OFFICIAL SAT II WRITING DISCUSSION

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: June 2004 Archive: OFFICIAL SAT II WRITING DISCUSSION
By Mysticaura (Mysticaura) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 11:57 am: Edit

it's almost 12 now...anyone remember any questions from the grammar section? I thought that was really hard

I thought the essay was pretty easy though

By Cognitio (Cognitio) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 12:00 pm: Edit

I thought it was fairly facile, though I did encounter one or two I wasn't sure about. The essay prompt was easy - very general - any number of examples could have supported it well.

By Lildude_Ravi (Lildude_Ravi) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 12:01 pm: Edit

ya......... MCs sucked......
i m hoping for a really nice curve.......

essay was easy.........

By Curtisny (Curtisny) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 12:09 pm: Edit

essay was to aupport this quote:
"peoples lives are dictated by the decisions they do or do not make" or something to that effect. Pretty easy, only one example was required. I used Macbeth.

The MC's were tougher than the ones i trained with. I was a little nervous but at least i finished...

By Bhaiyu87 (Bhaiyu87) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 12:12 pm: Edit

i had a lot of the same letters for 3 in a row. Did u guys have it too. i had 3 of them i think that i had 3 C's or D's

By Curtisny (Curtisny) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 12:14 pm: Edit

yea, that was odd...I actually had a string of 4 in a row and eventually i changed it. I did notice that though and it lead to a lot of second guessing...

By Dliebers (Dliebers) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 12:15 pm: Edit

yo, important Question. For the essay, I negated that statement, and said it was invalid... Is that ok or should i go cancel scores..

By Cognitio (Cognitio) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 12:18 pm: Edit

"People's lives are affected by the choices they make--or fail to make."

I used Bertolt Brecht's play about Galileo, history and literature together, oh yeah :)

By Mooses41 (Mooses41) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 12:39 pm: Edit

Anyone else remember the first mc question? Was it c or d? C was something like "powerful" when it should have been most powerful, and for d there was no period at the end of the sentence, was that just my test?

By Mysticaura (Mysticaura) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 12:39 pm: Edit

hmm I got Closed doors lead us to creativity.
and i wrote about black civil rights

By Ishouldflee (Ishouldflee) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 12:44 pm: Edit

agree or disagree: Intensions are as important as results... something like that.
i disagreed.

By Rsi03er (Rsi03er) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 12:45 pm: Edit

did u get like 4 D's in a row or something?

By Golfer87 (Golfer87) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 12:45 pm: Edit

did the prompt about peoples lives being dictated by their actions specifically say one example? i used 2 examples, do you think this will be a problem?

By Mysticaura (Mysticaura) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 12:50 pm: Edit

what was the answer for the one identifying error that had "often ignoring something somethings intensions and even words"

By Phi2402 (Phi2402) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 12:50 pm: Edit

Mooses41:

Yes, "powerful" was incorrect - it should have been "most powerful"

I also noticed that D had no period, I almost picked that at first... lol

Anyone remember anything other questions?

By Maud (Maud) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 12:53 pm: Edit

there was a question that started with "in similarity to" and i wasn't sure if it was supposed to be changed to "similar to"
what did you guys put...i think i put E but i think it is supposed to be changed...

By Mysticaura (Mysticaura) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 12:53 pm: Edit

oh and what about the question where it was sentence corrections --- something like modern flyers see less than old flyers did

something like that gosh its so hard to remember these unlike math questions

By Npatrick6 (Npatrick6) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 12:54 pm: Edit

Did any one else have like 6 C's in a row in the earlier part of the multiple choice (around question 20 I think)?

By Cognitio (Cognitio) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 12:54 pm: Edit

I said "In similarity to" was wrong. I'm not sure why, but generally when stuff just sounds wrong to me it ends up actually being wrong *shrugs*. Who knows.

By Mysticaura (Mysticaura) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 12:54 pm: Edit

i remember one more...something about the kitchen being unsanitary, and much of the equipment were obselete and the owners have vowewd to rectify this

i put "this" as the error

By Phi2402 (Phi2402) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 12:55 pm: Edit

Maud,

I also put E. for that question, but I wasn't completely sure :(

By Cognitio (Cognitio) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 12:55 pm: Edit

For the flyers question I left it as it was. I didn't like it, but the other options were worse (something I hate about this test, often all the options suck and I just wish I could rewrite the sentence entirely!).

By Ragnarok (Ragnarok) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 12:57 pm: Edit

I thought the MC was really easy. I did get a lot of the same letters in a row sometimes, and I think I had one place where there was a lot of B's occasionally separated by another letter. Did anyone else have this?

By Monoe (Monoe) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 12:57 pm: Edit

No, I left 'in similarity to' - I think it is awkward wording but grammatically sound.

Does 'neither' take a singular or plural form? I can't remember which is right: Neither of us know. OR Neither of us knows.

I do agree that the grammar section was harder than usual. Perhaps that means a better curve.

My essay was Curtisny's. I used Frost's The Road Not Taken (the classic 'choice' example) and Gatsby. Gatsby, my friend, you work for everything.

By Impatheticiknow (Impatheticiknow) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 12:57 pm: Edit

i remember something "egyptians" being wrong? Anyone else put this?

By Impatheticiknow (Impatheticiknow) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 12:58 pm: Edit

By Impatheticiknow (Impatheticiknow) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 12:58 pm: Edit

By Mysticaura (Mysticaura) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 12:58 pm: Edit

i corrected in similarity to, sounded wordy

i had about 5 e's on the first usage part, 1 or 2 e's on the last usage, and i had alot of A's in the sentence error (6 i think)

By Dbu3k (Dbu3k) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 12:59 pm: Edit

yeah egyptians was wrong b/c it was comparing art to egyptians, nto egyptian art.

By Maud (Maud) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 12:59 pm: Edit

I LOVE GATSBY!
i used it too
and Macbeth
and Napoleon, and I tried to squeeze in a little personal one but I don't think it really worked...

By Mysticaura (Mysticaura) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:00 pm: Edit

aww damn i put e for that one

By Phi2402 (Phi2402) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:00 pm: Edit

Mysticaura,

I put "this" as incorrect also because it is an ambiguous pronoun reference - it could refer to either the kitchen or equipment.

By Mysticaura (Mysticaura) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:01 pm: Edit

neither is singular in response to your question monoe

By Mysticaura (Mysticaura) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:01 pm: Edit

awesome phi thanks :)

By Cognitio (Cognitio) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:02 pm: Edit

Hmm, I would think that's its better to use one solid example that you expand on and speak exhausively about than try and stick in many different examples and only touch on all of them briefly? Then again, its College Board, so who the hell knows :)

By Mysticaura (Mysticaura) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:02 pm: Edit

i didn't know there were so many prompts, i actually thought it was the same for everyone so its like a common measuring stick

i guess the readers want some diversity though

By Rsi03er (Rsi03er) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:05 pm: Edit

oh for the intentions and even words of the poets, i put that "even" is wrong. Did anyone put this too?

By Phi2402 (Phi2402) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:06 pm: Edit

6 A's in sentence correction? oh man...let's hope for a generous curve :)

By Foreigngirl (Foreigngirl) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:06 pm: Edit

hey....how many questions could you have omitted (if everything else worked pretty good and the essay was ok) to still get a score of 700?

By Mysticaura (Mysticaura) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:14 pm: Edit

i thought even was ok, it was for emphasis? on practice tests evenw as usually ok

By Bhaiyu87 (Bhaiyu87) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:15 pm: Edit

did anyone have the firs few as C's ?

By Phi2402 (Phi2402) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:17 pm: Edit

Anyone remember putting "among which" for the second to last one?

By Haruhara (Haruhara) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:18 pm: Edit

what about this one:

"susan succeeded where other artists failed because she aimed highly and worked very hard and long"

i put "hard and long"

By Phi2402 (Phi2402) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:19 pm: Edit

I think the first two or three were C?

By Mysticaura (Mysticaura) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:21 pm: Edit

highly is wrong i thought, should be she aimed high

By Jer728 (Jer728) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:22 pm: Edit

I also used two examples by accident. I doubt they would take off for it, but then again, they just might. It seems like there were a lot of those "this" answers, where the subject is too far away to be connected.

By Bhaiyu87 (Bhaiyu87) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:22 pm: Edit

yea i tihnk so too but not sure
i was kinda shaky about the test since there were a couple more incidences where i had 3d's or 3 a's in a row.

By Phi2402 (Phi2402) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:22 pm: Edit

"highly" ---> "high" ?

By Lildude_Ravi (Lildude_Ravi) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:23 pm: Edit

haruhara

i think it should be she aimed high.......

By Willywonka (Willywonka) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:25 pm: Edit

Haruhara, I struggled with that one as well. I ended up putting "highly," even though now I regret doing so. I just thought that I've heard people say "think highly" and such, but never "aim highly." Oh well.

The essay about choices you make making your life what it is was pretty easy. I negated it and used the examples of Irish immigrants in America and Rosencrantz and Guildenstern in Hamlet and "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern" are dead. I wouldn't have had a conclusion if I hadn't finished the multiple choice with ten minutes to spare!

By Willywonka (Willywonka) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:25 pm: Edit

Haruhara, I struggled with that one as well. I ended up putting "highly," even though now I regret doing so. I just thought that I've heard people say "think highly" and such, but never "aim highly." Oh well.

The essay about choices you make making your life what it is was pretty easy. I negated it and used the examples of Irish immigrants in America and Rosencrantz and Guildenstern in Hamlet and "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern" are dead. I wouldn't have had a conclusion if I hadn't finished the multiple choice with ten minutes to spare!

By Bhaiyu87 (Bhaiyu87) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:26 pm: Edit

wait u coulnt use 2 examples in the essay?

By Jer728 (Jer728) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:27 pm: Edit

I put "among which," Phi. Damnit, I think you're right about that aimed highly one Mysticaura.

By Monoe (Monoe) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:28 pm: Edit

I marked 'highly' as wrong, too. I believe I left in 'among which' - more awkward wording, but grammatically sound. 'Neither' is singular? That's one wrong for me.

By Willywonka (Willywonka) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:30 pm: Edit

Wait, wait, wait. In all of the practice books the essay prompts asked for one example, but the "perfect" essay they offered used two examples.

If they did just want one, though, I'll be able to see both sides of the coin. On their side, they should take off because I didn't follow directions. On my side, they shouldn't because the second example strengthened my essay.

By Mysticaura (Mysticaura) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:32 pm: Edit

i thought the 2nd to alst one i put "were" because it was something like the monuments were blah blah, but it should have been are in the present tense???

By Laurenh87 (Laurenh87) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:33 pm: Edit

All of the examples I have seen have graded essays with 2 examples high, even if they ask for one. I sure hope that's the case b/c I did two examples. (I'm almost positive that it's okay to do that)

By Laurenh87 (Laurenh87) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:33 pm: Edit

All of the examples I have seen have graded essays with 2 examples high, even if they ask for one. I sure hope that's the case b/c I did two examples. (I'm almost positive that it's okay to do that)

By Lildude_Ravi (Lildude_Ravi) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:33 pm: Edit

one about olympic games

was "taking place" wrong?

By Leejwwc (Leejwwc) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:33 pm: Edit

SOMEONE PLZ ANSWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK I had the essay about "intentions being more impt. than results"

Is it off topic if I wrote about how "Nineteen Eighty-Four" Winston had the intentions of "thoughtcrime" and rebellious action and how even though in the end he was eventually subdued, his intentions are more impt. b/c they set the precedent for us to take action in our own society to correct injustices.

By Bhaiyu87 (Bhaiyu87) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:34 pm: Edit

did the directions say we had to use only 1 example?

By Maud (Maud) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:34 pm: Edit

hey in the essay...if you mix up the names of characters by accident ( i was really rushed, plus i wasn't thinking clearly) do you think they'll take off alot? I think I put Macduff instead of Macbeth or the other way around somewhere and it probably makes no sense but I didnt have time to read it over and correct the mistake

am I just being paranoid or will they actually mark me off?

thanks

By Phi2402 (Phi2402) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:36 pm: Edit

Lildude,

I marked "taking place" as wrong - I thought it should have been "took place"

By Ilcapo (Ilcapo) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:38 pm: Edit

maybe someone will remember a question with the name "camus" hah cause i thought i got it wrong

By Foreigngirl (Foreigngirl) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:38 pm: Edit

hey since no one answered so far i will aks again: How many questions can you have ommitted and what score for your essay will you need (with the highest number of questions to ommit) to still get a total score of 700?????? PLZ ANYBODY???????

By Cognitio (Cognitio) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:39 pm: Edit

Honestly, I think it has more to do with how you integrated the example(s) into the essay, how effective they were at backing up your point, and whether or not you followed the "SAT II essay structure" or not than what exactly the examples were or how many you used. I highly doubt that 3 mediocre examples would be better than 1 really good one.

"High" is correct, because we are talking about height (figurative height, yes, but still height) as opposed to "intensity," which is what "highly" refers to. From Webster's:

\High\, adv. In a high manner; in a high place; to a great altitude; to a great degree; largely; in a superior manner; eminently; powerfully. ``And reasoned high.`` --Milton. ``I can not reach so high.'' --Shak.

\High"ly\, adv. In a high manner, or to a high degree; very much; as, highly esteemed.

By Lildude_Ravi (Lildude_Ravi) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:40 pm: Edit

any word choice errors? i didnt notice any........

By Haruhara (Haruhara) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:41 pm: Edit

well i dunno... "highly" is an adverb that modifies "to aim". can you associate an adjective with a verb?

i'm not sure, but i mean:

work green
work hard
work difficult
work long
work large
work big
work yellow
work giant

but if we changed to

work diligently
work adversely
work (adverb here)

it works out.

By Haruhara (Haruhara) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:43 pm: Edit

but can you:

work good
work hard
work long

??

By Cognitio (Cognitio) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:44 pm: Edit

They're both adverbs, they just mean different things. It's like "bad" and "badly". If you did poorly on a test, you did "bad" on it. If you think poorly of someone, you think "badly" of them.

By Cognitio (Cognitio) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:45 pm: Edit

They're both adverbs, they just mean different things. It's like "bad" and "badly". If you did poorly on a test, you did "bad" on it. If you think poorly of someone, you think "badly" of them.

By Mysticaura (Mysticaura) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:46 pm: Edit

what was the one with averse in it, i remember putting down E

By Phi2402 (Phi2402) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:49 pm: Edit

Mysticaura,

E. sounds really familiar actually..

By Cognitio (Cognitio) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:51 pm: Edit

It was the simplest one... something like "was averse to." There were multiple long and convoluted answers, and a couple involving "adverse," which is a different, though confusisngly similar word. I think it may have been D, but E is possible too.

By Phi2402 (Phi2402) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:53 pm: Edit

yup, I remember putting the shortest/simplest answer as well.

...same case for another one, although I can't remember the question.

By Mysticaura (Mysticaura) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 02:01 pm: Edit

anyone remember if the "often ignoring" usage question was no error?

By Poop (Poop) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 02:02 pm: Edit

i put work highly as wrong

the olympics question "taking place" was wrong because the sentence is supposed to be in past tense

neither takes singular "is", not are

the question with the scientist and the chemical that keeps us from gettin disease i put D

By Aceofhearts54 (Aceofhearts54) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 02:06 pm: Edit

You guys thought up some good topics for essays... I got the choices one and wrote about how my everyday choices have made me a better runner and how this has impacted my life. Is that bad? They said you could use personal experience and I'm terrible with broad topics under time constraints...

By Cognitio (Cognitio) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 02:10 pm: Edit

Because the SAT II essay topics are always about very broad themes, a great way to prepare for it is just to read a really good book (classics are good, Austen is always a good choice, etc.) and learn it really, really well. Then, once you get the prompt, its not too difficult to find SOME way in which to tie it to your subject. Alternatively, if you really want to be super cool, just read a lot and you'll be able to draw a literary connection really quickly.

By Phi2402 (Phi2402) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 02:12 pm: Edit

Does anyone have any idea:

How many MC can we get wrong to get above a 700 (with a 10 essay)? a 600?

By Foreigngirl (Foreigngirl) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 02:14 pm: Edit

I would like to know that too!!! And how many questions can you ommit to still get about a 700 with a 6, 8 or 10 essay??????

By Cognitio (Cognitio) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 02:16 pm: Edit

My estimate is that you can miss 8-10 points for a 700, 18-20 for a 600 (emphasis on the points though, since omitting a question won't get you any "points" but getting one wrong will cause you to lose a quarter, so obviously if you omit 10 you may get a 700, but if you get 10 wrong, don't expect it...)

By Mychocopie (Mychocopie) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 02:37 pm: Edit

I said that one about work hard and long was wrong because I thought hard was not correct grammar. I thought it was diligently or something. I thought highly modified aim. Like how did you aim? I aimed highly. But honestly I have no clue. I did bad on the MC iot was really hard. I left 3 blank and probably got at least a gazillion wrong. And the essay sucked for me. I hope I get above 600...

By Anijen21 (Anijen21) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 02:41 pm: Edit

Haha, for my essay I couldn't think of an example for like five minutes, so I just talked about the first thing that came to my mind: Requiem for a Dream.

It's such a non-high school movie, but it's all about choices...

Then I talked about philosophers and how choice is the most rudimentary belief and blah blah blah...

The essay itself was good, but I had run-on sentences that lasted like 6 lines.

Oh well.

By Willywonka (Willywonka) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 02:43 pm: Edit

I just thought of a multiple choice to ask about. I think it was the one with Camus in it, like Ilcapo asked. It said Camus wrote...that something..is. I don't remember what it said exactly.

I've been trained to always write about literature in the present, so I immediately marked "wrote" as incorrect. When I thought about it, though, I justified my choice because the discussion about what Camus wrote was in the present tense. Any thoughts about this one?

By Themabrklyn (Themabrklyn) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 02:46 pm: Edit

I said the statement for the essay was wrong because not everyone has the freedom to exercise choice, like the poor in third world nations, and the historically oppressed. I used the examples of MNCs and Yellow-dog contracts.

By Phi2402 (Phi2402) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 02:58 pm: Edit

I remember a question:

In sentence correction, something about an author who prefers to write rather than eating or sleeping...I remember putting "rather eat or sleep" or something similiar...it was the simplest/shortest answer, I think E.

Does this ring a bell?

By Lildude_Ravi (Lildude_Ravi) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 03:08 pm: Edit

ya because of parallelism e was right

By Phi2402 (Phi2402) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 03:09 pm: Edit

thanks lildude

By Enarang (Enarang) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 03:25 pm: Edit

Would this have been a good essay

I wrote about my cousin who lived in Florida. He made a choice to leave his house because his mother would always yell at him for doing something or the other wrong. This sent him into a long depression. He made the choice to leave the house and it seemed to him that he made the right move. However, he ended up getting heavily involved in partying, drinking and trouble with the police. To this day that choice has altered his life as he has lost contact with the family and gone down pretty fast. Then to wrap it up I said something like I can say that my cousin's life is the result of the choice he made to leave his house.

By Siavash8p (Siavash8p) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 03:25 pm: Edit

I did really well on the essay. I wrote about Budhism(multiple lives) and also about Richard Bach's THE ONE(novel).
But MC was so hard. I was getting raw scores of 45-48 on Barron's but today I skipped 12 questions. Is there a chance of getting a 700 for me? I will be happy with a 700 b/c I`m a foreigner!!!

By Enarang (Enarang) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 03:27 pm: Edit

Saivash do u think mine was good although I only used one example, it was 100% true and maybe a little personal but I think it worked.

In a practice book I saw that a kid used one really good example and got a 12

By Student8712 (Student8712) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 03:43 pm: Edit

For the essay I wrote about MLK and Nader as those who committed themselves to a cause which has defined their lives. Then I wrote about Hamlet as someone who's life was defined by indecisiveness.

By Siavash8p (Siavash8p) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 03:44 pm: Edit

I realy think yours is good. Because most of people will write about HOW A CHOICE WILL MAKE THE FUTURE, but you wrote about the other side.
But they don`t really care abut what is your story, they will look at how you told the story in standard English.
If you think you don`t have any writing mistakes, that is a fine example.

By Enarang (Enarang) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 03:47 pm: Edit

thanks I was worried because the topic I wrote on was a little different then the norm.

I don't think I had any mistakes except for the usual ones that everyone comitts as we are not perfect.

By Siavash8p (Siavash8p) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 03:47 pm: Edit

How is mine, can I get a 700 with 12 skipped questions?

By Mysticaura (Mysticaura) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 03:59 pm: Edit

sorry man no 700 w/ 12 skilled bc theres possiblility of some errors too you know? but depends on ur essay but im saying don't expect it sorry man

By Siavash8p (Siavash8p) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 04:03 pm: Edit

It`s allright. I got a 450 on my first practice ever a long time ago, but I worked my butt off. English is not my native language, so it is kinda justified that I don`t get a good score.
Honestly, the MC was so much harder than the practices that I took. I did well on Barron`s, but.................

By Super6 (Super6) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 04:08 pm: Edit

according to REAL SAT IIs...if you get a 12 essay, you can potentially skip 10 questions and still receive a 790, skip 20 get a 700. Pretty good

By Enarang (Enarang) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 04:10 pm: Edit

I don't think I got a 12 I think probably more like a 9 or 10. I left out I think one or two multiple choice questions

By Vanessa1378 (Vanessa1378) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 04:23 pm: Edit

Is "aimed highly" a correct phrase? It was on one of the MC. I counted it as an error.

By Enarang (Enarang) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 04:31 pm: Edit

it was it should be "high" not highly. I also remember a few others. I also remember the few faulty comparisons. One was comapring the art to the Egyptians that was incorrect. Another was about something being compared to a brain. Also there were a few its that were just hanging. I also came across the neither nor. The error was are as it should have been is. The subject was singular. Did anybody get the same answers for 3 straight questions. That happened to me and I changed my answers a little

By Jaug1 (Jaug1) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 04:50 pm: Edit

Ok. I see that you guys who did the essay used 1 or 2 examples. I used 3...American Revolution, Ralph Ellison's Invisible Man and the 1960's Counter cultures for the essay on people's lives. Is that ok?

For the MC, I have been getting a lot of the answers you guys have been getting...including the 3 D's and 3 C's near the end of the 1st section. I got lots of E's in the Repairing Sentences section.

By Spright (Spright) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 04:54 pm: Edit

is the repairing sentences at the very end?
for questions 53-60 (approximately) I got quite a few e's.

By Scion (Scion) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:01 pm: Edit

wait, for the essay, u only had to choose ONE example???

By Enarang (Enarang) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:06 pm: Edit

you could do as many as you wanted. Usually between one and three.

By Curtisny (Curtisny) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:20 pm: Edit

I'm not sure if it's ok to use more than one example...If you used three and didn't really develop any of them you could be in trouble...

By Modestmouse (Modestmouse) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:23 pm: Edit

Do you guys remember getting like 5 d's( or were they b's?) in a row?

By Silmon77 (Silmon77) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:25 pm: Edit

On the one about the magistrate having the responsibility of administering justice, I put "fulfilled it" as the answer. Did anyone else get that?

By Themabrklyn (Themabrklyn) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:26 pm: Edit

Yes Silmon that is correct (I believe) because we are not sure what the "it" refers to in the sentence.

By Curtisny (Curtisny) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:28 pm: Edit

yep..."fulfilled it" is ambiguous

By Escaria (Escaria) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:32 pm: Edit

silmon - yep i put htat as well..

does anyone remember the one where it was talking bout the depression??

i totally froze on that one.. i really sounded wrong but i didnt' know were ugh..

By Mysticaura (Mysticaura) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:48 pm: Edit

noone else got the "closed doors lead us to creativity" essay prompt hmmm i feel kinda special

By Phi2402 (Phi2402) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:49 pm: Edit

yes, "fulfilled it" is incorrect.

Modestmouse:
You're getting me worried, because I don't remember 5 of any letter in a row lol.

By Tlaktan (Tlaktan) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:51 pm: Edit

*prays for a generous curve*

By Scion (Scion) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:53 pm: Edit

for the depression one, i put "because of"

By Tlaktan (Tlaktan) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:56 pm: Edit

The essay topic.. I didn't write about all those topics.. I wrote about
(*) John Kerry v. Bush's Military Service
(*) The typical high school student
(*) Human health

Something about people live by the decisions they make.. or lack thereof..

By Esotericstorm (Esotericstorm) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 01:07 am: Edit

For those of you with the "closed doors" essay topic, what did you all write about?

Is it bad if my examples were really random and didn't really relate to one another that well?

By Enarang (Enarang) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 01:19 am: Edit

This particular test was quite unusual as there were the same answer choices for three or more consecutive questions. I don't think I got the administerting justice one because I was under the implication that it was applied. Oh well any other answers or questions that people remember. I can tell you that there were a few questions where there was one distinctly shorter answer choice and it was the correct answer choice. Anybody remember the boy and his cherry wood desk. There was one answer choice where the two answers differed by one word and what was the last one about the boy appreciating his desk and I believe the answer choice had a but to start it. Any comments or similar answers?

By Whightknight (Whightknight) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 01:22 am: Edit

For one of my essay topics I talked about how a student chose not to prepare for the SAT so thus he got a bad score and got denied by many colleges and had no future. Hope my fabrications worked.

By Enarang (Enarang) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 01:28 am: Edit

Whightknight do you think my essay was good. (That wasn't the actual essay but that is the topic that I choce to write on). I used one example, but I don't know how it will be looked upon. What do you think?

By Happeepanda (Happeepanda) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 02:16 am: Edit

For the essay, I got the "people's lives are dictated by the choices the make-or fail to make" and I had 6 examples. First, making choices: rosa parks, lamarck, and jackson pollock. Then, failing to make choices; me (personal, overweight), US failing to choose gun control, and my friend failing to take honor classes....I dunno, that was one hell of a wacky essay on my part....

By Irock1ce (Irock1ce) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 03:55 am: Edit

I had the essay topic with someones actions and choices determining their life. I wrote my essay pretty much trying to debunk that. I first wrote about Oedipus and how fate will sometimes determine everything. THen i talked about how you are born into a place and thus you really dont have much choice in life since your early life will likely predict your later life.. and i also put one of my own experiences in there. My essay was exactly the ammount of space they gave me... although I could have used a bit more space.

By Ecnerwalc (Ecnerwalc) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 10:18 am: Edit

Would getting a 10 on the essay and about 15 wrong on MC's (conservative guess) still give me at least 700?

By Phi2402 (Phi2402) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 10:51 am: Edit

Depends on the curve, but I sure hope so...

By Enarang (Enarang) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 11:23 am: Edit

anymore multiple choice answers?

By Npatrick6 (Npatrick6) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 11:34 am: Edit

For the choices essay, I wrote about how high school is a critical period in one's life and one's future is determined by the choices they make.

I talked about personal choices (partying, doing drugs) and academic choices (studying hard, getting good grades and test scores, etc.) or failing to make such choices, and the implications for each in terms of going to college and building your life.

It was very grammatically sound and had a strong thesis, but I know it's best not to use personal examples if at all possible (but I was having trouble thinking).

Do you think I have a chance at a 10-12 essay?

By Jer728 (Jer728) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 11:39 am: Edit

Whigtnight, me too. But mine was more hypothetical.

By Calidan (Calidan) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 12:28 pm: Edit

So... for my essay, I had the prompt about how the choices you make shape your life, or somewhere along those lines. I wrote about Alice Paul and Lucy Burns (suffragists), and also about Huck Finn. My intro and the 2 supporting paragraphs were all clear, well organized, and (I like to think) insightful. However, the proctor then announced that we had one minute left, so my conclusion (besides from being in the most atrocious handwriting possible) pretty much just restated my introduction, however in fewer words and in confusing and repetitive diction. How do you think this botched conclusion will affect my essay grade? Thanks!

By Mehere (Mehere) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 01:36 pm: Edit

this essay topic is really really broad...
for my example,
1) thomas hardy's mayor of casterbridge, where Henchard's choices shaped his life
2) ww2, hitler's choice shaped himself and germany's future
3) bin ladin, and saddam hussein's choices of attacting trade center and not complying with US order resulted in their changed life style. one has to hide, the other captured.

you think these examples are okay?

By Kewlkat8 (Kewlkat8) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 02:25 pm: Edit

hey i used WW2/hitler formy example too!!

By Mehere (Mehere) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 02:27 pm: Edit

but u think my last example would be off topic and might get some of the markers angry? cuz i talekd about war in iraq..

By Scion (Scion) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 02:31 pm: Edit

hey did anyone get 4 E's for the first identifying sentence errors, and 2 for the last identifying sentence errors?

By Themabrklyn (Themabrklyn) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 02:41 pm: Edit

Mehere: Well, Saddam didn't attack the World Trade Center--it's factually incorrect. I think that third point is pushing it. And what did you talk about for the Hitler point? I mean, obviously the choices he made changed Germany, but I think you need to delve into more specifics.

By Mehere (Mehere) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 02:48 pm: Edit

i didnt really say saddam attacked it. i said he choose to plan and attack it. for hitler, i talked bout how he chooses to ignore treaty of versailles, go innto poland and demilitarized zone and etc.
but for my conclu, i ran out of space and had only two lines left. so it was a concise one. u think that would be okay?

By Themabrklyn (Themabrklyn) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 02:51 pm: Edit

Mehere: He didn't choose to plan and attack it. He had nothing to do with it. For Hitler--I don't see how that really applies. How did the choices he made affect his life? You haven't made that clear to me.

By Mehere (Mehere) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 02:55 pm: Edit

i think my point on bin ladin was along the lines of :" his decision of planning to attack the world trade center altered his life and resulted in his hiding from the americans. etc. something like that.

Themabrklyn - i dont think i said that bin ladin actually attacked the towers, i remember saying that his decision to plan and to attack it. you think this example is off topic or pushing it? For hitler, he commited suicide in the end - which in a way did change his life.

By Thereishope (Thereishope) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 03:06 pm: Edit

well. it is sure that bin laden is involved in the 911. how much will be dedcuted if some of the facts is arguable and iffy?

By Mehere (Mehere) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 03:24 pm: Edit

what do you guys think of the last example where i used saddam and bin laden? Is that like a total failure?

By Satchamp (Satchamp) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 03:29 pm: Edit

omg.i ran out of time with like 10 question to go.......and i ran out of time on my esay too...
i mentioned 3 examples in the thesis.but could support only 2 and the time was called....
what do u think is the msot i can get on my essay..no 4th paragraph no conclusion

By Mehere (Mehere) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 03:29 pm: Edit

••••. Themabrklyn sorry. i didnt say saddam attacked trade center. i meant laden. i said saddam refused to comply with some of the usa's orders of weapon inspection..

By Aim78 (Aim78) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 04:39 pm: Edit

I was so rushed for time, I didn't get to finish the test. It was the first time that's ever happened to me. Hint to future Writing test takers: Don't take too long outlining the essay! Plus I'm pretty sure the proctor shaved off 2 minutes from the essay time, and another 2 minutes from the MC time. Thankfully, I think I wrote a pretty good essay, so hopefully that will make up for the MC. The thing that sucks is I find the MC very easy when I have time. The time limits on the Writing test suck.

By Enarang (Enarang) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 05:00 pm: Edit

yeah I thought the multiple choice was kind of iffy. I can tell you there was a neither nor error on there. A faulty comparison and a few other misused verbs and double negatives.

By Ilcapo (Ilcapo) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 07:11 pm: Edit

i wrote about malcolm x choosing to reject the Nation of Islam and instead becoming more fundamentally muslim (leading to his death)

it was fun, i got a 12

By Hertish (Hertish) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 04:41 pm: Edit

OH

By Redbarn (Redbarn) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 05:20 pm: Edit

There was a question in the boy and his desk reading section about what word(s) should go in front of a sentence they gave.

The sentence was something like, "My bookstack threatened to tower them (two other objects he mentioned)."

Does anyone remember what word(s) should have gone in front? Was it "However" or was it "Wedged between them"?

By Curtisny (Curtisny) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 05:48 pm: Edit

redbarn- i remember the question but i cant remember the other answers. I KNOW it wasn't however though...

By Enarang (Enarang) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 06:08 pm: Edit

yes I belief it was however, it was going to topple over

By Student8712 (Student8712) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 06:19 pm: Edit

Redbarn: I believe it was "however"

By Sirhcv (Sirhcv) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 06:23 pm: Edit

hmmm my essay question just told me to agree or disagree with "Censorship is necassary" (just that). Seemed pretty simple, I used brave new world as an example of a world goverment that based on censorship, and the use of censorship in the U.S. to protect greater freedoms..

By Ilcapo (Ilcapo) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 06:46 pm: Edit

wedged between them

By Phi2402 (Phi2402) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 07:27 pm: Edit

I put wedged between them.

By Redbarn (Redbarn) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 08:07 pm: Edit

The other choices didn't make sense. It was definitely either "however" or "wedged between them".

The "however" seemed to be too strong of a contradiction for the sentence. It was talking about how there were two items in the corner and then another one was going to topple them.

"However" would have worked, but it seemed a little too strong. I put "wedged between them," but not confidently.

Also, if you are answering questions, put what score you're going for so we know who to trust for answers etc.

Going for 800 writing. Got 720 verbal if that validates anything for anyone.

By Aim78 (Aim78) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 08:11 pm: Edit

Just thought of a great example. Huck Finn made 2 big choices in the book - Not turning Jim in, and apologizing to Jim after playing the joke on him. That would have been a beautiful paragraph. Oh well.

By Ilcapo (Ilcapo) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 10:28 pm: Edit

im going for 800, and got an 800v if that validates anything

therefore, all my answers are correct bwahhahah

By Mehere (Mehere) on Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 06:45 pm: Edit

i only had 1 e from 51 - 60. and i think it was 52 or 53 with the one where: was ( choice b) ignoring (choice c)

anyone else?

i had i think 3 es from 1 - 20

By Phi2402 (Phi2402) on Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 07:43 pm: Edit

Yes, I had choice E for 52 or 53 (think it was 53 actually) too. I also had E for #60 though.

By Mehere (Mehere) on Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 09:11 pm: Edit

Phi2402, what was q 60? i rem i actually found an error for the rest of em.

By Redbarn (Redbarn) on Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 03:34 pm: Edit

I didn't find an error in the last question, #60.

By Mahajan2005 (Mahajan2005) on Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 07:02 pm: Edit

What about this weird question about the effects of WWII being magnified due to the Great Depression. It was a grammar question, and it was so awkwardly phrased, i did not know what PART of it was wrong!

Any ideas guyz?

By Scion (Scion) on Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 07:11 pm: Edit

redbarn, i think #60 had an error cuz it said, "SO something."

By Redbarn (Redbarn) on Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 07:51 pm: Edit

Scion, I don't remember the question, but I do remember that I chose E, no error.

Mahajan, I remember that question. It was terribly worded, possibly grounds to question ETS after score reports are released. The part that was "wrong" was either C or D (I don't remember which), but it had to do with the verb of the sentence.

By Mehere (Mehere) on Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 08:43 pm: Edit

o yeah. i remember,.., i put so as an error.. for num 60. because thats not standard. standard whould be very .... not so....

By Scion (Scion) on Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 12:34 am: Edit

yeah thanks mehere

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page