OFFICIAL SAT II United States History Discussion Thread

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: June 2004 Archive: OFFICIAL SAT II United States History Discussion Thread
By Netmet (Netmet) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 11:06 am: Edit

hey everyone- I don't think we can discuss questions until 12, so everyone post what you know at noon!

By Auburnwareagle (Auburnwareagle) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 12:00 pm: Edit

Too many questions about civil rights and africana mericans

By Netmet (Netmet) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 12:06 pm: Edit

Anyone know the answer to the following questions:
Political Cartoon-Children writing on board- US child draws cartoon with tv----was the answer that this showed that Americans studied less or that they had more advanced technology? I chose the former
-Women American Termperance Union and other late ninetennth century movements represent...some degree of moral convincing of women or something like that?
-Spanish in early civilization did all of the following except----I put look for markets for manufactured goods
-Okay- who said the "arrogrant" quote on Vietnam"
-NW Ordiance did all of the following except: choices: free land, promoted education....any one of those?
-New Deal did the following: was the answer something with closed shop or was it the answer with minimum wage or something totalyl different?
-Worcester v Georgia was followed by---was the answer trail of tears?
-and War of 1812 reason---was it the first choice with Indians and British or other choice with SW alliance and CAnada----Thanks a lot

By Patrizi0 (Patrizi0) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 12:10 pm: Edit

Eh, it was alright but I left a ton blank (18).
I'm not really recalling the toughies, I ran out of time before I could fully check on everything. Plus I had decided not to really read about the 1970s+ because I heard how it didn't really go there... Anyone remember anything?

By Auburnwareagle (Auburnwareagle) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 12:34 pm: Edit

-1.abigail adams and john adams quotes
-2.charts on slave prices and cotton prices
-3.some question where i answered The Jungle and Meat inspection act
-4.T. Roosevelt and what he advocated...i put wildlife or something
-5.JFK, Nixon, McCarthy all had what in common?
6. the separate but equal quote was reversed by the Brown vs. Board or by the civil rights act of 1963
ummmmm
7.The Honeymooners, Ordinary something and some other stuff was representative of what era 50s 60s 70s so on
8. Halfway Covenant question?? I forget the answer and the context
9. womens rights advocater of the antebellum period would most like disagree with the methods of.....some people...Lucy Stone, S.B. Anthony, and some men
10. Women were leats likely to work outside of the home doing what? i put making cigars
11. The poster about the navy and the women..it was an except question...I put recruiting women for the navy

I'll remember more

By Doerame (Doerame) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 12:35 pm: Edit

americans study less
moral convincing (E)
markets
Fulbright
free land
i put closed shop (wagner act) but this could've been a different era
trail of tears
i put manufacturing for the War of 1812

By Doerame (Doerame) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 12:36 pm: Edit

that was in response to netmet's post... answers are in the same order as the questions

By Doerame (Doerame) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 12:40 pm: Edit

auburnwareagle

-slave prices increased but the price of cotton
-i put the Jungle and meat inspection act too
-i put wildlife conservation
-JFK, Nixon and McCarthy... i put that they were all anticommunists after WWII
-Brown v. Board of Ed
- 1950s
-i put religious zeal of Puritans was decreasing... caused the Halfway Covenant
- women will not get to be physicians
-recruiting women for the navy was not a purpose

By Netmet (Netmet) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 12:41 pm: Edit

JFK Nixon McCarthy---all anticommunists, women less likely to be physicians, womens rights-susan b anthony, sep but equal-brown v board

By Babybird87 (Babybird87) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 12:44 pm: Edit

i don't think it was fulbright, i put hubert humphrey...wasn't he the guy who ran against nixon??

there were some WEIRD questions on there...like who was the case for libel in the colonial era? And who would disagree with a feminist in the late 1800s??

By Netmet (Netmet) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 12:46 pm: Edit

libel was zenger....and the SAT 2 and AP love to test on hudson river school...it was on this, the may sat 2 and the ap exam numerous times

By Doerame (Doerame) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 12:47 pm: Edit

humphrey was a pro-war Democrat... he was LBJ's VP ... def not against the war

John Peter Zenger had the famous libel case...

By Babybird87 (Babybird87) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 12:49 pm: Edit

netmet, the answer to the new deal question (there were two)....one was collective bargaining and the other was starting a jobs unemployment thing for youth

john peter zenger was the answer to the libel question...i got the disagrees with feminist question wrong, i put benjamin rush but that's not it

By Doerame (Doerame) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 12:50 pm: Edit

two answers to the new deal question babybird? please elaborate...

By Babybird87 (Babybird87) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 12:51 pm: Edit

they had that stupid "remember the ladies" quote on the AP and on the June II this year

What was that thing at the end...the one where there was a long quote on women's morality and they asked what they would agree with. and who said it....it was like Q 87 and 88.

By Babybird87 (Babybird87) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 12:52 pm: Edit

oh...um, they had one New Deal question on what it did for workers...that was collective bargaining.

then they asked which of the following programs did it set up, and the answer was youth employment.

By Ilcapo (Ilcapo) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 12:53 pm: Edit

why was the answer susan b. anthony?

By Ilcapo (Ilcapo) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 12:54 pm: Edit

nader = national healthcare

and the answer to the 1812 question was NOT the south-west alliance - because they didnt want slavery in canada, they just wanted pieces of canada

By Babybird87 (Babybird87) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 12:54 pm: Edit

ilcapo-- kyle is that you? lol that would be hilarious if it was.

it wasn't susan b anthony. at least i don't think it was.

By Doerame (Doerame) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 12:55 pm: Edit

i put that the "cult of domesticity" woman would've agreed w/ the quote for questions 87-88

By Ilcapo (Ilcapo) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 12:57 pm: Edit

yes its me!

who are you?

By Babybird87 (Babybird87) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 12:58 pm: Edit

no, cult of domesticity was the belief that women should stay in the home. that quote was about women being granted more power.

By Glory (Glory) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:02 pm: Edit

So...if it wasn't Susan B. Anthony...who was it..Brigham Young?

By Laurenh87 (Laurenh87) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:02 pm: Edit

Anyone know a typical curve for this test? How many can you get wrong and still geta 750+ ?

By Pinacolada (Pinacolada) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:04 pm: Edit

1920s immigration restrictions: against eastern/southern europeans or asians?

By Ilcapo (Ilcapo) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:05 pm: Edit

spanish invaders were not members of the nobility - correct?

By Glory (Glory) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:05 pm: Edit

Conioz: eastern/southern.

By Mrbesch (Mrbesch) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:05 pm: Edit

Well, in my Real SAT II book you could get 8 wrong and not omit any and still get an 800.

I got a 730 in the practice with 17 wrong.

By Mrbesch (Mrbesch) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:05 pm: Edit

Well, in my Real SAT II book you could get 8 wrong and not omit any and still get an 800.

I got a 730 in the practice with 17 wrong.

By Glory (Glory) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:06 pm: Edit

Ilcapo: that's what i put...but i wasn't sure.

By Mrbesch (Mrbesch) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:07 pm: Edit

Yeah, were the conquistadors members of the nobility? I put that they weren't. I think Pizarro was educated, but none of them were nobles.

Also, didn't the spanish want the conquest of Europe (answer for one of the questions)

By Adjlad (Adjlad) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:07 pm: Edit

Glory--> Brigham Young on eof the pioneers for morminism

By Mrbesch (Mrbesch) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:08 pm: Edit

Immigration one was eastern and southern. The quotas restricted them primarily. Asians were excluded from the quotas for a time.

By Laurenh87 (Laurenh87) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:08 pm: Edit

Thanks. That makes me feel a hella lot better!

By Babybird87 (Babybird87) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:08 pm: Edit

in the 1920's, it was immigration restriction against Mexico.

By Masterchris (Masterchris) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:11 pm: Edit

were there many questions on reagan and later topics?

By Doerame (Doerame) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:11 pm: Edit

the Spanish were not looking to establish markets for their manufactured goods... and most of the people who moved to the Americas from Spain were Nobles... remember the Peninsulares (Spanish nobility)

By Babybird87 (Babybird87) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:11 pm: Edit

i got the spanish conquerors thing wrong...i put pizarro...whatever. i don't see how that could be US history. or the enlightenment question either.

what was the answer to the disagrees with feminists...the only one we didn't cover is Lucy Stone. is that it?

By Mrbesch (Mrbesch) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:12 pm: Edit

National Origins Immigration Act stopped southern and eastern europeans. Asians were excluded. They used some system so that if a bunch of 1 nationality had beeen coming before they got cut down significantly.

That law was official in 1929.

By Laurenh87 (Laurenh87) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:13 pm: Edit

What about the cartoon with the TV? Was that definitely that US kids don't study as much?

The Northwest ordinance one- I put free land (anyone else?)

What about the one with names of books and then the choices of 1920, 30, 40 etc. I put 1950 but that was a guess.

Nadar is definitely healthcare?

By Babybird87 (Babybird87) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:13 pm: Edit

no it's not her, i just looked. so it's not Stone, it's not Fuller, it's not Anthony, it's not Rush, and it's not Young...who the hell is it? =) It has to be Young, I guess.

By Impatheticiknow (Impatheticiknow) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:13 pm: Edit

i remember putting the jungle as an example of how muckraking affects laws

By Mrbesch (Mrbesch) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:15 pm: Edit

Nader isn't healthcare. He is known primarily for making a ruckus about the Chevy Corvair and how unsafe it was. He crusaded for consumer rights before his presidential campaigns.

Northwest ordinance is public ed. Public ed didnt start till the 1800s with Horace Mann.

I also put 1950.

Cartoon and TV was that US kids don't study much.

By Babybird87 (Babybird87) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:16 pm: Edit

oh you're right, the restrictions were s/e europe. I put nader as nuclear reform...just because the green party...

as a matter of ethics, is it really bad that I took the test in a AP US history room that was literally covered with timelines and information?

By Adjlad (Adjlad) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:17 pm: Edit

Northwest Ordinance wasn't publci edu

it stated that a piece of the land from each piece of territory would be reserved for education or somethjing like that

By Mrbesch (Mrbesch) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:18 pm: Edit

Babybird, you suck! Lol. I was in my precal math room, and I was wondering a similar thing because lots of math things were on the walls (though I didn't take a math SAT II today)

And yes, it was wrong that you took it in there, but hey, shiznit happens.

By Doerame (Doerame) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:19 pm: Edit

nader has spent years researching/writing about consumer goods

i put free land too... and the honeymooners was part of the 50s

By Babybird87 (Babybird87) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:20 pm: Edit

oh i have another question...what was the thing that the puritans did? it wasn't that early question, the one about the strict moral code...it was a different question on them. I put E, i'm not sure what that was.

and what was a way that the colonial cities were not alike (an except question)

By Student8712 (Student8712) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:22 pm: Edit

Puritans banished dissenters such as Hutchinson and Williams, right? (that was E)

Colonial cities didn't have interconnecting rivers.

By Mrbesch (Mrbesch) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:22 pm: Edit

Adjlad, you're right. I forgot that.

By Doerame (Doerame) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:24 pm: Edit

what was the answer to the question about the Halfway Covenant... possible answer choices...
D) The puritans lacked religious zeal
E) Many anglicans moved to the Americas

By Babybird87 (Babybird87) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:24 pm: Edit

The Religious Toleration Act? What was that?

By Babybird87 (Babybird87) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:27 pm: Edit

the answer is D

By Doerame (Doerame) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:27 pm: Edit

it was so that Catholics wouldn't get persecuted by Protestants in Maryland... something along the lines of preventing prosecution/ maintaining religious freedom for christians

By Mrbesch (Mrbesch) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:29 pm: Edit

I think that was in Maryland. I'm pretty sure Lord Balitmore did that. It was support for Catholics, I think.

By Mrbesch (Mrbesch) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:29 pm: Edit

I think that was in Maryland. I'm pretty sure Lord Balitmore did that. It was support for Catholics, I think.

By Bandcampgeek (Bandcampgeek) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:30 pm: Edit

the puritans sent out dissenters...or something like that. i think it was choice E.

i know that the halfway covenant was during the great awakening and dealt with baptism or something...i really think it was the anglicans moving to americas one

and the religious toleration act was the catholics/protestants in maryland answer.

-what was NAFTA?
-what were the black voting trends?
-what was the one with the ethnic groups and the voting chart...with the big jump from 1924 to 1928?

By Mrbesch (Mrbesch) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:34 pm: Edit

NAFTA is free trade argreement between canada and mexico and the US. Blacks went from Democratic to Republican. The voting thing, the answer was biggest jump before depression because the biggest jumps were 1924-28. Depression was 1929.

By Mrbesch (Mrbesch) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:36 pm: Edit

I mean, blacks went Repub to Democratic. Sorry.

By Doerame (Doerame) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:37 pm: Edit

republican to democrat*
and did anyone put religious zeal for the Halfway Covenant?

By Babybird87 (Babybird87) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:39 pm: Edit

right now I've gotten 8 wrong...can't get any more wrong, lol.

What do you guys think about the last quote? I put the speaker would want expanded rights for women, that they would help the country...and i said alice paul would have said it.

By Adjlad (Adjlad) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:44 pm: Edit

alice paul would have never said that

she was a radical women's right supporter

what were the other choices?

By Justice (Justice) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:44 pm: Edit

Actually the Northwest Ordinance explicitly encouraged public education although states were not required to follow. The answer was the "offered free land to settlers." The whole point of the Northwest Ordinance was that Morris could actually make some money despite not being able to tax.

I put Brigham Young.
1950's.
Catholics.
Nader is DEFINITELY consumerism (remember his novel unsafe at any speed?)

I thought the halfway covenant one was a response to the Great Awakening. Either that or religous zeal. I thought that it was sort of the Puritans way of getting involved with the whole liberalization of religion thing, but it's probably less of a response and more of a part of the Great Awakening.

So far 2 wrong. 800 still in check...

By Mrbesch (Mrbesch) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:45 pm: Edit

I got the quote confused with the moral thing where mothers had to raise their children correctly. I think it was the equal rights or equal ed thing for women.

By Doerame (Doerame) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:45 pm: Edit

there was a woman who advocated the "cult of domesticity"... i put that as the answer... cause the speaker wanted the women to stay home and still maintain their influence

By Babybird87 (Babybird87) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:46 pm: Edit

i don't remember the others...the speaker wanted rights though, so why wouldn't it be alice paul?

the only other one i thought of was john dewey and pragmatic education

By Laurenh87 (Laurenh87) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:46 pm: Edit

Justice- Catholics was the answer to what question?

By Willywonka (Willywonka) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:47 pm: Edit

Halfway Covenant is about religious zeal being down. They didn't have enough "properly predestined" members, so they opened it up.

Edit: I also put cult of domesticity for the one quote. I had women's education, but there were no appropriate speakers in the next question. Dewey was about the style of education, I thought, not who got it. I'm not sure.

By Adjlad (Adjlad) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:47 pm: Edit

Halfway covenant was a way to get the youth to return back to the puritan religion without doing all the rights associated with the religion

By Justice (Justice) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:52 pm: Edit

Blacks went from Rep. to Dems. Remember how blacks were the party of Lincoln? The rads were derogatively called "black Republicans." The New Deal coalition involved FDR's courting of ethnic minorities and those in need of welfare.

By Laurenh87 (Laurenh87) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:54 pm: Edit

What was the question about Dewey? I don't even remember seeing it!

By Mrbesch (Mrbesch) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:54 pm: Edit

When can we find out our scores? In a week?

By Babybird87 (Babybird87) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:58 pm: Edit

2 weeks. Dewey=pragmatic education. I didn't put that, but that's what was there.

By Willywonka (Willywonka) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:58 pm: Edit

"What was the question about Dewey? I don't even remember seeing it!"

It was the quote about the influence of women and how intelligent and powerful women lead to an intelligent and powerful America. I took intelligent to be figurative and said it was about the cult of domesticity.

Dewey was in the follow-up question (the only one on the test I believe) that asked who said the quotation.

By Mrbesch (Mrbesch) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 02:00 pm: Edit

Who said that quote about arrogance? I had no idea, so I guessed Fulbright.

By Doerame (Doerame) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 02:01 pm: Edit

that's a great guess... i looked it up... i don't know how you'd guess something like that though mrbesch... i guessed nixon lol..

By Laurenh87 (Laurenh87) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 02:01 pm: Edit

Hmm what were the other choices besides Dewey? I'm praying I didn't skip that question by mistake...

By Doerame (Doerame) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 02:03 pm: Edit

lol i'm sure you didn't lauren... that was the question w/ alice paul as an answer choice.. and the cult of domesticity

By Justice (Justice) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 02:06 pm: Edit

The act of religious toleration was to protect Maryland's Catholics.

By Mrbesch (Mrbesch) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 02:06 pm: Edit

Well, I figured that Fulbright was relatively recent because of the Fulbright scholarship, and I can't see Nixon saying something like that about the U.S's policy...

Idk, it was the last q.

So, did I get it right? Sorry, I'm a bit fried.

By Babybird87 (Babybird87) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 02:08 pm: Edit

they definitely had a range of questions....from like really, really easy to really hard.

By Laurenh87 (Laurenh87) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 02:08 pm: Edit

Thanks, Doerame. I vaguely remember putting Alice Paul for something as a complete guess, so maybe I just didn't see Dewey.

By Doerame (Doerame) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 02:09 pm: Edit

ya fulbright was the answer...

By Babybird87 (Babybird87) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 02:11 pm: Edit

it was definitely fulbright. he's recent...in terms of US history you mean? yeah. I didn't put him because I associate him forever with Joseph McCarthy, who called him "Halfbright", so I dunno...i put humphrey but bad for me, I picked the only pro-war democrat in the world. LOL j/k

Nixon loved Vietnam, it was never Nixon...

2 McCarthy questions, I was very happy about that, I know the 50's like the back of my hand.

By Ilcapo (Ilcapo) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 02:16 pm: Edit

two graph questions im confused with:

1) the ethnic voters...was that something about how they switched before the great depression?

2) the 1980's...was it that there were other factors that contributed to the defecit besides spending

also for fullbright...here was my logic, fullbright=academics=liberal=antiwar

By Doerame (Doerame) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 02:18 pm: Edit

o ya... commonalities between nixon, JFK and mccarthy..

By Runrickyrun (Runrickyrun) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 02:20 pm: Edit

I'm pretty sure it was Catherine Beecher for the "Cult of Domesticity" Advocator.

By Dwerbowy (Dwerbowy) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 02:22 pm: Edit

what was the question with the painting of the desert/house? was it abouit the drought during the 1930's. and what was the Hudson school art thing about? i put A for that they liked the natural settings etc

By Dwerbowy (Dwerbowy) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 02:22 pm: Edit

what was the question with the painting of the desert/house? was it abouit the drought during the 1930's. and what was the Hudson school art thing about? i put A for that they liked the natural settings etc

By Laurenh87 (Laurenh87) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 02:23 pm: Edit

Two questions:

What were the Zoot Suit Riots?

What would Nixon's silent majority agree with?

Commonalities= anticommunist post-WWII presidents

By Laurenh87 (Laurenh87) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 02:25 pm: Edit

Painting- I think I put drought as well.

Hudson school- natural landscapes

By Willywonka (Willywonka) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 02:26 pm: Edit

"1) the ethnic voters...was that something about how they switched before the great depression?

2) the 1980's...was it that there were other factors that contributed to the defecit besides spending "

1 was definitely that they switched to the Democratic party most before the Great Depression. The GD started in 1929 and the largest jumps were from 1924-1928.

For number 2, I remember having two possible answers. One was that the federal government constantly grew, and the other was what you said. I put the one you said- that there are other factors- because the graph didn't necessarily mean the federal government grew.

By Islanders2588 (Islanders2588) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 02:27 pm: Edit

-the painting was the dust bowl, i think
-anyone think that puritans were good to women , it was one of the question in the beginning
-nafta wa us, canada and mexico, enable trade things
-wat was the question with Josiah Strong
-was fulbright andwer B?

-anyone think that puritans were good to women , it was one of the question in the beginning
-was fulbright andwer B?

-was fulbright andwer B?

By Islanders2588 (Islanders2588) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 02:28 pm: Edit

-was fulbright andwer B?

By Doerame (Doerame) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 02:30 pm: Edit

zoot suit = mexicans rioting in California... unless my memory is incorrect

and for nixon's silent majority i put affirm action + busing...

By Doerame (Doerame) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 02:30 pm: Edit

zoot suit = mexicans rioting in California... unless my memory is incorrect

and for nixon's silent majority i put affirm action + busing...

By Justice (Justice) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 02:33 pm: Edit

Zoot suit were the mexicans.

By Justice (Justice) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 02:33 pm: Edit

Zoot suit were the mexicans.

By Babybird87 (Babybird87) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 02:33 pm: Edit

No, the zoot suit riot is when soldiers attacked the Mexican kids in California.

Nixon's silent majority supported the Vietnam War.

By Willywonka (Willywonka) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 02:34 pm: Edit

"-anyone think that puritans were good to women , it was one of the question in the beginning"

It's the opposite. Life was fragile in Maryland and Virginia and women were scarce, so they were given rights. Women were taken for granted in New England. I think that's what it is, anyway.

Looks like I got the zoot suit and Nixon silent majority questions all wrong.

By Babybird87 (Babybird87) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 02:39 pm: Edit

the answer to the first puritan question...it was they had a strict moral conduct.

By Islanders2588 (Islanders2588) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 02:41 pm: Edit

did anyone else thing that in the span of liek 7 questions there was a lot of hard ones on slavery?

By Ilcapo (Ilcapo) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 02:47 pm: Edit

chemical fertilizer or barbed wire?

By Willywonka (Willywonka) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 02:49 pm: Edit

Ilcapo, barbed wire was important to farming in Texas especially around the time the question asked, so I ruled that one out. For some reason, I put the wind-turned water pump. I know it's silly, but I just couldn't imagine anyone wanting a water pump that was turned by the wind.

I guess it may have been a little chronologically early for chemical fertilizers. Oops.

By Mrbesch (Mrbesch) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 02:49 pm: Edit

Ohhh yeah, I put barbed wire. Probably wrong.

By Laurenh87 (Laurenh87) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 02:50 pm: Edit

I put chemical fertilizer but that was a guess

What did Jefferson call the revolution of 1800?

By Ilcapo (Ilcapo) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 02:51 pm: Edit

i knew that it pertained to the grange....but i didnt think that this was specifically agriculture

oh well, i got it wrong

By Babybird87 (Babybird87) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 02:53 pm: Edit

i put chemical fertilizer....

the revolution of 1800 is when the political party switched from Feds to Dem-Repubs

By Mrbesch (Mrbesch) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 02:53 pm: Edit

It was going from federalist to the other party- well, i know it was the changing of parties that was the Revolution of 1800.

By Jsknicks (Jsknicks) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 02:56 pm: Edit

what was the last question? the one with the "Silent Spring?"

By Babybird87 (Babybird87) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 02:58 pm: Edit

DDTs and pesticides

By Bandcampgeek (Bandcampgeek) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 02:58 pm: Edit

Silent Spring was against pesticides

By Mrbesch (Mrbesch) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 03:01 pm: Edit

Anyone know the barbed wire one?

And yes, it was pesticides- DDT specifically.

By Babybird87 (Babybird87) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 03:06 pm: Edit

barbed wire is wrong, that was not it. I believe it's chemical fertilizers simply because it seems too advanced for that time period. The others were around...it could be water spinning mill because that's kind of outdated for the late 1800s.

By Themabrklyn (Themabrklyn) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 03:12 pm: Edit

I didn't put the revolution was the switch in political parties because I thought he said "we are all Republicans, we are all Federalists" so why would that be a revolution?

By Athlonmj (Athlonmj) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 03:13 pm: Edit

pretty sure it's switch parties.... Jefferson only said that to reconcile both parties

By Mrbesch (Mrbesch) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 03:13 pm: Edit

It said so in my APUSH book. Well, that's why I think it was the reason. It was a big deal when it happened.

By Zephyr101 (Zephyr101) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 03:19 pm: Edit

for that women's rights thing, i put brigham young becuase i remember the question asking which was NOT. i didn't know who benjamin rush was, but lucy stone and susan b anthony and margaret fuller were advocates for women's rights. so i just picked brigham young.

By Z00b (Z00b) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 03:20 pm: Edit

So far I'm down 5... Hudson river, Left the one about women opposing someone's ideas blank, thought job programs for unemployed youth was jobcorps, which was great society under johnson, so I bubbled something else, left honeymooners blank...

What was colonial cities? I think I put they rarely exceeded 20,000... I can't remember

By Athlonmj (Athlonmj) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 03:21 pm: Edit

OH SHOOT, the woman's one was NOT? CRAP CRAP CRAP

By Babybird87 (Babybird87) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 03:22 pm: Edit

colonial cities were not interconnected by rivers.

By Laurenh87 (Laurenh87) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 03:25 pm: Edit

What was the job program for youth question?

Also- 7 wrong would mean what sort of score?

By Brenner87 (Brenner87) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 03:27 pm: Edit

The spanish one about nobility you said was wrong. The peninsulares were a VERY small portion, most others being creoles, mestizos, or mulattoes.

By Willywonka (Willywonka) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 03:32 pm: Edit

"What was the job program for youth question?"

It was a question asking what the New Deal did for labor. They were debating whether it was make it "legal" to unionize and choose representatives for unions or if it was creating a youth job service. I ruled out youth job service because I remember FDR made it illegal for anyone under, like, 18, to work. I thought. Either way, it was the self-representation thing.

By Laurenh87 (Laurenh87) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 03:35 pm: Edit

Oh you mean the one about collective bargaining?

By Athlonmj (Athlonmj) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 03:37 pm: Edit

Who was the historian? I guessed Frederick Jackson Turner.

By Laurenh87 (Laurenh87) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 03:39 pm: Edit

Yep it was the Turner Thesis. Good guess!

By Athlonmj (Athlonmj) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 03:43 pm: Edit

What about the one for spending during the 1980s - it was the chart

By Athlonmj (Athlonmj) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 04:09 pm: Edit

anyone?? I put E!

By Themabrklyn (Themabrklyn) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 04:14 pm: Edit

If I got 10 wrong and ommitted 6, will I still get above a 650?

By Athlonmj (Athlonmj) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 04:19 pm: Edit

yes. You'll get above 700 even

By Commonsense (Commonsense) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 04:27 pm: Edit

how about the question: what was not part of culture in late 19th century... something like that.

i remember professional baseball as answer. i chose movies.

By Netmet (Netmet) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 04:28 pm: Edit

This women's quote that you are disputing , I remember thinking at the test that it is definitely Susan B anthony....If any of you guys could remember the exact question I could clarify...but I remember that I had little doubt

By Athlonmj (Athlonmj) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 04:28 pm: Edit

yeah. movies weren't available during that time

By Netmet (Netmet) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 04:29 pm: Edit

commonsense, it was the motion pictures answer-you're right....and tyhe mccarthy one was that eisenhower condemned him, right?

By Student8712 (Student8712) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 04:30 pm: Edit

no mccarthy was taht he brought unpopular charges against the military i think

By Babybird87 (Babybird87) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 04:32 pm: Edit

no, netmet, that one was that the army-mccarthy hearings made his support fall.

Athlonmj-- the chart was either that the fed government grew or that the budget deficit is not always directly related to spending.

the only one that had susan b anthony as a possible answer was asking for someone who would disagree with feminists. anthony was a feminist.

By Athlonmj (Athlonmj) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 04:32 pm: Edit

mccarthy was that he lost popularity when he was condemning the army official on TV

By Efelder (Efelder) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 04:43 pm: Edit

wat if you get 10 wrong and omit zero? Will you get 750?

By Justice (Justice) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 04:55 pm: Edit

It was with which of the following individuals would a women's rights activist have most disagreed in the antebellum period?

By Themabrklyn (Themabrklyn) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 04:57 pm: Edit

About the graph with the spending: I thought the correct answer was there is a direct relationship, no? The motion picture answer is correct cuz they weren't around then.

By Willywonka (Willywonka) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:04 pm: Edit

"About the graph with the spending: I thought the correct answer was there is a direct relationship, no?"

It appeared so until the second and third to last years of deficit were scaled back as the expenditures continued to rise. I put that there are other things affecting the deficit than expenditures.

"It was with which of the following individuals would a women's rights activist have most disagreed in the antebellum period?"

Was the answer Brigham Young or that Rush guy?

By Tlaktan (Tlaktan) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:10 pm: Edit

NOTE TO SELF: Next life, DON'T take World History and U.S. History together.

I nearly fell asleep.

By Justice (Justice) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:13 pm: Edit

Rush was an advocate of women's education. I think it has to be Young.

By Tlaktan (Tlaktan) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:16 pm: Edit

Oh Lord, please let there be a generous curve. :D

By Student8712 (Student8712) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:33 pm: Edit

Are you SURE the women's question was NOT??? I'm pretty sure it didn't have a "not" and the answer was Susan B. Anthony...

By Themabrklyn (Themabrklyn) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:34 pm: Edit

Student: No--it was "not." I am 100% sure.

By Student8712 (Student8712) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:34 pm: Edit

Sigh...oh well it's only one question

By Bandcampgeek (Bandcampgeek) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:36 pm: Edit

that's the strangest thing, because i could swear that it WASN'T "not." weird...

By Efelder (Efelder) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 06:00 pm: Edit

what was the answer to the ques. with graph about the prices of cotton and slaves b4 the civil war?

By Dwerbowy (Dwerbowy) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 06:01 pm: Edit

what was the underlying theme of Wilson' 14 points? was it individuliasm or self-determination?

By Athlonmj (Athlonmj) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 06:01 pm: Edit

Weird, I didn't see the "not" either.

By Athlonmj (Athlonmj) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 06:02 pm: Edit

I put self-determination.

By Bandcampgeek (Bandcampgeek) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 06:03 pm: Edit

Is it possible that there were 2 different versions of the test? Because I am 100% positive that there was no "not," but others seem certain that there was. I know it sounds out there, but...

By Dwerbowy (Dwerbowy) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 06:08 pm: Edit

for the cotton and slave i put slave prices increased sharpely while cootton stayed the same

By Ilcapo (Ilcapo) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 06:14 pm: Edit

i thought the mccarthy question was something about eisenhower condemning him for his attacks

By Netmet (Netmet) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 11:42 pm: Edit

No- there is only one version....okay- I strongly believe there was a not, and if there was a NOT, than Susie B anthony would be the answer, correct?
And, it makes sense that there was a not, because they would definitely if there were no not, they would choose someone probably whose common theme was against feminism/women's rights and obviously, that was brigham young's common theme.

By Bullrider7788 (Bullrider7788) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 12:45 am: Edit

First off, the womens questions at the end of the test had to be domesticity, because it talked about how sister/wife/mothers influence the men ("take care of the women, and the ment will be fine too"), meaning that they had the power to shape politics since they raised the men.

The one that listed some literature and asked which period it was from, I put 1930's, since people were depressed from the Great-Depression, and thus turned to humor to cheer them up, and I remember something to do w/ positive thinking was one of the literature pieces.

The NW Ordinance of 1787 had NOTHING to do w/ Education. You guys are thinking of the Land Ordinance of 1785. The answer was definetly education.

Nader = consumer rights

And FDR approved of the CCC, which helped employ youths.

What about the Womens Christian Union? I put that it was something like "Told women they had a moral obligation to improve society" or something.

What about the Adams letters?

silent majority = supported vietnam

Fulbright is correct

zoot suit = abuse of mexicans by sailors

That's all i can think of right now....

By Tlaktan (Tlaktan) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 01:00 am: Edit

Adams Letters = I put down the answer about the Revolutionaries being anxious to give women rights than give slaves freedom

By Tlaktan (Tlaktan) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 01:02 am: Edit

Damn I got the damn zoot suit question wrong!!

By Bullrider7788 (Bullrider7788) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 01:05 am: Edit

Tlaktan, that couldn't be the answer to the Adams Letter question, because John Adams (a revolutionary) was laughing at Abigails proposal to expand women's rights.

By Willywonka (Willywonka) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 01:30 am: Edit

"The one that listed some literature and asked which period it was from, I put 1930's, since people were depressed from the Great-Depression, and thus turned to humor to cheer them up, and I remember something to do w/ positive thinking was one of the literature pieces."

The answer is the 1950s, I'm fairly sure. The Organization Man was also a question on the AP test and we looked it up in class the next day.

I remember knowing the Adams Letters answer, but I can't remember what it was. I think it was that they meant some women during the revolution desired more rights. I ruled out all of the other choices and put that one.

I know that I got Zoot Suit and Fulbright incorrect, but I've still not been convinced by either answer in the NW Ordinance debate.

"And FDR approved of the CCC, which helped employ youths."

Then which president gave unions the right to choose their own representatives and to bargain collectively? I don't think the test meant "youths" as in young men who worked for the CCC, but rather as in younger children whom FDR barred from working.

By Tlaktan (Tlaktan) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 01:36 am: Edit

Bullrider, the answer was:

"The Revolutionaries being MORE anxious to give women rights than to free the slaves"

Merriam Webster defines anxious as: characterized by extreme uneasiness of mind or brooding fear about some contingency

All the other answers were really further off..

Besides.. you could take anxious in the other definition as "eager to", but .. naah...

I wasn't quite sure on that one.

I think I got it wrong, that's why I wasn't quite sure when I listed my answer.

Unless it really does mean the first definition of Anxious.. but ehh..

By Tlaktan (Tlaktan) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 01:42 am: Edit

And I do think that there are multiple versions of the test out there. There was nothing about the Northwestern Ordinance in mine.

By Bullrider7788 (Bullrider7788) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 03:29 am: Edit

Tlaktan, "anxious" means eager, which means that A completely contradicts the first choice. Even so, the letter didn't mention ANYTHING about slaves, meaning that it couldn't possibly have been the answer you put.

Willywonka, you're thinking of two seperate questions. The collective bargaining and youth labor were answer choices in two different questions. Furthermore, the Land Ordinance was the one that granted education, and DEFINETLY not the Northwest Ordinance of 1787. BTW, are you sure on 1950's? The "Positive Thinking" or whatever the name of that literature REALLY seems like the 1930's...

By Tlaktan (Tlaktan) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 03:36 am: Edit

Like I said, it's wrong. But a lot of the others I've got right. Only ones I'm worried about is the zoot suit one, the Adams one (which I got wrong, duh) and the Brigham Young one.

I hope they curve.

// EDIT: Check that, I got the Northwest Ordinance one wrong too. //

Damn. 5 wrong in the hole.

By Netmet (Netmet) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 09:01 am: Edit

I did some research, and actually read the Northwest ordinance, which makes it clear that the "free land" answer was the correct choice. The education answer on the test said the NW ordinance "encouraged education". These exact words (encourage and education are in the line of the NW ord. that I have quoted below. So, the NW ORd did encourage education, while it did not supply free land:
Line:. "Religion, morality, and knowledge, being necessary to good government and the happiness of mankind, schools and the means of education shall forever be encouraged."

By Netmet (Netmet) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 09:06 am: Edit

And, this hasn't been disputed much, but are we sure the for the question under the painting of the desert, that the answer was drought? I can't receall exactly what I put- something about idealizing or glorifcation I think, but I put a different answer. Any comments?

By Sulskman (Sulskman) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 09:41 am: Edit

For the picture of the desert thing, I put it showed the realism of the school b/c the painting's barns looked very realistic. To the kid earlier who said Hudson River School realism I think you're wrong b/c there were barns and homes in the picture NOT just natural surroundings. Besides, in the test the Hudson River School was a choice for another answer so it is highly unlikely that a part of history so obscure would be the correct answere twice.

By Brenner87 (Brenner87) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 10:02 am: Edit

Netmet, the ordinance actually layed out one acre plots for schools in each county, which also had a set acreage.

By Elisetrop (Elisetrop) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 10:08 am: Edit

no no, hudson school of art artists would never paint anything that was established by people-- they painted landscapes-- and it wasn't realistic which was the style of this group of artists -- it was computer graphics. The NW ordinance did nothing for education-- especially "public" education-- it was barely touched upon during the reform movements of the jacksonian era with horace mann. The literature question with books like the "ordinary man" was from the 1950's-- it was also on the ap test.

By Sulskman (Sulskman) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 10:29 am: Edit

No, Elise you are wrong about NW ordinance. It mandated that lands be set aside for public education.

By Netmet (Netmet) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 10:33 am: Edit

Okay-Elise, PLEASE read my previous post. I quoted the Northwest Ordinance, which says that they encouraged education! And the answer choice with education included the words encouraged and education. So, please do not make definitive assertions when you don't have anything to back them up. And Sulskman, the NW Ordinance of 1785 set aside land for schools, not that of 1787. Nevertheless, education was directly encouraged by the NW Ord of 1787 and thus "free land" is the answer

By Athlonmj (Athlonmj) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 10:56 am: Edit

The ordinance provided that:

-No fewer than three, or more than five, states would be formed
-Admission to the Union would be available when the number of free inhabitants reached 60,000
-Civil rights and liberties be guaranteed
-Education be encouraged
-Slavery and involuntary servitude be prohibited.

I don't see "free land" anywhere... so that must be the answer.

By Student8712 (Student8712) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 01:11 pm: Edit

What was the answer to the question that asked basically "Which of the following wasn't part of the 1950s?"

I was between beatniks and peace gardens but I decided on peace gardens

By Bullrider7788 (Bullrider7788) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 01:26 pm: Edit

I put victory gardens too, because I think those were in WWII, not the 1950's.

By Bullrider7788 (Bullrider7788) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 01:34 pm: Edit

I just googled it, and the answer is victory gardens. BTW, what about the question on the Chinese Exclusion Act? I put that it was supported by the working class, since immigrants usually take a lot of the workers job (cheap labor). I didn't put down that the railroads were stalled by the Exclusion Act, because by 1882, most of them were already complete.

By Student8712 (Student8712) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 01:47 pm: Edit

I put working class too. Think about it, it's just common sense that the working class would be against the Chinese for stealing their jobs...

By Mrbesch (Mrbesch) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 03:10 pm: Edit

I put laborers/working class, because the Chinese would be stealing their jobs.

I also put Victory Gardens. Those were for WWII.

By Ilcapo (Ilcapo) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 03:58 pm: Edit

what about the 1980s graph?

i said that deficits were affected by MORE than expenditures

By Justice (Justice) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 05:08 pm: Edit

Yep.

By Willywonka (Willywonka) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 05:16 pm: Edit

"i said that deficits were affected by MORE than expenditures"

That's also what I put. The only other choice which was possibly correct from the graph was about the size of the government consistently growing during the decade, which the graph neither proved nor disproved.

I also put Victory Gardens, working class against Chinese immigration.

For the painting of the barns, I said it was about the dust bowl. It made sense to me, I guess.

Yes, I'm almost certain that the Organization Man and the other things were 1950s. That's what my teacher said after the AP test, anyway.

Does anyone remember the other choices for Nixon's silent majority besides supporting Vietname and supporting affirmative action? I can't remember what I put.

By Sulskman (Sulskman) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 05:36 pm: Edit

What evidence in that barn painting suggested it was in the dustbowl? I just said it was realism b/c the barn looked realistic to me.

I think another wrong choice was the silent majority would support deficit spending.

By Sulskman (Sulskman) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 05:38 pm: Edit

To those who have taken US SAT II before or done other practice tests? How does this test compare? I thought it was easy. The AP US was also easy this year.

By Justice (Justice) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 05:45 pm: Edit

Definitely 50s because of "the Honeymooners." Clearly a conservative aura. I thought it was pretty easy. I have 3x 1omit right now...hopefully it stays that way.

By Doerame (Doerame) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 06:49 pm: Edit

what was the answer to the question that dealt with reforms initiated by LBJ under the Great Society program?

It was a "NOT" question... one of the answer choices was not part of LBJ's administration

By Athlonmj (Athlonmj) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 06:53 pm: Edit

the answer was social security to the LBJ question... that was created during FDR's administration

By Bullrider7788 (Bullrider7788) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 07:55 pm: Edit

The painting was dust-bowl because you could see the rib-cage of the cow, and the farmland was barren. It would not be realism, because in actuallity you don't see the rib-cage of a cow.

By Sulskman (Sulskman) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 08:04 pm: Edit

Good eye bullrider. I didn't notice the cow's ribcage at all.

So, I think I got three wrong. (Vietnam Quote, Dustbowl picture, and who was against women's rights)

BTW What about the EXCEPT question about the spanish explorers? Were they nobles or did they find valuable stuff?

By Tlaktan (Tlaktan) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 08:08 pm: Edit

Yeah, I put the Dustbowl answer. It wasn't quite Realism because well.. Art History training kicked in :D

By Hertish (Hertish) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 08:19 pm: Edit

So what was the answer to the Vietnam quote again?

By Justice (Justice) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 08:20 pm: Edit

Spanish one was manufactured goods.

By Tlaktan (Tlaktan) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 08:26 pm: Edit

I think it was Fulbright?

By Athlonmj (Athlonmj) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 08:28 pm: Edit

No, I think he was asking about the OTHER spanish question.

By Lahlahlah (Lahlahlah) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 08:40 pm: Edit

brigham young would have disagreed i mean come on ppl he believedin polygamy

By Lahlahlah (Lahlahlah) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 08:40 pm: Edit

brigham young would have disagreed i mean come on ppl he believedin polygamy

By Tlaktan (Tlaktan) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 08:43 pm: Edit

All the more reason for Brigham Young (I guessed on this question, probably got it wrong): he wants to restrain any chances of his wives figuring out "Hey, we have rights too!"..

By Glory (Glory) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 09:10 pm: Edit

for the "EXCEPT" question about invention thingies that altered agriculture in the LATE 19th century..did anyone think of putting the steel plow? I thought that was during antebellum-contemporary to the cotton gin (1820s-30s)??

By Ilcapo (Ilcapo) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 09:17 pm: Edit

the answer is brigham young...i googled him and the mormon church is anti-feminist

By Patrizi0 (Patrizi0) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 09:54 pm: Edit

So what would my predicted score be for 18 left blank and 3 wrong? I'm almost positive I'm cancelling, I'm just gonna see what other scales say (I've only seen Kaplan's, which almost seems too generous).

By Athlonmj (Athlonmj) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 09:57 pm: Edit

Patrizi0, that would be a 730 from the 22 Real SAT IIs curve.... I wouldn't cancel that now ;)

By Themabrklyn (Themabrklyn) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 09:59 pm: Edit

Okay I think I have 10 wrong and 7 blank.

By Netmet (Netmet) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 10:50 pm: Edit

Atholonmj- a raw score of 71 is a 730? That just doesnt sound right- 8 left blank, a raw score of 82, is the last 800 in real SAT 2s i believe, so i dont see how 11 points lower is a 730...but if i am wrong, i stand corrected..but maybe you should double check on that

By Bullrider7788 (Bullrider7788) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 10:50 pm: Edit

Don't be so quick to cancel. On my Chem SAT II, I left 7 blank, and there were 6 questions that I knew I got wrong an hour after taking it (I probably got more than 6 wrong), and I pulled a *760*. Don't underestimate the curves on these tests.

By Netmet (Netmet) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 10:51 pm: Edit

Glory- what were the other choices for the steel plow question? I am not totally recalling the question

By Themabrklyn (Themabrklyn) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 11:02 pm: Edit

The answer was chemical pesticides or something like that--they weren't even invented yet.

By Bullrider7788 (Bullrider7788) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 11:24 pm: Edit

Thema, are you sure on that? Didn't Carvey or someone invent pesticides in the mid 1800's?

By Tlaktan (Tlaktan) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 11:27 pm: Edit

Chemical fertilizers.

By Bullrider7788 (Bullrider7788) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 11:27 pm: Edit

Check this out:

http://www.teenink.com/Past/1998/10323.html

"...It was not until the 1800's that farmers began using pesticides."

By Themabrklyn (Themabrklyn) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 12:08 am: Edit

Fertilizers. Right.

By Glory (Glory) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 12:18 am: Edit

The choice was chemical fertilizer not chemical pesticides:

http://130.166.124.2/geogcourses/american_agric_hist.pdf

if you look next to 1849...that's when chemical fertilizers were sold commercially.

Anyone know whether wind mills ( i think that was one of the answer choices) contributed to agricultural development in the LATE 19th century?

PS. If u look next to 1837- that's when deere began manufacturing the Steel plow.

So the question now is: was that still effective/ in use 50 years afterwards? keyword: LATE.

By Glory (Glory) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 12:20 am: Edit

ps:
1854: self governing windmill perfected
1874: barbed wire.

what was the remaining answer choice?

By Bullrider7788 (Bullrider7788) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 12:24 am: Edit

The answer choice was WATER-POWERED windmills. Is that the same as "self governing windmills"???

By Athlonmj (Athlonmj) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 12:30 am: Edit

I don't remember remember the windmill question at all! Or was this part of the chemical fertilizers question?

Netmet: His raw score is 68 which translates to a 730 - I double checked. A raw score of 71 would be a 740.

By Nealious (Nealious) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 12:30 am: Edit

Rock n Roll became popular in the 60's, right?

I don't have a prep book or anything, but judging by the ones you guys have the curve is really good.

Oh, and Nixon's silent majority probably thought the war in Vietnam was justified?

And did plains farmer use chemical fertilizer?
sigh...we are so cool.

By Bullrider7788 (Bullrider7788) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 12:42 am: Edit

Rock n Roll was popular during the 50's (Elvis Presley).

By Athlonmj (Athlonmj) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 12:45 am: Edit

shoot, what were the other choices for Rock n Roll question? I can't remember what I put!!

By Hertish (Hertish) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 12:50 am: Edit

Do you think the test was harder than the one from the Real SATs?? I got a 720 on the real sats book but i think this test was harder than the one from real sats book

By Tlaktan (Tlaktan) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 12:54 am: Edit

Athlon - one of them was the "vast wasteland" of Television.

By Athlonmj (Athlonmj) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 01:00 am: Edit

ah, I remember that I remember that I specifically did not put "vast wastleland" of Television.

By Tlaktan (Tlaktan) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 01:04 am: Edit

I only remember vast wasteland because that's what I put.

// EDIT: Just googled it, the "vast wasteland" speech was made in 1961, by Congressman Minnow or something like that.. Look it up.. so it wouldn't fall under the '50s"

By Ilcapo (Ilcapo) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 01:18 am: Edit

explain the mccarthy question...i thought that the answer was eisenhower :(

By Tlaktan (Tlaktan) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 01:19 am: Edit

McCarthy got screwed when he went up to Congress and started blaming the Army for Communism. Rule #1: The army is LEAST likely to turn Communist. #2: Never attack the Army, for you're bound to get screwed then.

He got screwed over big time. 'Nuff said.

By Z00b (Z00b) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 01:49 am: Edit

Trying to remember 50's question. Wasn't it like Which of the following is not associated w/ 50's

Levvittowns
Shopping malls
rock and roll
vast wasteland

what was the other one?

By Athlonmj (Athlonmj) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 01:51 am: Edit

oh ok, the other one was victory gardens - the correct answer

By Tlaktan (Tlaktan) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 01:55 am: Edit

Wait a second, the vast wasteland phrase wasn't introduced until the early '60s. WTF? Are you sure the victory gardens wasn't a part of a different question?

By Athlonmj (Athlonmj) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 02:06 am: Edit

i'm pretty sure victory gardens was part of the same question. I remember quite vividly debating between levvittowns or victory gardens (since I wasn't quite sure what either of them were) and finally putting down victory gardens as my final answer.

By Tlaktan (Tlaktan) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 02:09 am: Edit

Victory gardens and Levitttowns was in the same question with the "beatniks" thing. No way all three answers could have been in there.

At least that's what I think. Someone else clarify?

By Hidavid (Hidavid) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 03:16 am: Edit

what's the answer of columbus thing??

By Tlaktan (Tlaktan) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 03:17 am: Edit

He wanted to find a route to Asia and prove that you could go by going West.

By Netmet (Netmet) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 09:31 am: Edit

question- for this victory gardens question, does anyone remember what the last answer choice was?I remember that's what I put, but I am not 100 percent sure if that was victory gardens or not.

By Jf215 (Jf215) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 11:38 am: Edit

victory gardens WAS the answer to that question? Cool, I completly guessed. What ARE victory gardens?

By Jf215 (Jf215) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 11:38 am: Edit

I'm pretty sure victory gardens was option E, meaning you're right Netmet.

By Z00b (Z00b) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 12:43 pm: Edit

So did most American Indians die from disease? Because I know the Pizarro and Cortez did kill quite a few

By Athlonmj (Athlonmj) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 01:26 pm: Edit

that's what I put

By Rogerfederer (Rogerfederer) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 01:34 pm: Edit

what did the Lewis & Clark expidition not do?

What was the largest US acquisition of territory?

anyone remember these?

By Savoirfaire87 (Savoirfaire87) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 01:46 pm: Edit

Does anyone remember which letter was the correct answer for the last question (about Rachel Carson and Silent Spring)?

the correct answer is pesticides...I'm just not sure I put that...I remember bubbling in a C...i think

thanks

By Netmet (Netmet) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 03:15 pm: Edit

Savoir, I am pretty sure pesticides was either B or C, and I'm leaning towards C. So, you're probably right. And jf215- thanks for clarifying it was E:that's a relief

By Hertish (Hertish) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 04:40 pm: Edit

I said that the biggest land aqusition is Louisiana Purchase.. I might be wrong!!

Also, what do u guys think of the test?? I thought it was harder than the one from the 22 Real SAT II's

By Netmet (Netmet) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 05:43 pm: Edit

It was Louisianna Purchase

By Justice (Justice) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 06:05 pm: Edit

I put wasteland of television. Any chance that could be right?

By Justice (Justice) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 06:06 pm: Edit

Hudson River School is def. landscapes I wrote my paper on it.

By Journkid (Journkid) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 06:09 pm: Edit

The question for the 1950s was like, "What isn't associated with the '50s?"

Levittown
Beatniks
Rock n' Roll
Television
Victory gardens

The answer's victory gardens.

During WWII, the army had to ration produce to send to the troops. People began to plant their own vegetable gardens in their backyards, so the mass produced stuff could go to the war effort (and thus bring the "victory"). Since victory gardens refer to the WWII efforts of the 1940s, it cannot be associated with the '50s.

I studied my butt off for the US History AP, and found this test to be easier than the AP, in my opinion. There were only about three questions where I was a little off. Rest of it, peachy.

By Justice (Justice) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 06:10 pm: Edit

Lewis and Clark did not explore the Hudson River Valley seeing as that it in the Tri-State area and they went out west.
The Lousiana Purchase is correct.
American Indians died from disease. Very few were actually killed (you try going somewhere with 150 troops and killing millions of people).
What were the other choices in the fertilizer question?

By Tlaktan (Tlaktan) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 06:12 pm: Edit

I don't think so. The vast wasteland of television quote didn't come out until 1961.

By Journkid (Journkid) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 06:13 pm: Edit

Lewis and Clark did not explore the Hudson River Valley. They woulda been going the wrong way. :-)

The Louisisan Purchase was our largest land acquisition.

By Willywonka (Willywonka) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 06:13 pm: Edit

I freaked and put Alaska for the biggest land purchase. I could never remember which land purchases were the biggest because of the weird way the AP texts word the size of them. They compared it based on the percentage of land that was increased upon purchase, so it wasn't really a clear comparison.

"what did the Lewis & Clark expidition not do? "

I don't remember all of the choices, but I remember a few that were definitely not the right answer (because the expeditions DID these things): It DID give USA claims to Oregon. It DID do whatever the choice was with the Columbia river. It DID map the upper Missouri. It DID improve Americans' knowledge of natural sciences. I can't remember the fifth choice, but I think that was the answer.

"McCarthy got screwed when he went up to Congress and started blaming the Army for Communism. Rule #1: The army is LEAST likely to turn Communist. #2: Never attack the Army, for you're bound to get screwed then.

He got screwed over big time. 'Nuff said."

Bah. He didn't get screwed. He was trying to ruin even more lives with wild accusations and picked the wrong target. He had it coming.

Politics aside, that was the right answer. :P

By Journkid (Journkid) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 06:16 pm: Edit

Then how do you explain victory gardens, which were a purely 1940s war effort idea?

By Student8712 (Student8712) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 06:26 pm: Edit

What question was "vast wasteland" in??? I don't remember it.

I do however remember the question about the 1950s and that exactly was Journkid listed it. The answer to it was victory gardens (e.)

By Bullrider7788 (Bullrider7788) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 07:33 pm: Edit

While the "vast wastelands" may not have been coined until 1961, the actual vast-wasteland-ing (sorry for not thinking of a better term) occurred in the 1950's.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page