OFFICIAL SAT II BIOLOGY DISCUSSION

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: June 2004 Archive: OFFICIAL SAT II BIOLOGY DISCUSSION
By Aznsnake0307 (Aznsnake0307) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 12:06 pm: Edit

What did you think about it?
Post any questions
Predict your score

By Pianoman (Pianoman) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 12:16 pm: Edit

Are we allowed to talk about it? What'd ya guys think, on a difficulty scale from 1 being the easiest to 10 being the hardest?

By Rsi03er (Rsi03er) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 12:18 pm: Edit

i didn't really like it... u think 6 wrong will stand any chance of an 800?

By Crypto86 (Crypto86) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 12:21 pm: Edit

If you didnt omit any, a small chance on M, probably a little better on E.

By Pianoman (Pianoman) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 12:37 pm: Edit

so can we discuss questions now?

By Rsi03er (Rsi03er) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 12:39 pm: Edit

the grasshopper question.. i wasn't sure.. the part where the legs were attached to... was section B referring entirely to the thorax? Cos section A looked like it included where the legs were attached...

By Maud (Maud) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 12:45 pm: Edit

I put B for where legs were attached, but A for the other two (reproduction and digestion, i think?)

but what about the one with the lung diseases....forgot the question but the choices were black lung, pneumonia, tuberculosis, something like that? i just put black lung but i had no clue...hope the curve is high!

By Rsi03er (Rsi03er) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:08 pm: Edit

i checked campbell 6th edition - excretion and reprodution are all found in A...

By Maud (Maud) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:11 pm: Edit

excretion...sry not digestion

also, does anyone know what chaparral or whatever is?
i remember thats the name for another biome like tundra or taiga or something but i forgot which one, or maybe im just confused

By Rsi03er (Rsi03er) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:13 pm: Edit

i checked it up online... it should be option E... hot dry, frequent fires or something like that... and no it's a separate biome on its own, if you look at campbell 6th ed. - it's somewhere in the northern most part of africa and around there...

By Rsi03er (Rsi03er) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:15 pm: Edit

how did u find the test on the whole? was it very close to the USA syllabus? Cos i'm Singaporean and lots of stuff isn't what we learnt, cos our focus on molecular bio is much, much larger..

By Mercury31 (Mercury31) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:40 pm: Edit

i thought it was harder than i expected it to be. =/

By Altf4 (Altf4) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:41 pm: Edit

HOLY CRAP, I FAILED

if i get 600, i'll be happy lol lol lol

i dunno why b/c i was scoring always in the 720+ range on practice tests

they had to put a damn grasshopper on the test

if i miss about 15, and of those 15, 2 were skipped questions, what's my score, like low 600??

crap i failed

By Altf4 (Altf4) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 02:00 pm: Edit

ANYONE know what the expected curve cutoff "raw score" for the 700 mark will be...anyone??

By Tamy02 (Tamy02) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 02:57 pm: Edit

4 the grasshoper question i think i ommited one of em..im nut sure..cant rembeer/.i ommited like 5 in total i think..the chaparal question...!! I did molecular...if i didnt omit the grasshope question i remeber i got 2 A's and a B..i put emphasymea...i dunno y..ahh..and like there was one question on moelcular towards the end botu wat conclusion can b drawn bout the virus..i put that viruses can lead to cancer cells...and ooh the question on the spindle fibres..i ommited..that was tough!!
lets get this discussion goinnn!!!:P common...wat other questions..asides from that i thoguht the test was alrite..i dunno..im cutrrently in IB Bio 1 and had to cover thigns myself!:P Cliff notes is wat i used!!
ppl talk!:P

By Hssoph (Hssoph) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 02:58 pm: Edit

Probably 60. The test was harder than the practice test in Real Ones, so the curve might even be lower.

By Tamy02 (Tamy02) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 03:04 pm: Edit

hopefully!!!:P wat kinda answers did ppl get..lets get this thread goin!!

By Best_Wr (Best_Wr) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 03:09 pm: Edit

Was it pneumonia?

By Pianoman (Pianoman) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 03:10 pm: Edit

I know for a fact that the answer to the lung question was emphysema (or however you spell that). Also, what did you guys put for the one asking for the correct picture of the cells at the end of meiosis? I put the one with individual chromosomes, not pairs, in each gamete, since DNA replication does not occur until S phase. Any others?

By Hssoph (Hssoph) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 03:11 pm: Edit

I ran out of time. Omit 8 questions (too bad, isn't it?) I hope to get a 700 (I'll be ecstatic with a 700). The grasshopper thing was totally suprising. The only thing we can hope for is that the curve is generous!!!

By Tamy02 (Tamy02) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 03:11 pm: Edit

An acute or chronic disease marked by inflammation of the lungs and caused by viruses, bacteria, or other microorganisms and sometimes by physical and chemical irritants.

thats from dictionary.com!

By Best_Wr (Best_Wr) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 03:12 pm: Edit

Pianoman, you're right. Each cell has one big and one small chromosome. Damn, it wasn't pneumonia

By Tamy02 (Tamy02) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 03:14 pm: Edit

yea i put the one with the pairs first then the last 2 were individual chromosomes..i wanst so sure bout that! wohoo i got the lung one rite..u knwo the liekquestions bout genetics at the start were sorta confusin..liek ETS set out 2 confuse us..cuse they started talkin botuy the generation b4 the F1! that confused me!

By Best_Wr (Best_Wr) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 03:16 pm: Edit

For ECOLOGY...

1.Evolutionary tree with shark and sea star. Was that phylum?
2.All of the following are characteristics of all living organisms except "cell respiration?" (cuz fermentation ISN't cell respiration.. I think)
3.One about tropical trees in arctic. Is that ONLY "continent was closer to the equator"? Or was it ALSO that and "previous episode of global warming?
4.In same temp range and etc., what'd determine if an area is deciduous or prairie? I put SOIL TYPE. OThers were temperature, latitude, etc.

It was little hard.

By Tamy02 (Tamy02) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 03:18 pm: Edit

Molecular question!! did ny1 do it..and wat did u get for the approximate number of genes?! i got 1000! ny1 else...?!?!?

By Bluebaron1616 (Bluebaron1616) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 03:22 pm: Edit

Don't u mean: two cells have the longer chromosome, the other two have the smaller one.

Because at the END of meiosis(meiosis two) u have 4 gametes, and since this is SEXUAL reproduction, and the original organism has only 2 chromosomes, u can only have one each in each gamete.

My quesitions:
Does most of the corn plant's photosynthesis occur in bundle sheath cells or mesophyll?
Is the nodal tissue in the right ventricle?

Overall the test was harder than expected, but not terribly hard. It was only slightly easier than the AP bio test.

By Pianoman (Pianoman) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 03:24 pm: Edit

Unfortunately, dictionary.com is not the best source for biology information. WebMd says this about emphysema: A deficiency of Alpha-1-Antitrypsin results in unbalanced (relatively unopposed) rapid breakdown of proteins (protease activity), especially in the supporting elastic structures of the lungs. This destruction over many years leads to emphysema and is accelerated by smoking.

By Tamy02 (Tamy02) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 03:26 pm: Edit

i put the nodal tissue was in the right atrium! ahh...and i put photosynthesis was in the mesophyll cells!
im startin 2 think i didnt do soo well!

By Mercury31 (Mercury31) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 03:26 pm: Edit

how generous do you think the curve will be for this test?

By Best_Wr (Best_Wr) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 03:29 pm: Edit

For the cell picture. were there two answers for mitochondria?

By Tamy02 (Tamy02) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 03:30 pm: Edit

i hope they'll b very generousss!!

By Tamy02 (Tamy02) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 03:34 pm: Edit

yea i got 2 answers 4 the mitochondria!!:P

By Adidasty (Adidasty) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 03:34 pm: Edit

nodal tissue is in the right atrium. i did well on this test. any questions, just ask me. yeah 100 was the answer for the gene mapping one.

By Tamy02 (Tamy02) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 03:36 pm: Edit

100 or 1000?!?!

By Aznsnake0307 (Aznsnake0307) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 03:37 pm: Edit

Wait, isn't the nodal tissue in the right atrium, cuz i remember the SA node and AV node are located in the right atrium and that was the pacemaker of the heart?

The grasshopper thing made my mind go nuts, but isn't the ovary and vaginia (reproductive organs) located in the thorax? This is according to my text (Campbells).

Most of Photosynthesis takes place in the Mesophyll, where most of the chloroplasts are located.

The curve is gona be generous cuz everyone thinks its hard, i think i got 740+

By Tamy02 (Tamy02) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 03:42 pm: Edit

yea thats wat i thought botu the reprodcutive organs 2!:P so i think i ommited that oine..cant remenber!!:P
im liek the only one blabberin on here!!:P
come on ppl!:P hehehehe

By Generalrak (Generalrak) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 03:45 pm: Edit

Bluebaron: As explained by Wikipedia, or any number of biology texts, Meiosis results in four gametes with one set of chromosomes (2n to n). This is accomplished by one stage of Meiosis, and one stage of a process (that's for all intents and purposes) the same as mitosis. Thus, each gamete has one full set of homologous chromosomes. An incomplete set would result in serious genetic disorders.

Photosynthesis predominantly occurs in the mesophyll. From Britannica if you wish.

The SA node is embedded in the right atrium.

Emphysema is the correct answer for that question, as disfunction of protease enzymes has been hypothesized to contribute to the damage caused by the disease.

Tamy: The number of base pairs was 1000. The number of genes and kilobases were about equal, and a kilobase consists of 1000 bases.

Best_Wr: Fermentation is a form of anaerobic respiration.

As for the mitotic spindle question, I believe the answer was that the chromosomes are acted upon by both sets of spindle fibers (or something along those lines, as that's what the experiment seemed to show).

What was the answer to the plant hormone question (general). I put Abscisic acid, but I think it might have been cytokinins.

BTW - What do you think 2 omits and 2 wrongs will come out to be?

By Tamy02 (Tamy02) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 03:50 pm: Edit

it was cytokinis..thats wat i put!:P abscisic inhibits plant growth..i think that'll prob like 770+!:P hopefully..i think i had 4 omits and 3 wrong!!:P hopefully that'll b above 750!

By Vartan (Vartan) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 03:51 pm: Edit

are microvilli used for locomotion? I put cillia and flagellum only.

By Aznsnake0307 (Aznsnake0307) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 03:52 pm: Edit

Microvilli are located in the small intestine :P

By Chrisk (Chrisk) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 03:53 pm: Edit

cytokinins was right

By Tamy02 (Tamy02) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 03:55 pm: Edit

yea i put all three, microvilli, cillia, and flagellum! nut sure actually..now that u brought it up...but it think it does!! dont ciliated cells have microvilli

By Clipperdude21 (Clipperdude21) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 03:55 pm: Edit

did anyone get like 4 D's in a row?

By Generalrak (Generalrak) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 03:56 pm: Edit

Vartan: According to Wikipedia, microvilli are used exclusively to increase the surface area of "absorptive and secretory epithelial cells."

Tamy: I sure hope so. :-)

By Vartan (Vartan) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 03:56 pm: Edit

What about that punnet square one witih the A1, A2, A3. I said 75% because I just took the perecent that A2 appeared in the genotyope. What did you guys put for that one?

By Clipperdude21 (Clipperdude21) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 03:56 pm: Edit

microvilli are for taking in nutrients from the small intestine i thought...

By Generalrak (Generalrak) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 03:57 pm: Edit

Clipperdude: In the M section? Yep - there seemed to be a great number of Ds, including four (or so) in a row.

By Aznsnake0307 (Aznsnake0307) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 03:57 pm: Edit

Definition from Campbells book:

Microvillus (microvilli)- one of many fine, fingerlike projections of the epithelial cells in the lumen of the small intestine that increase its surface area

By Clipperdude21 (Clipperdude21) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 03:58 pm: Edit

alright thanks... lol i was worried

By Aznsnake0307 (Aznsnake0307) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 03:58 pm: Edit

Yup, there were 4Ds in a row in the M section

By Tamy02 (Tamy02) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 03:59 pm: Edit

so wat the answer just flagellum and cilia....!! ahh..thats another one wrong..for the A1, A2... one.. i put 50% cuse i thoguht of em as codomiant! and i got 50% i think...oh dont take my wrd on it..mayeb i didnt...wat bout the O+ man...he cant ahve an AB child yea?!

By Generalrak (Generalrak) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 04:00 pm: Edit

75%. Since A2 expresses itself whenever present, and since it's present in 75% of crosses, it is expressed in 75% of the offspring. This is, of course, assuming there aren't any mutations or non-genetic inhibitory agents.

By Aznsnake0307 (Aznsnake0307) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 04:02 pm: Edit

nope cuz ii X AB can have an AB child

By Generalrak (Generalrak) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 04:02 pm: Edit

The answer is just flagella and cilia.

No, the O+ man can't have an AB+ child under normal circumstances.

By Tamy02 (Tamy02) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 04:05 pm: Edit

no they cant...try the test cross..
i i
a ia ia
b ib ib

cant have an AB child!! wat bout the question botu adenine being 30% of dna..wats guanine! iput 30%

By Generalrak (Generalrak) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 04:09 pm: Edit

Yep. If A is X, then G is X, as well.

Just FYI: It's theoretically possible for the man to have a type AB child. Either due to gamete mutation, or due to the rare Bombay Phenotype. However, for purposes of this exam, he cannot.

By Spright (Spright) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 04:11 pm: Edit

On the insect one, to what did A and B refer to? I'm starting to think I missed a lot...

And what about the endoskeleton vs. exoskeleton one...choices were muscle attachment, grows as the organism grows (basic gist of that choice), protection, and two more...

And the ADH gene in fruit flies...I think I put that alcohol would be more deadly...no reason why, really.

huh.
How many can one miss and still get above a 760?

By Tamy02 (Tamy02) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 04:15 pm: Edit

yea i put that the alcohol would kill em! and i cant remeber wat i put 4 the endo skeleton one..!! i think ii put support the body weight! ny1 else?!?!

By Generalrak (Generalrak) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 04:16 pm: Edit

Spright:

If I'm not mistaken, A referred to the abdomen, and B to the thorax.

The answer to the endo vs exoskeleton was that the endoskeleton grows as the organism grows, while the exoskeleton does not. The solution to that issue (growth) is molting.

As for Alcohol dehydrogenase, it's lack would be deadly. ADH "break[s] down alcohols which could otherwise be toxic".

By Spright (Spright) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 04:23 pm: Edit

oh lovely...
This makes me immensely happy...I got those...

one more:
the veins...and how you can help them:
lie down
contract your diaphragm
contract your skeletal muscles
one-way valves
voluntary contraction of the veins

I put the last one...you can't voluntarily contract them, right? Eh...

By Generalrak (Generalrak) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 04:28 pm: Edit

Voluntary contraction of the veins is the correct answer. AFAIK, they cannot be consciously contracted (although I wonder if squeezing the veins would be considered contracting them... hmmm...).

By Altf4 (Altf4) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 04:38 pm: Edit

u know on that picture of a heart, it's actually a mirror reflection right, because the right atrium was actually on the left side of the paper, i hope u know what i'm talking about...

yea, i think i'll be lucky to break 600 on that test, oh well, i tried

By Chatterjoy87 (Chatterjoy87) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 04:38 pm: Edit

there are no animals in the world able to voluntarity contract them? oops...how does the diaphragm help veins?

the question with the bag in the solution, was the answer just water or water and starch? i forgot what the 10% stood for...

what was the answer to the amniotic egg question? does it help yolk, maintain water, help the egg on terrestrial environment, maintain termperature, or allow the egg to hatch inside the mother?

it was hard...

By Skywalkersblade (Skywalkersblade) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 04:40 pm: Edit

as far as the corn/stomates question goes, the answer was chloroplasts in the bundle sheath cells. Corn is a c4 plant.

By Altf4 (Altf4) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 04:41 pm: Edit

yea, what about that diaphragm question, that was my choice that it DOESN'T help venous flow

for the egg question i put yolk

the bag in solution, i put water, that's probably wrong...

help out here, need clarification

i missed a good 20 questions on that test damn

By Altf4 (Altf4) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 04:45 pm: Edit

let's say 15 wrong, and 2 omits

what does that put the score at? upper 600's ?

By Spright (Spright) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 04:50 pm: Edit

for the amniotic egg one I put that it allowed animals to become terrestrial...the eggs of amphibians have yolk material too, I think (?).

"The Amniota, the sister taxon to the Amphibia, were liberated from dependence on water for reproduction by the amniotic egg. "

By Hertish (Hertish) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 04:53 pm: Edit

the answer to the amnionic egg is that it keeps the egg from drying out since it is not laid in the water.

also, about the bag of starch and glucose question, which moved? I put none moves because starch cannot move through the membrane and since there is equal 10% of glucose inside and outside of the bag, there would be no movement in glucose... EDIT: I think that's wrong though. What did you get? ugh.. I left 3 blank and about 11 wrong..

also, for the yeast question... I said the increase in alcohol would cause them to decrease in number... what did u guys get?

last of all, for the question that said "the organism has a chloroplast, nucleus, and a cell wall, which kingdoms would it be narrowed down too?" I put plants AND protist, which is wrong, because I thought that euglenas have cell walls, they dont. but they have chloroplasts tho...

By Generalrak (Generalrak) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 04:54 pm: Edit

Re: venous circulation. This page discusses, among other things, the role of the diaphragm.

The solution in the bag was starch and glucose. The solution in the beaker (or whatever) was glucose. No water was indicated in the diagram. I think the answer was glucose, since it was specifically mentioned that starch couldn't diffuse through the membrane, and there was no water indicated. Since the glucose levels were equal, couldn't the glucose at the edges of the membrane flow through it, due to physical tremors or forces?

For the egg question, I believe the yolk answer was correct. EDIT: Actually, yeah, the terrestrial answer's probably right.

Skywalkersblade: Damn, you're right. That's too bad. :(

By Altf4 (Altf4) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:03 pm: Edit

damnit i put plants and protists too, that was an easy question, omg, that puts my score down to like 18 wrong, 2 omits

the yeast question, alcohol would kill them, there wasn't an option that said "they would reduce in number", ye, same idea, that was easy, used elmination

for some reason i said water moved into the bag to equalize the concentration, since the bag had equal glucose but also had starch, why is that wrong??

do we get a copy of the test in 3 weeks??
so we can check over the ones we missed?
or just the score report

By Altf4 (Altf4) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:06 pm: Edit

for venous circulation, what is the answer then if it's not diaphragm?

kk got it, i didn't read a few posts up

By Lahlahlah (Lahlahlah) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:09 pm: Edit

i thought that protist question was worded differently

By Lahlahlah (Lahlahlah) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:09 pm: Edit

i thought that protist question was worded differently

By Altf4 (Altf4) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:11 pm: Edit

IT WAS?

u know in 3 weeks when i will find out that i got a FAT 200, do we get just a scoresheet, so we don't get the actual questions

that sucks, how am i gonna know what i did wrong then?

By Generalrak (Generalrak) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:14 pm: Edit

The test never specified that the glucose was dissolved in water (right?). How can you infer that it was not dissolved in another solvent, besides water?

For venous circulation, the answer is voluntary contraction. It can't be done (AFAIK). Or, rather, the rest of the answers are verified by that site or elsewhere.

By Altf4 (Altf4) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:14 pm: Edit

WHY WAS IT SOOOO DAMN HARD?

the test in real SAT's is AN UTTER JOKE to the difficulty of this test today

stupid grasshopper
stupid diffusion question
stupid egg question
stupid diaphragm question

AHHHHH!!!! I'M GOING INSANE!!!

i missed like HALF of that entire thing

By Altf4 (Altf4) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:16 pm: Edit

so the answer was glucose...

damn, watch me get a negative score (it's possible) on that test

By Hertish (Hertish) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:17 pm: Edit

I had that they use pheromone for finding mate in the moths... I think that's right

also, for the plant hormone thing, I but auxins... doesn't "inhibit" mean to stop, to prevent? they don't prevent plant phototropism?
or did I get the definition wrong? I feel so bad, I did so bad on this test.

By Generalrak (Generalrak) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:19 pm: Edit

Actually, the correct answer might very well be water. But strictly speaking, it should be glucose. (Strictly speaking, they should have specified the solvent. They didn't... right?)

By Altf4 (Altf4) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:19 pm: Edit

they don't prevent tropism, it is THE CAUSE of why a plant bends towards light (concentration of auxin on the shaded side)

it was betweeen giberellin and cytokinin, luckily i guessed cytokinin

don't worry, i did worse than everyone here, and i'll put my money down for that

By Tamy02 (Tamy02) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:19 pm: Edit

i put plants and portists 2!! isnt that the rite answer...ahh that mean i have liek 5 wrong nd 5omits..wat does that equate 2?!!?! 700?!!pls tell em its 700!! ahhh

By Hertish (Hertish) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:21 pm: Edit

it's only plant
protists do not have cell walls, but they have chloroplasts

By Altf4 (Altf4) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:21 pm: Edit

i know seriously, they expect us to do this without even specifying a solvent?

who cares, i got a 200, now i won't be able to sleep for 2 whole weeks

By Altf4 (Altf4) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:22 pm: Edit

hertish, u mean it's only plants

By Endtwist (Endtwist) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:23 pm: Edit

Sum up for this thread:
-----------------------

1. Grasshopper questions:
a. Legs attached to (B)[middle]
b. Reproduction in (A)[back end]
c. Excretion in (A)[back end]

2. Smoking question answer: Emphesyma

3. End of meiosis result was (A) (the big&small in each cell)

4. Chaparral: (E) Hot, dry, fires

5. Corn plant's photosynthesis occurs in bundle sheath cells

6. The SA node (pacemaker) is embedded in the right atrium.

7. The mitotic spindle question: the chromosomes are acted upon by both sets of spindle fibers

8. The veins...and how you can help them: (A - lying down) or (E - voluntary movement) (unsure at the moment)

9. The amniotic egg: [allowed animals to become terrestrial] or [for the yolk] (unsure)

10. The permiable bag question (w/the glucose & starch): Both glucose & water moved.(entropy)

11. The organism has a chloroplast, nucleus, and a cell wall, which kingdoms would it be narrowed down too? Answer: (Plant Only) -> may be Protist & Plant

By Generalrak (Generalrak) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:23 pm: Edit

Actually, some Auxin's can bring about phototropism

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auxin

As for pheromones, you are probably correct.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pheromone

By Altf4 (Altf4) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:23 pm: Edit

5 wrong and 5 omits? that would be equal to about 6 omits, rounding off

dude, i would be ECSTATIC if my raw score was only -6 and what 74/80?

isn't that like a 750 at the least?

By Tamy02 (Tamy02) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:24 pm: Edit

ahhhhhhhhhhh!!1 speakin of ssolvents..wasntbthere a question bout wat made water move uup a tree except..and the answer was waters solvent prperties..ny1 get that...dont protists have cell wall..i didnt study the kingdoms...ahh i shoulda ommitedd!!! i thoguth thsi test was alrite..tilll noww! i need 2 get at leats above a 700! ahhh

By Spright (Spright) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:24 pm: Edit

don't green algae have cellulose cell walls? they're plantlike protists...

By Hertish (Hertish) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:24 pm: Edit

I am pretty sure that for the amnionic egg, it allows egg to not dry out on land

By Hertish (Hertish) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:25 pm: Edit

spright, plantlike protists are called plantlike because they have chloroplasts, no cell wall.

By Altf4 (Altf4) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:28 pm: Edit

thank you endtwist, for summing it up, now here's what i put:

MY ANSWERS, NOT THE CORRECT ONES, THE ONES THAT ENDTWIST WROTE ARE THE REAL ANSWERS

1. Grasshopper questions:
a. Legs attached to (B) stupid grasshopper, i put A
b. Reproduction in (A)
c. Excretion in (A)

2. Smoking question answer: Emphesyma lucky guess here

3. End of meiosis result was (A) (the big&small in each cell) that's what i got

4. Chaparral: (E) Hot, dry, fires (wasn't there another part to the hot dry fires)

5. Corn plant's photosynthesis occurs in bundle sheath cells huh?

6. The SA node (pacemaker) is embedded in the right atrium. i got that

7. The mitotic spindle question: the chromosomes are PULLED upon by both sets of spindle fibers

8. The veins...and how you can help them: (diaphragm)darn
9. The amniotic egg: or [for the yolk] (darn)

10. The permiable bag question (w/the glucose & startch): Both glucose & water moved.

11. The organism has a chloroplast, nucleus, and a cell wall, which kingdoms would it be narrowed down too? Answer: protist and plant (darn)

now u know why i got a 200 on that test...

By Generalrak (Generalrak) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:29 pm: Edit

Altf4: It doesn't work that way. The score would actually be:

Correct Answers (70) - Wrong Answers x .25 (5 x .25) = 68.75

Yeah, it was water's solvency. The other choices facilitated water movement, but solvency isn't related.

By Tamy02 (Tamy02) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:29 pm: Edit

the bag of glucose anbd all..didnt thinl..also put water and glucose move out! AHH..this is goin from bad 2 wrse!

By Endtwist (Endtwist) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:30 pm: Edit

Altf4, just edit out the "Sum up for this thread" part, I don't want people getting confused with your answers and my summary.

By Tamy02 (Tamy02) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:31 pm: Edit

rite now im looking at bout 65/80! in the barrons book isnt 68 liek 720?! ahhhh..!! this suxxx!!! i should really stop complainin!

By Altf4 (Altf4) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:31 pm: Edit

oh my bad general, ur right, i didn't take into account correctly the first half of that equation

still i would die for the 68.75, or rounded up 69/80

By Generalrak (Generalrak) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:32 pm: Edit

I do think there'll be a friendly curve for this particular test. It seems like people think it was abnormally difficult.

By Spright (Spright) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:33 pm: Edit

"Green algae
The most clearly plant-like algae...
Their cell walls are made up of cellulose, the same material that makes up the cell walls in larger, multicellular plants.

Whatever their shape, all diatoms have shell-like, brittle cell walls made out of silica (glass) and pectin."

so you can't exclude the protists, just because they don't all have cell walls.

but so it goes, I guess. I've missed more than a several. Hm.

By Altf4 (Altf4) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:35 pm: Edit

what about the crazy ppl who brought the curve way up there, and study for 12 hours a day nonstop biology??

By Tamy02 (Tamy02) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:35 pm: Edit

Yeah, thats what i thought, cuse I remeber my bio teacher sayin that some algae have cell walls! only ETS know which choice was the final correct one!

By Altf4 (Altf4) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:36 pm: Edit

U MISSED MORE THAN A SEVERAL

wow..i missed almost the whole thing

i hate having to wait for 2 WHOLE WEEKS

By Endtwist (Endtwist) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:36 pm: Edit

yes, you can exclude protists because it doesn't follow the question exactly.

By Altf4 (Altf4) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:38 pm: Edit

i feel...like my life is over

anyone else share this feeling?

By Tamy02 (Tamy02) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:39 pm: Edit

I know..i dunno how I am gonna wait these 2 weeks..after the May SAt that was very stressful! AHh...now this onee! im really curious 2 knwo how i did! FInally tho im done with school 4 this yr!!:P Summerz started officially!! WOHOooOOOoO!

By Bluebaron1616 (Bluebaron1616) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:39 pm: Edit

"

Funguslike Protists

Funguslike protists were the cause of the potato famine. They destroyed the entire crop of 1845-1846, killing 1/3 of Ireland's population. Animals also get diseases caused by funguslike protists. A fuzzy white growth that sometimes appears on the fin and mouth of aquarium fish is one such disease. Most are heterotrophs and have cell walls, although a few lack a cell wall. Many have flagella. The best known funguslike protist is the slime mold.
"

So I guess protists have cell walls dude

By Generalrak (Generalrak) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:40 pm: Edit

A lot of sites (including Wikipedia) designate some Algae as having cell walls. This is not in dispute, so it's likely ETS will score the choice listing both plants and protists as correct.

Altf4: You overestimate the general intelligence of the SAT II bio taking population.

By Altf4 (Altf4) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:42 pm: Edit

mebbe just a little, but i really don't want to get lower than 600

if i miss 20 questions, is that lower than 600?

i'm just psyched out by all the ppl at the prep schools around the bay area.

i was doing so good on the barrons too!! like straight 770-780! believe it or not, and now this test..

this was my first SAT b/c i'm a sophomore, that's why i'm so worried cause it goes on ur permanent record and all my friends get a higher score all that stuff u know?

By Generalrak (Generalrak) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:44 pm: Edit

"yes, you can exclude protists because it doesn't follow the question exactly." - Endtwist.

Why do you say that? If I recall, the question was very general (i.e. what could it be, not what it most likely is), and the evidence is so well established that grading plants + protists incorrect would be a breach of ethics.

By Clipperdude21 (Clipperdude21) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:44 pm: Edit

sorry if this was already agreed upon but a few hours ago i read tht the legs were attached question was (A).. but now is it (B) Thanks a lot!

By Altf4 (Altf4) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:47 pm: Edit

ooooooooo, heated argument about the protist question...fun

i'm gonna defend both protists and plants although there are reasons why both of them could be right, i think ETS should cancel and just give everyone an 800

hahaha, not possible though

By Generalrak (Generalrak) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:48 pm: Edit

Hmm... if you're an average biology student, you'll get a 600 E or about 650 M. Since you seem to be an above average student, and since ETS will probably grade this on a favorable curve, I think you'll probably get better than a 600. The percentile scores make for interesting viewing:

http://www.collegeboard.com/prod_downloads/about/news_info/cbsenior/yr2003/pdf/table_12.pdf

By Escaria (Escaria) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:49 pm: Edit

11. The organism has a chloroplast, nucleus, and a cell wall, which kingdoms would it be narrowed down too? Answer: Plant Only

I disagree with this..
Protists have cell-walls.

Quote Sparknotes:
[Green algae of phylum Chlorophyta have the same photo-synthetic pigments and the same cell wall structure as plants. In fact, they are believed to be the ancestors of modern plants.]

http://www.sparknotes.com/testprep/books/sat2/biology/chapter8section3.rhtml

Google search of 'kingdom protista cell wall' :

Quote:
[III. Rhodophyta - commonly called red alga,
H. Cell walls of cellulose or other polysaccharides, plus gelatinous pectic materials, e.g. agar and carrageenan (sulfated polymers of galactose)]

[IV. Oomycota - Commonly called water molds.
D. Cellulose cell walls]

[V. Bacillariophyta - diatoms,
H. Cell walls, called frustules, are polymerized, opaline silica (glass like)]

[VI. Phaeophyta - commonly called brown algae and/or kelps,
I. Cell walls are a matrix of cellulose and alginic acids (polysaccharides)]

[VII. Chlorophyta - commonly called green algae,
H. Cell walls are composed of cellulose and some species also contain a matrix of hemicellulose and pectic materials, just like true plants]

http://arnica.csustan.edu/boty1050/Protista/protista.htm

etc. etc.

The answer should be 'Plant and Protist'

By Generalrak (Generalrak) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:50 pm: Edit

An insect's legs are attached to B, the Thorax.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insect

By Tamy02 (Tamy02) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:51 pm: Edit

loool!! we should go into like an AIM chatroom and talk bout this..much easier thn doin this on CC!!:P its soo annoyin how u preview ur post..then pot it up! ahhh

By Endtwist (Endtwist) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:52 pm: Edit

Escaria - I already edited it to Plant & Protist.

Forgot to add this:
In same temp range and etc., what'd determine if an area is deciduous or prairie?
Answer: Wetness of the area

By Altf4 (Altf4) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:53 pm: Edit

that chart u linked me too, that was interesting, except i have no way of predicting my percentile

bio M (the one i took) cutoffs seem to be lower percentile: score wise

By Altf4 (Altf4) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:54 pm: Edit

I LIKE THE CHAT ROOM IDEA, CAN SOMEONE MAKE ONE OR GIVE SN'S OR DO SOMETHING, I HAVE SO MUCH I NEED CLARIFICATION

By Tamy02 (Tamy02) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:55 pm: Edit

yea....i put wetness 2...it was between that and sunlight...but then sunlight only really refers 2 tropical rainforest!! wohoo..another correct answer,.i hope i didnt omit that..i dotn think i did!!
btw no1 answered..with the 30%adenine question..u get 30%guanine??!

By Altf4 (Altf4) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:55 pm: Edit

why is it the wetness of the area

isn't it a biome question
what about latitude

aww crap, there goes another point

By Escaria (Escaria) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:56 pm: Edit

you use msn? look at my profile. ;)

By Tamy02 (Tamy02) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:56 pm: Edit

does every1 have AIM?!?! i can make an AIM one..hold on let me try noww!:P

By Endtwist (Endtwist) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:56 pm: Edit

Ok, AIM/AOL chatroom setup.

Room name: BioSAT2 (its a private room, so you need to invite yourself)

By Generalrak (Generalrak) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:56 pm: Edit

You can (to some extent) predict your percentile by extrapolating your Bio grades compared to your classmates.

i.e.: If you get 3.5s and 60-70% of people get 3.0s, you're probably around the 60-70th percentile.

That isn't necessarily true, but I think it's a good indicator.

By Altf4 (Altf4) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:56 pm: Edit

if 30% adenine

then 30% thymine

then cytosine + guanine would make up 40% of the DNA

20% to each cytosine guanine

20%!!!!!!someone check this

By Escaria (Escaria) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:58 pm: Edit

Tamy - the question was taht the organism had 30% guanine..

thus since guanine pairs with cytosine so cytosine would have 30%

you have 40% left over for adenine and thymine..

it was 20% thymine

By Clipperdude21 (Clipperdude21) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:58 pm: Edit

ok the 30% adenine one... this is how i did it... if theres 30% adenine tht means theres 30% thymine (base pairing) so thts 60% tht leaves 40% for cytosine and guanine. that would make cytosine 20%

By Altf4 (Altf4) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 06:02 pm: Edit

EVERYONE GO TO BIOSAT2 CHATROOM

name is biosat2

By Tamy02 (Tamy02) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 06:05 pm: Edit

can some1 send me an invite!!! ahh..i cant get there..or how do u get there!?!??! give me steps..im lost..ahhh!

By Altf4 (Altf4) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 06:08 pm: Edit

SN?

By Endtwist (Endtwist) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 06:08 pm: Edit

Whats your screenname?

By Tamy02 (Tamy02) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 06:09 pm: Edit

never mind..im there!

By Best_Wr (Best_Wr) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 06:19 pm: Edit

For vein question:
"What doesn't help blood flow in vein?"
I think it's lying down/reclining because vein has to be moved by skeletal movement. lying down wouldn't move any of the venuous blood.

By Altf4 (Altf4) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 11:34 pm: Edit

i'm seriously considering cancelling

do colleges see all of ur SAT 2 scores when u decide to send them in?

i'm psyched out b/c i might have put the answers in the wrong spot and shifted all the answers up one or down one...(like a frameshift mutation except on the answer sheet hah) i know i sound like an idiot, but still.

if that did happen, it wouldn't be pretty. if that does happen, would they still score it?

and i can only cancel by mail? (i've already left the test center)

By Happeepanda (Happeepanda) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 02:02 am: Edit

(I am new to college confidential!)
personally, i think the colleges won;t care. they know we're not perfect. or at least they should know! I don;t think you should cancel your scores...

I felt kinda bad after that test...I am in IB Biology 1, but I still felt like I didn't know enough to evenpretend to be able to do that test. A lot of the answers I seem to have had correct (according to all the people who posted) but i'm afraid i've guessed way too many wrong to get above a 700. I think I guessed on about 15, and 6 or 7 were left blank!!

I want to take Bio again in November, but I already planned to take Spanish w/listening, Chemistry, and US History! And in October and December I am taking SAT 1 again...

WAAAAAH!!!

By Hssoph (Hssoph) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 02:17 am: Edit

Best_Wr (Best_Wr)
Veins still transport blood while you're lying down (like when you're sleeping). If the blood in the vein doesn't move when you sleep, you know what happen, right???

By Hssoph (Hssoph) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 02:19 am: Edit

And besides, there's no way you can "make" the vein transport blood, so option E (or whatever that was -- voluntarily contract the veins) is definitely the right choice.

By Hssoph (Hssoph) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 12:22 pm: Edit

What do you guys think about the centrioles - mitochondria - Golgi apparatus questions? It asked for the common organelles between plants and animals - I thought both have the three organelles mentioned above, but that wasn't one of the option.

By Rsi03er (Rsi03er) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 12:41 pm: Edit

plant cells don't have centrioles, but they have mitochondria and GA=p

By Hssoph (Hssoph) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 01:30 pm: Edit

thank! that helps (cuz i chose the right one)

By Chatterjoy87 (Chatterjoy87) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 01:36 pm: Edit

if an egg has amniotic fluid, which is basically any egg like chicken's eggs, wouldn't it qualify as an amniotic egg? or does it have to be a soft egg like a frog egg?

By Hertish (Hertish) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 01:49 pm: Edit

about the question that asked where the most photosynthesis occur in the leaf, I said mesophyll, and in the textbook, it specifically says "most of the photosynthesis takes place here."

but some people said different stuff... which is right??

By Clipperdude21 (Clipperdude21) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 02:27 pm: Edit

wasnt the question where are the Calvin Cycle enzymes stored or something?

By Unluckycharms (Unluckycharms) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 02:39 pm: Edit

Corn is a c4 plant - in c4 plants, the Calvin Cycle occurs in the bundle sheath cells.

By Zsiberian (Zsiberian) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 03:00 pm: Edit

i took the sat 2 today... i got a question about the spleen..........................WHEN HAVE ANY OF YOU LEARNT IN AP OR HONROS OR WHATEVER ABOUT A SPLEEN,.....i decided to guess rather then leave it blank.. what does a spleen do?

By Freak (Freak) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 04:35 pm: Edit

um... maybe your bio honors or ap classes are somewhat lacking?

a spleen is for immunity. theres red pulp, white pulp, etc. where blood is cleansed, white blood cells and lymphocytes do whatever they do. i wasn't paying much attention when we covered it.

By Altf4 (Altf4) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 07:00 pm: Edit

would i be able to cancel if i could prove to them that i misaligned my answers? is there anyway to proof or will the extremely low score stand?

this is really bugging me, i can't get my mind off it

By Jf215 (Jf215) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 09:44 pm: Edit

Yes, I got about 4 D's in a row too. Glad I'm not the only one.

By Altf4 (Altf4) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 09:57 pm: Edit

i don't remember about the D's
darn what section?
i'm gonna get a bad score...sigh

By Skywalkersblade (Skywalkersblade) on Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 08:45 pm: Edit

ok let me clarify the glucose questions. It specified M (molarity). Molarity is always as defined as being in water. Therefore water would DEFINITELY disolve both ways (too balance sucrose). Now as far as glucose is concerned, it too would diffuse becuase, as water moves in, its molarity changes. Glucose would diffuse in even that.

answer is both glucose and water. We did this lab in class.

By Bluebaron1616 (Bluebaron1616) on Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 09:14 pm: Edit

well, thank god for Ap BIo, if I had taken this class right after freshman bio, I would have been lucky to break 650, which isn't bad, but I sorta need a high 700s so I don't have to worry about taking a physics SAT II or something.

By Nike1800 (Nike1800) on Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 09:41 pm: Edit

What about the question with the seeds and fruit? I would check but I'm so out of Bio. right now. It was something like:

What purpose does a fruit serve to a plant?
a.)
b.)An aid for seed dispersal
c.)To provide nutrients for the seed
d.)
e.)

I picked (b) for my answer, because seeds already have the nutrients required within, while animals may eat the fruits, helping to aid seed dispersal.

Any verifications?

By Nike1800 (Nike1800) on Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 09:41 pm: Edit

What about the question with the seeds and fruit? I would check but I'm so out of Bio. right now. It was something like:

What purpose does a fruit serve to a plant?
a.)
b.)An aid for seed dispersal
c.)To provide nutrients for the seed
d.)
e.)

I picked (b) for my answer, because seeds already have the nutrients required within, while animals may eat the fruits, helping to in seed dispersal.

Any verifications?

By Unluckycharms (Unluckycharms) on Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 10:09 pm: Edit

The correct answer is B, aid in seed dispersal.

By Bluebaron1616 (Bluebaron1616) on Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 03:45 pm: Edit

yeah, nothing else made logical sense if you think about it.

flowers bloom before the fruit to attract insects, and the fruit is just one overszied ovary.

By Tamy02 (Tamy02) on Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 05:01 pm: Edit

wow just a couple more days then the results come out...howz every1 summer been so far?!?!? ahhh

By Altf4 (Altf4) on Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 05:04 pm: Edit

i'm still stressed so my summer has not been at its full potential...yet

i did get good results on my semester grade report though!!

By Viraj1303 (Viraj1303) on Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 07:05 pm: Edit

When you say a couple...you mean a week, right? :p

By Tamy02 (Tamy02) on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 05:41 am: Edit

well...therez 6 days left!!:P yea my semester grades were awesome 2...as well as gr8 final gradezz!!:P wohooo

By Adidasty (Adidasty) on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 10:55 pm: Edit

1000 was the gene mapping answer right? thats what i put

By Tamy02 (Tamy02) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 06:09 am: Edit

yes 1000 was the answer...wow...only 5dayz left..ahhh

By Altf4 (Altf4) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 11:50 am: Edit

i don't understand why it's 1000, it was no. 97 i believe. yes, that was one of my two omits, but will someone explain please?

By Viraj1303 (Viraj1303) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 06:57 pm: Edit

See the question was something like this:

There are 1800 KILObases in some species DNA. There are areound 1750 genes. Aprox. how many bases in a gene?

First thing you do, multiple 1800 by 1000 because of the KILObases. So it has 1800000 bases all together. Round 1750 to 1800. 1800000/1800=1000

By Altf4 (Altf4) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 07:35 pm: Edit

wow, simple math, why did i omit? oh why oh why

thank you^

By Tamy02 (Tamy02) on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 02:40 am: Edit

Altf4...u know wat u r gonna do fine..stop stressin!!:P WOw...the anxiety is killin me..i need 2 knwo now how i did..im off 4 my summer break...travellinoutta the states...and im goin with bookss..ahh..they weigh a ton..cuse im thinkin i mite need 2 study 4 bio etc again..ahh!:P this absouletly suxx! nyways good luck guyz...wat liek 4 days left..ahhh

By Viraj1303 (Viraj1303) on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 04:34 pm: Edit

Lol, you're going on a trip with Bio books? That's a definite no-no. :P

By Clipperdude21 (Clipperdude21) on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 04:49 pm: Edit

Does anyone think the curve for this test will be bigger than the one in the 22 REAL book?

By Adidasty (Adidasty) on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 05:04 pm: Edit

im not really sure. i hope so. i know i did really well, but still the nicer the curve, the happier we all are right?

By Viraj1303 (Viraj1303) on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 06:03 pm: Edit

Are there chances the curve will be LESS? Because if it is, I'm screwed. :p

By Altf4 (Altf4) on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 06:37 pm: Edit

no, the curve will be nice, it will be a very generous curve, they curve it based on percentiles.

By Hellyea80 (Hellyea80) on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 08:23 pm: Edit

Does anyone know when the REAL SAT II: Biology book by College Board is comming out?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page