was probably harder than the (one) practice test I took, but overall not a bad shake. Lots of social commentary, not much love. I do better on love, but social satire is not bad.

By Ilcapo (Ilcapo) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:26 pm: Edit

It was soo easy comparatively - i loved the one with the people who didnt like their friends and the one with the blues song

was the ship one all things self-destructive or just the boat and the sailor

By Monoe (Monoe) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:34 pm: Edit

I put the boat and the sailor - I was torn between that and 'profound thinkers' because that's the analogy Verne uses later, but I am pretty sure 'boat and sailor' is correct because at that point in the narrative, he has yet to draw that analogy. Yes, the stuck-up aristocrats are easy to love.

By Themabrklyn (Themabrklyn) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 02:43 pm: Edit

I thought it was pretty difficult. I didn't understand the Jazz piece at all, and a lot of the social satire was over-the-top, IMHO.

By Chatterjoy87 (Chatterjoy87) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 04:29 pm: Edit

darn, i put profound thinkers because i thought it was in context of the entire passage...

By Silverstar (Silverstar) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 04:34 pm: Edit

I took it on impulse. I took one glance at US History, and went F*** it, I'm taking lit.

I thought it wasn't too bad...the one about the ocean/land/sea captain/etc was pretty hard, and also the one about the blues singer. Social commentary ones were rather easy though.

By So0perb0y (So0perb0y) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 04:34 pm: Edit

i put profound thinkers. thought it was hard. watevs :/

By Chatterjoy87 (Chatterjoy87) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 04:41 pm: Edit

ya, i took it after chickening out of math iic...i really couldn't afford to mess up and have to take it for a THIRD time, haha it seems few people actually plan to take lit beforehand, and nobody's posting!

By Themabrklyn (Themabrklyn) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 04:59 pm: Edit

What was profound thinkers the answer to?

By Rubixcube (Rubixcube) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 06:13 pm: Edit

I hated the jazz singer poem, i just didn't get it, even though poetry is usually stronger for me.

The ship/sea one was from Moby~Dick, i was so happy.

By Ilcapo (Ilcapo) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 06:17 pm: Edit

for the jazz one

beauty conquers evil

or

ability to transcend human suffering

By Ilcapo (Ilcapo) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 06:20 pm: Edit

Does anyone know the name of that blues poem?

By Silverstar (Silverstar) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 02:08 am: Edit

it was called something like "homage to a blues queen" or something in that nature.

By So0perb0y (So0perb0y) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 03:38 am: Edit

ability to transcend human suffering...

i didnt know where we were supposed to get all of that adultery stuff from.

"profound thinkers" is the answer i put for "who is the chick referring to?" (correct answer is supposedly boat and the sailor)

By Emily_Uk (Emily_Uk) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 11:04 am: Edit

it had 'empress' in the title somewhere. What was the profound thinkers question?

By Monoe (Monoe) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 11:05 am: Edit

The poem was titled "Homage to the Empress of Blues"

The "adultery stuff" came from the second and third lines.

I also put "ability to transcend human suffering" - I thought the poem wasn't so much a contrast between beauty and EVIL as they were between beauty and SUFFERING.

By Simplyloved (Simplyloved) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 01:02 pm: Edit

i actually went in wanting to take the lit test. I thought it wasn't too bad but some were hard like the boat one, i liked the blues singer one. I said that she had the ability to transcend human suffering. In the first an third paragraphs they were talking about different types of suffering and in the second and fourth paragraphs they were talking about how the lady displays those emotions through her singing. I hope we all did good

By Ilcapo (Ilcapo) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 01:04 pm: Edit

guys im confused...what adultery stuff lol

maybe i f'ed up

By Chatterjoy87 (Chatterjoy87) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 01:39 pm: Edit

thanks simplyloved! good luck to you too
i want the scores now, i don't like suspense
for the poem entitled MAN, is the poet sympathetic to men? and was the last answer something about endless restlessness?

By Silverstar (Silverstar) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 04:19 pm: Edit

i didn't really understand the "Man" poem. At first I thought it was talking about how the bees and the birds and things worked harder and had more purpose than humans, as humans just drifted from place to place seeking purpose and never finding any.

By Monoe (Monoe) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 04:22 pm: Edit

It was saying that God has not endowed Man with purpose, but that God has given purpose and a good life to the animals. Man has to work for everything He gets. I put 'sympathetic to men' as well. I believe that's correct. Looking back, I don't think this test was that bad.

By Simplyloved (Simplyloved) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 05:25 pm: Edit

oh i think i messed up on that man poem/story thing.. i think i said taht god gave the bees only a mechanical purpose in life.. aww damn

By Glory (Glory) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 08:48 pm: Edit

how does the curve usually go?

for the homage/Blues one- the first question, talking about the poem as a whole was it
a) a listener remembering a good performance
b) an admirer observing the debut of a famous singer...

(paraphrased answer choices)

By Crypticism (Crypticism) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 03:36 am: Edit

I put a) a listener remembering a good performance, because it didn't say anything to suggest a 'debut'.. At least not that I noticed.

By Savoirfaire87 (Savoirfaire87) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 01:55 pm: Edit

overall it wasn't that bad...except my brain was fried by the bio exam and i wasted too much time on the poetry...oh well

less than 1% get an 800 on lit---yikes!

By Monoe (Monoe) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 03:16 pm: Edit

I put 'a listener remembering a good performance' as well, for the reasons Crypticism mentioned.

By Silverstar (Silverstar) on Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 12:01 am: Edit

i'm pretty sure that one was A, "a listener remember a good performance" because the poem seemed to be focusing only on one performance, plus the reason that crypticism gave - nothing suggested that the performance was a "debut".

By Ilcapo (Ilcapo) on Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 12:17 am: Edit

an audience listening to a blues performance....was that one of the choices cause i was puzzled as to why it said audience and not viewer

By Chatterjoy87 (Chatterjoy87) on Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 01:10 am: Edit

what!? less than 1%? why is the curve so harsh...

By Crazylicious (Crazylicious) on Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 02:06 pm: Edit

Can someone tell me...

How does SAT II Literature compare to SAT I CR and AP English Langauge in terms of difficulty?

By Monoe (Monoe) on Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 03:28 pm: Edit

Harder than the former, easier than the latter - although these blanket superlatives don't describe it as well as one would like.

It is harder than the SAT I's Critical Reading in that the passages alternate between poetry and prose; in that the questions are more in-depth; in that there are more questions involving Is, IIs, and IIIs, always sure to trip students up by actually asking three questions rather than one; in that the passages are from many different writers, whereas the SAT I focuses on one genre only; in that it has more questions.

It is easier than AP English in that it is less ambiguous; its passages are more comprehensible; in that though it has more questions, they are easier by comparison; in that one can usually eliminate all but two answers, whereas AP affords one three answers with varying degrees of correctness.

Overall, I'd say the three tests are fairly unrelated. Don't judge one by the other - the time constraints, questions, and passages of each make them quite different.

By Crazylicious (Crazylicious) on Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 04:48 pm: Edit

Thankes Monoe!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page