OFFICAL MATH 2C THREAD

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: June 2004 Archive: OFFICAL MATH 2C THREAD
By Kewlkiwi102 (Kewlkiwi102) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 11:03 am: Edit

Well....all i gotta say about this one is &@$!*^$%$*&#@.
Anyone else feel the same way?
Im hoping for a very very nice curve...that would be my only hope for an 800 on this test.

By Ella05 (Ella05) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 11:09 am: Edit

hey, me too! I didn't even do all the problems; I ommitted 9. Oh, let there be a huge curve. It seemed way harder than the practice tests.

By Kewlkiwi102 (Kewlkiwi102) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 11:14 am: Edit

Omitted 5...I never even had to do that on Barrons.
If I omitted 5 and got 2 wrong what are my odds of getting an 800?

By Aoe2guy (Aoe2guy) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 11:15 am: Edit

Kiwi- if you're sure you only got 2 wrong, and seeing that this test was evidently difficult, i think you're fine

By Kewlkiwi102 (Kewlkiwi102) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 11:21 am: Edit

I dont know if I only got two wrong. One i am sure of, the other one i threw in there to account for stupidity. Hopefully, the ones I omitted would have been the ones I would have normally gotten wrong any way...hm...
good luck to everyone else out there!

By Chamonix (Chamonix) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 11:45 am: Edit

I came out feeling good. I omitted 4, and am sure that I got 1 wrong. I omitted the last three (not because of time), and one in the early fourties.

By Bcrichsolo (Bcrichsolo) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 11:46 am: Edit

i omited 8 and i didnt omit any on barrons....i was so frusterated when she called time

By Bcrichsolo (Bcrichsolo) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 11:46 am: Edit

wats the usual curve?

By Chamonix (Chamonix) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 11:48 am: Edit

In the real SAT II's its:
43 raw score= 800
38= 750
33=700

By Whirlziggi (Whirlziggi) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 12:02 pm: Edit

Omg.. I'm so scared. I omitted 8, and i dont even know how many careless mistakes i might have made.. and i cant cancel it, because i think i did well on the chem :( Aarghh.. we should all collectively pray for a huge curve. I thought that test was so hard, the sad thing is i couldve done the probs but i ran out of time!!

By Bcrichsolo (Bcrichsolo) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 12:03 pm: Edit

I left 8 blank and guessed 2 about 2. Im pretty sure I got the rest right so I hope I got 750

By Kewlkiwi102 (Kewlkiwi102) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 12:04 pm: Edit

Exactly. Time was the issue for me also.

By Bcrichsolo (Bcrichsolo) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 12:06 pm: Edit

yea i agree with whirl. Some of the questions at the end were very hard and I just locked up...The only problem was... The begining was very easy compared to other tests. After 40 every problem was hard I think so the curve is probably gona be pretty decent

By Goonberg (Goonberg) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 12:13 pm: Edit

Did anyone else feel like secant was involved in every other problem? I just thought that was strange, maybe looking for a little more variety. It seemed easy as to what I was expecting. My only problem was that I could have used a little more time to finish 49 and 50, which I had to omit, and to go back over the test. I omitted about 6 in total, maybe missed 3, hoping for mid 700s.

By Npatrick6 (Npatrick6) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 12:17 pm: Edit

I had an 800M on my SAT I and got an 800 on the Real SAT IIs test last night.

Today... $#&*(#$@#@$%

The first part of the test was really easy, pretty sure I aced it up to about question 42. I had about 10 minutes left at this point. What a big mistake. The last few problems I found to be extremely hard.

And then I started to panic.

So, in the end, I omitted 6 or 7 and most likely got 2 or 3 wrong.

I really want that 800... not sure if I should cancel, cause then I'd have to cancel my writing score also (which I did decent on, I guess).

Please let there be a huge curve........

By Frenchfries (Frenchfries) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 12:17 pm: Edit

On the three Barron's tests I took (timed), I never got to the last 10 or so, plus I always skipped about 5 on top of that and got around 7 wrong. Even on the two Sparknotes tests I took, I still couldn't finish, even though I did a lot better than Barron's. But the test today? I zoomed right through the first half easily in 20 minutes (highly abnormal), and until the last 10, skipping a problem because I couldn't figure it out didn't even cross my mind. I was really nervous coming in, but now that I'm finished, I feel confident. Phew. I skipped three problems altogether: 44, 45, and one other one that was either 47, 48 or 49.

By Dliebers (Dliebers) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 12:19 pm: Edit

are we allowed to talk about individual questions?

By Desprateslacker (Desprateslacker) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 12:23 pm: Edit

i thought it was like a million times easier than the barrons book, i didnt omit and on barrons i omitted at least 5 on the 3 practice tests i took. The only annoying question was the one with the line thats slicing the rectangle and the last one with the cone,those took a while to do, otherwise most were straight forward

By Hermione (Hermione) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 12:23 pm: Edit

Is the scaled score chart a set thing, or they do they curve it more depending on how the majority of people do?

By Cognitio (Cognitio) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 12:24 pm: Edit

The latter.

By Shaka (Shaka) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 12:25 pm: Edit

OMG i omitted 5 and i made at least one STUPID mistake that i know of!!!

i was so stupid, for the question about the line reflecting the pts...i put 0,0!! SO STUPID OMFG

and YES, the last few questions take too long to do so i skipped

By Katiya (Katiya) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 12:26 pm: Edit

what does F(x-1) F(x-1) mean??

By Shaka (Shaka) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 12:27 pm: Edit

yea, katiya, i skipped that one

anyone remember those 2 probability/permutation/combination questions? one was about three types of..someting...i think it should be 5 * 4 * 3?

the other was like.... 7/18 times 6/17?

right?

By Cognitio (Cognitio) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 12:28 pm: Edit

It depends what F(x) is, you need to evaluate each function and then multiply what you get... If F(x) = x, then the answer would be x^2-2x+1, etc.

By Vladimir2004 (Vladimir2004) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 12:28 pm: Edit

Let me tell you guys something: The test starts, I answer the first say 25 questions without problems, and think to myself: damn, I'm getting a 800 on this. So, i relax and take my time which i should not have done. I get stuck on a couple of problems, and after i figure them out i realize that there are like 20 more questions and 10 minutes left! I ommites like 8 or 10, and let's assume i got 5 wrong, do i have a chance for a 700? I'm so frustrated, because i think they purposely made this test to screw us over. In fact, it was pretty easy tho.

By Shaka (Shaka) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 12:29 pm: Edit

vlad, you are like reading my mind...i was like that too...AND THERE WAS THIS HOT GRL SITTIN ACROSS FROM ME OMG...she kept dustin off her tanktop and i was like *droolz

By Chamonix (Chamonix) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 12:38 pm: Edit

Shaka: for the probablity one your right on the 7/18*6/17, but on the other wasn't it 4*3*2, at least that's what I put.

the sliced rectable one was -1

does anyone remember the two spheres intersecting and the determinate of a matrix one?

By Shaka (Shaka) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 12:39 pm: Edit

yea, chamonix, i mustve remember the #s wrong...your right

By Katiya (Katiya) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 12:40 pm: Edit

Shaka - i got those also

Cognitio - i don't know what you are saying...
i think i wrote it wrong before, i was something like F(x) = (x-1) F (x-1) then it said that F(.21) = 4.256 .... i made up those numbers though, all i remember is that they were decimals. I thought that it was ...recursive? is that the word, but it wasn't and then I had already spent to much time on it so I stopped thinking about it.

Vladimir-omfg the same thing happened to me, I was going pretty fast in the beginning, with 20 minutes left I had a little more than 10 problems left... and somehow I only had time to do like 5 of them and I left 7 or so blank in total. In the beginning they were easy so I was double-checking myself. ARGH! I should have done the test backwards.

By Maud (Maud) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 12:43 pm: Edit

hey what about the last problem with the cone...what was the height? im slow...it took me forever to get that, and then i just gave up and guessed A

Also, what about the one with two spheres of different diameters intersecting?

AHHH that test killed me!

By Shaka (Shaka) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 12:44 pm: Edit

OHHH the angles of those 2 lines...slope 2/5 and slope 3/5...was it like...9.16 degrees or soetmhing?

By Adjlad (Adjlad) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 12:44 pm: Edit

damn, me too

the ones in the beginning were so easy that i lost that sense of urgency

voila--->
8 questions blank
a couple o' guesses

By Chamonix (Chamonix) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 12:45 pm: Edit

Katiya: that's exactly how the question read except your numbers on the right are made up (I don't remember what they are). So how do you do it. I entered in the numbers but my answer wasn't one of the answers, so I left it blank.

By Cognitio (Cognitio) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 12:45 pm: Edit

Ah okay, yeah, any function that equals an expression involving itself is recursive.

I'm not sure how to solve it when you have an input like that. I do remember, though, solving a repeated fraction that was like 1 + 1/(1 + 1/(1 + 1/(1 + 1/... = ?, that went on forever. You had to model it as x = 1 + 1/x, then you can solve it as a quadratic. This would work if you could substitute y for f(x), but unfortunately you can't since you have a strange input...or something.

By Chamonix (Chamonix) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 12:46 pm: Edit

Shaka: I got 9.16 too, I'm pretty sure that's right.

By Shaka (Shaka) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 12:47 pm: Edit

yay, i kinda guessed on that...i tried using law of cosines...but i think the answer wasnt exactly the same...

By Chamonix (Chamonix) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 12:48 pm: Edit

Did you guys get 0 for the determinate of that matrix?

By Maud (Maud) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 12:50 pm: Edit

yeah i got 0...just plug it in the calc
what about the second to last one, something with m raised to like 91 and 90...

By Chamonix (Chamonix) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 12:52 pm: Edit

wohooo, that was one of the ones I wasn't sure of. I knew how to do the second to last one, but it would have taken too long.

For the intersection of the two spheres surfaces, was the answer a circle and a point.

I hate the those ones, I said a sphere and a point, but I'm pretty sure that's wrong.

By Ragnarok (Ragnarok) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 12:53 pm: Edit

I'm not sure if I should cancel or not... What is a college's usual policy about taking the SAT IIs more than once, do they look at the highest score?

I had the same problem as a lot of other people, the beginning was easy so for some reason I thought to myself, 'Hmm, it's easy, let me take my time and check over all of my answers to make sure I don't make any stupid mistakes on these easy ones.' And then, of course, I didn't get even close to finishing. I'm thinking about canceling, but I'm not sure if I should since I think I did pretty good on the writing test.

By Maud (Maud) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 12:54 pm: Edit

i put circle and point but that was random last minute guess
what about the last one? did anyone get it?

By Katiya (Katiya) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 12:55 pm: Edit

hell yea, that determinant one was so pleasing. i had like 3 minutes left and a lot of questions left so i just skimmed over them and was like, yay determinant of a 3x3 matrix... aka, do you kno how to use your calculator???

I got the 9.16 one too, using the difference of the inverse tan of 2/5 and 3/5

the F(x) question is still bothering me...

By Chamonix (Chamonix) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 12:55 pm: Edit

I'm pretty sure it was circle and a point.

By Hermione (Hermione) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 12:57 pm: Edit

How would they make a circle? *worried*

By Chamonix (Chamonix) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 12:57 pm: Edit

well, I just entered it into the calculator, but I don't even know what a determinant is.
cool

By Hewashere (Hewashere) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 12:59 pm: Edit

can anyone explain to me why the sliced rectangle one was -1?
wat was theanswer for the vector problem?

did anyone get 14.92 for the last one with the height ofthe smaller cone?

By Zas1987 (Zas1987) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:00 pm: Edit

why would there be a circle AND a point? if they intersect, there would only be a circle... right? if they are tangent, THEN there would be a point.

By Chamonix (Chamonix) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:01 pm: Edit

I didn't even say that, so I hope that's wrong. But if what I remember is correct, it was the interesection of the two spheres surfaces, the key word being surfaces. Am I correct in remember the word surfaces, because if that was the word, then just think about it, the surfaces intersection make a circle. Use your hands as the two spheres and join them together.

By Maud (Maud) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:03 pm: Edit

for the sliced rectangle, if you put the points in to the calculator and graph all the lines, you can see that the y = x-1 line cuts it in half...not exactly into two triangles but into like 2 trapezoid things that look about the same
even if you can't tell that they were the same you could see that the other lines are way off, and -1 is the closest

I got 8.32 for the height but I bet that's wrong because i had no clue what I was doing..i tried to use ratios and stuff to find the radius but then I got 9,which seemed too easy,so I picked the closest answer choice to 9, which was A

oh well...

By Monoe (Monoe) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:05 pm: Edit

I thought it was the best testing I've ever done. I am hoping for an 800. I omitted 3 and doubt I got more than 2 or 3 others wrong.

How would one figure out the 90 and 91 exponent one? How would two spheres intersect?

Those were two of the three I omitted - I believe the other one was a time issue - I could do it, but it would take too much time.

Overall, if the curve is as nice as you all are hoping, I should expect high 700's at least.

By Katiya (Katiya) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:06 pm: Edit

Oh no.
I think I got the sphere one wrong, because a sphere is just the outside, isn't it? So they wouldn't intersect for the whole thing because they have different diameters. So, a point or a circle. *stupid me*

By Chamonix (Chamonix) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:06 pm: Edit

maybe it's just a circle, I'm not sure.

For those of you who used the Barron's book, did you enter in the formulas into your calculator that they gave. Because one of them was finding the acute angle one. When I saw that problem, I was just amazed because I had no idea how to do it, but I still got the answer right because of the program. Thank you Barron's.

By Chamonix (Chamonix) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:08 pm: Edit

Katiya: I did the exact same thing. bummer

By Maud (Maud) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:08 pm: Edit

what were the answer choices for the sphere one again?

was there some choice with "or" and another with "and"...i dont remember i came back to that one and then I just guessed, i didn't read carefully enough so I don't remember now

By Monoe (Monoe) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:11 pm: Edit

I am starting to think that the answer should be 'a circle only'...but I don't remember if that was a choice. I think that it wasn't, and that's why I didn't answer it.

By Impatheticiknow (Impatheticiknow) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:11 pm: Edit

circle and point is what i put...some others i remember putting...aplitude is -5, i think that vector one was D, 1001 was the first term, the limit one was 2, domian for one was 0<or eq. to x<oreq 4, f(x)f(3)=f(x+3) was e^x, smallest triangle angle was somewhere in the 40s (i think), sin B=1/4, (1,0) for the point, y=x-5 for the +c one, x cannot be someting-pi, point on a circle is (-1,2)..

By Kewlkiwi102 (Kewlkiwi102) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:11 pm: Edit

Its a point and a circle. The point would be if they were tangent which still counts as an intersection.

It cannot be a sphere i think....I cant even vizualize how that would happen

What was witht he F(x)=(x-1)F(x-1) question? I looked at it, and said im not wasting my time.

What was with the rectangle? None of those would work I thought becuase the line was y=x-c, and the point was (4,6) so to make congurent shapes out of it it would have to cut through the diagonal, or straigh across or straigh up and down through the middle. What did i miss there?

The angle one was 9 something :)

Um um um....what was #47?

By Haruhara (Haruhara) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:12 pm: Edit

0 for the determinant of the matrix?

point OR circle... not sure if there had been a point AND circle choice

By Maud (Maud) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:13 pm: Edit

doesnt amplitude have to be positive? i put 5 for that...but maybe im just mixed up

i got 44 for the smallest angle one, and e^x also (i think that was the third to last question right?)

By Adjlad (Adjlad) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:14 pm: Edit

amplitude one was +5

no such thing as negative amplitude

By Impatheticiknow (Impatheticiknow) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:15 pm: Edit

oh crap youre right! aplitude is abs. value! damn. I knew that was too obvious.

By Monoe (Monoe) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:16 pm: Edit

Oh, yes - for the 'all xy points flipped over the line EQUATION OF LINE' one....was it the origin?

By Meekchun (Meekchun) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:16 pm: Edit

in the x+c question .. c was -1 right? because it made like two identical trapezoid thingys?

By Homer2568 (Homer2568) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:17 pm: Edit

just to let you all know...the angle between the two lines was 9.16...barrons iic book has a program they tell u to put on ur calculator that does that exact problem

By Monoe (Monoe) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:17 pm: Edit

yes

By Xbizkitl (Xbizkitl) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:18 pm: Edit

No. What doesn't get flipped when you reflect something? Only some point that's on the line.

It was 8,17.

By Maud (Maud) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:18 pm: Edit

Meekchun - I got that too
the line was x+c right, not x-c?

Monoe- i got origin also...it seemed too easy but i didnt feel like wasting time checking to see if it was right...

By Meekchun (Meekchun) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:19 pm: Edit

yea (8,17) was right -- it was on the line

By Hewashere (Hewashere) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:20 pm: Edit

but can't u divide a rectangle into two equal right triangles also?

By Impatheticiknow (Impatheticiknow) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:21 pm: Edit

yeah- i meant -1.

By Meekchun (Meekchun) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:21 pm: Edit

yea x+c

By Meekchun (Meekchun) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:23 pm: Edit

not two equal right triangles - two trapezoids

By Lildude_Ravi (Lildude_Ravi) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:24 pm: Edit

what was the answer for 3^x<x+3

i marked B

neone else

By Hewashere (Hewashere) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:26 pm: Edit

so it specified 2 trapezoids?

By Meekchun (Meekchun) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:29 pm: Edit

no the equation x-1 made two congruent objects - and they are trapeziods

By Jsknicks (Jsknicks) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:30 pm: Edit

i put B also, lildude

By Nealious (Nealious) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:31 pm: Edit

uhh...did anyone leave a majority of the questions between 43 and 50 blank?

those were about 14 times harder than the rest of the test.

By Nealious (Nealious) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:31 pm: Edit

uhh...did anyone leave a majority of the questions between 43 and 50 blank?

those were about 14 times harder than the rest of the test.

By Jsknicks (Jsknicks) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:34 pm: Edit

so what did everyone put for the last problem...i guessed A

By Kewlkiwi102 (Kewlkiwi102) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:36 pm: Edit

Nealious, I agree heartily.
I feel really stupid.
Grrrr.
NOW i know how to answer 4 of the 6 I had issues with....

By Lildude_Ravi (Lildude_Ravi) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:36 pm: Edit

one abt consecutive 10 positive integers....

only one option was right...

"median=mean" am i right?

By Kewlkiwi102 (Kewlkiwi102) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:38 pm: Edit

yeah i think so
would any of those have had a mode?

By Hewashere (Hewashere) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:42 pm: Edit

did anyone get 14.92 for the last one?

By Monoe (Monoe) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:42 pm: Edit

none would have a mode, and the mean can't be even because it ends in '.5'

For the last question, I worked it out and am quite sure I got it right, but I forget what I put. It was NOT 9 or 8.whatever. It was D or E.

By Lildude_Ravi (Lildude_Ravi) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:45 pm: Edit

question in which graph was shifted

answer g(x) = f(x-1)+1 ????

By Kewlkiwi102 (Kewlkiwi102) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:47 pm: Edit

yeah, up one right one.

By Lildude_Ravi (Lildude_Ravi) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:48 pm: Edit

it was 14.92....... i am pretty sure abt this....

By Satchamp (Satchamp) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:49 pm: Edit

shooooot
wasnt it g(x) = f(x+1)+1

By Maud (Maud) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:50 pm: Edit

how did you guys do the last one? wasn't the volume of the big one 800 something pi?

By Hewashere (Hewashere) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:50 pm: Edit

i still don't understand why anyone would want to divide a rectangle into two trapezoids instead of two right triangles when the latter is much easier. btw, how would u know for certain that the two trapezoids are, in fact, congruent other than eyeballing it?

By Frogman9595 (Frogman9595) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:51 pm: Edit

Could the curve be any lower than 43=800? 42=800? 41=800?? Anyone have an idea?

By Poop (Poop) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:53 pm: Edit

near the beginning i had like 3 or 4 D's in a row..damn that shyt was hard..i ended up running out of time and i counted how many i left blank...TWELVE..

By Zas1987 (Zas1987) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:54 pm: Edit

for teh last one i definitely got 9... the radius stayed the same so you just had to divide the volume by two, and solve for the new height, right? i got 9....

By Aceofhearts54 (Aceofhearts54) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:54 pm: Edit

Ugh, time was a huge problem, I ended up omitting 7, should have been like 4... And I already know of 1 stupid mistake, probably 2.

9.16 for the 2 slope problems is right I think, tan^-1 = angle of inclination, find both and subtract them.

Is a tangent point really considered an "intersection"? If so, I'm pissed.

And does anyone have an explantion for the one where you had to divide the rectangle in half?

By Kewlkiwi102 (Kewlkiwi102) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:54 pm: Edit

Eh, I think 42 would be the most we can hope for. 41 would reeeeeeaaaallly be strecthing it. Looking at it now these problems (except for a couple) were not actually that difficult.
AAhhh stupidity *smacks head on desk*

By Katiya (Katiya) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:55 pm: Edit

Still no one for the F(x) = (x-1) F (x-1) one??

For x^3<x+3 I graphed on my calc and got the one that was (negative number)<x<(positive number) I don't remember the letter

?

By Kewlkiwi102 (Kewlkiwi102) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:56 pm: Edit

-2 somethng to 2 something (they were icky numbers w/ decimals....)

By Aceofhearts54 (Aceofhearts54) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:59 pm: Edit

F(x) = (x-1) F(x-1) ... Are you sure thats the exact problem, because I don't remember. ok, It told you one of the parts in the added information. And you had to realize that it was x-1 I think and plug it into the other function, or something like that.

ahhh... I'm almost positive I got it right, but I can't remember the problem well.

By Lildude_Ravi (Lildude_Ravi) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 02:00 pm: Edit

katiya ... we had to calculate f(1.4)

so f(1.4)=(1.4-1)f(1.4-1)=0.4*f(0.4)

and we were given the value of f(0.4)....

i dont remember the exact answer

By Athlonmj (Athlonmj) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 02:03 pm: Edit

It was like 1.08 or something

By Kewlkiwi102 (Kewlkiwi102) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 02:05 pm: Edit

omg...that makes so much sense now.
damn.

By Goonberg (Goonberg) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 02:05 pm: Edit

I can talk about F(x) = (x-1) F (x-1)...they gave you F(.4)=2.7 and then said solve for F(1.4). so it would be (1.4 - 1)=.4 times F(1.4-1) which is the same as F(.4) which we know equals 2.7, so the answer is .4 times 2.7, 1.08 was the answer

By Frenchfries (Frenchfries) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 02:06 pm: Edit

I'm going to try to explain #50...forgive me if I'm wrong or I'm remembering the wrong numbers. The key was (to me, at least) knowing that in cones, the height is always directly proportional to the radius. In this case it, was 18:12, so the radius was 2/3 of the height. The volume of the original cone was 864*Pi (12^2 x 18 x Pi x 1/3). If the volume of the smaller cone was half of that, then it was 432*Pi.

432*Pi=(1/3)Pi*r^2*h, where r is radius and h is height
Then, replace r with (2/3)h
432*Pi=(1/3)Pi*(2h/3)^2*h
432*Pi=(1/3)Pi*(4/9)*h^3
solve for h, answer is 14.29. Someone keeps saying it's 14.92, so hopefully their memory switched the numbers 9 and 2, and both of us got the problem right.

By Traci87 (Traci87) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 02:08 pm: Edit

what was the question for 48 and 49? i think i accidently marked the wrong spot!!!!!arg

By Hewashere (Hewashere) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 02:08 pm: Edit

yea sorry

By Caddyshack (Caddyshack) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 02:09 pm: Edit

Wow, you guys really thought it was hard? well anyways, i omited none, guessed on none.... some answers... F(x)=(x-1)F(x-1) they ask for F(1.4) giving us that F(.4)=something SO -- (1.4-1)times F(.4)<-----they gave you F(.4), so just mulitply that by (1.4-1)
ummmm, the cone was 14 something
amplitude was 5
the vector b minus vector a was a vector pointing into the third quadrant... I believe the answwr choice was C
ummmmm, wow, that was an easy test i thought.... finished 20 minutes early

By Kewlkiwi102 (Kewlkiwi102) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 02:11 pm: Edit

nope the vector one was pointing in the 4th quadrant.

By Whirlziggi (Whirlziggi) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 02:12 pm: Edit

What was the one where a surveyor walked toward a cliff.. and the angle of elevation was thirty degrees, than 45 degrees? and i think we had to find the height? I kept getting an answer that wasnt one of the choices. what was it and can someone explain it?

By Athlonmj (Athlonmj) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 02:13 pm: Edit

I got like 41 or something for the surveyor

Vector pointing to 4th quad

By Caddyshack (Caddyshack) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 02:15 pm: Edit

Kewl, whatever, the ansswer was C

By Hewashere (Hewashere) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 02:15 pm: Edit

i concur with athlon on both of those.
on another note: i still don't understand why anyone would want to divide a rectangle into two trapezoids instead of two right triangles when the latter is much easier. btw, how would u know for certain that the two trapezoids are, in fact, congruent other than eyeballing it?

By Jerseykid (Jerseykid) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 02:15 pm: Edit

For the sphere question:

I don't remember if the word "surface" was included or not, put two spheres can definitely intersect at only one point, and when they move closer to each other they make a circle.

But the question also said that the spheres have different diameters, so I think that the smaller sphere could be placed entirely inside the larger one, touching it at one point.

So I put all three

By Goonberg (Goonberg) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 02:15 pm: Edit

same here Whirl, so I ended up skipping it due to time. it's strange because earlier in the year I could do those problems easily. I think my problem was that I was trying to use sine and cosine, forgetting to ever use tangent.

By Kewlkiwi102 (Kewlkiwi102) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 02:15 pm: Edit

yeah, i got 41 for the surveyor also. wasted so much time on that one.

By Kewlkiwi102 (Kewlkiwi102) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 02:17 pm: Edit

jersey kid, but thats not an intersection, becuase a sphere is just th epoints on the outside, not all the points on the inside.
I still think point or circle.

By Goonberg (Goonberg) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 02:21 pm: Edit

Has anyone figured out the answer to the second to last (49). I didn't end up getting an answer I separated them into like terms, and got it to 2m(m^90), but I had no clue where to go from there. Initially, I thought it would be a simple plug into the calculator, only to find out the numbers were too huge. Any comments would be great.

By Whirlziggi (Whirlziggi) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 02:22 pm: Edit

Arrgh i was thinking of putting that.. but I kept getting 42.. so i thought i was doing something wrong, so i left it blank. Also, what was the answer to the one with the cube, and the diagonal makes an angle of 30 degrees, and width was 3, and length was 4 i think, and we had to find the height?

By Monoe (Monoe) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 02:22 pm: Edit

I got 71-something for the surveyor and I think I am right...I equated the two TAN functions for the two triangles created. Anyone back me up?

The vector question definitely pointed into the fourth quadrant.

By Student8712 (Student8712) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 02:25 pm: Edit

goonberg: 48 was e, I think that was 34

whrilziggi: I think I got 36.somethign for the volume of the cube

moneo: I also got 71 and I agree with you on the vector

By Goonberg (Goonberg) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 02:26 pm: Edit

For the cube and the triangle, I used law of sines to find the side. And I think I ended up getting around 2.88 for the height. then just multiply 4*3*2.88 to get the volume

By Monoe (Monoe) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 02:28 pm: Edit

On the vector question, plugging in ballpark coordinates eliminates all other choices.

The cube's volume is 2.5 x 4 x 3. 2.5 is the height because of the 30-60-90 triangle formed from the diagonal.

By Caddyshack (Caddyshack) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 02:29 pm: Edit

the m to the 90 was 34 i do believe and the cliff was most assuredly 41

By Bcrichsolo (Bcrichsolo) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 02:29 pm: Edit

I feel so stupid after reading this stuff. I was getting so mad at myself for not really studying because I knew if I studied I would have gotten some easy questions right such as the one about the angle formed by 2 lines or the determenent one. Can anyone explain the intersection of the spheres one. I put point and sphere because I'm retarted, but who knows it might be right...I cant visualize a circle being formed...

By Aceofhearts54 (Aceofhearts54) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 02:29 pm: Edit

diagonal in the cube... I figured that the diagonal on the bottom surface was 5, pyth. theorem. Then did tan30 = x/5, x=2.89 Thats the height, but I thought the question was volume? In that case its 2x4x2.89

Anyone else do that?

By Poop (Poop) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 02:30 pm: Edit

something with 2, but not equal to 0

III only

I and II for median and mean

By Monoe (Monoe) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 02:31 pm: Edit

On the vector question, plugging in ballpark coordinates eliminates all other choices.

The cube's volume is 2.5 x 4 x 3. 2.5 is the height because of the 30-60-90 triangle formed from the diagonal.

By Poop (Poop) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 02:31 pm: Edit

o..absolute value of 2

By Hewashere (Hewashere) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 02:32 pm: Edit

the cube one was 3*4*(5/root3) = 34.68

By Monoe (Monoe) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 02:34 pm: Edit

I was sure it was 71...how 41?

By Caddyshack (Caddyshack) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 02:36 pm: Edit

TAN(30)=X/(x+30)

By Poop (Poop) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 02:37 pm: Edit

for the vector i got fourth quadrant,(-4, -6), 1/w, volume of cube=3*4*5/root3, 1.08, 1001, 45%, (7/18)*(6/17)
anyone remmeber anything else?

By Poop (Poop) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 02:38 pm: Edit

actuallie we probably shouldnt say nething because some people havent taken it yet right/
so SHHH

By Caddyshack (Caddyshack) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 02:39 pm: Edit

the bacteria colony was i think 13781%

By Goonberg (Goonberg) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 02:39 pm: Edit

What about that question that said tan(theta)=t, was does sin(theta) equal and then it had the picture?

By Poop (Poop) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 02:42 pm: Edit

1/root(k^2+1)

By Benzo415 (Benzo415) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 02:43 pm: Edit

Did anyone get a whole row of D's there for a while? and then a bunch of B's and A's after that, not a lot of E's either? That's what happened to me pretty much.

But wow, what a crazy test! I didn't even get to Nos. 46-50, and left 3 others blank. I'm hoping for at least a 700; I think it is obtainable. The first 25 questions I finished in 20 minutes though, and I couldn't even answer 20 more in the next 40. Really weird.

The transformation answer was f(x-1)+1.

The vector question: the answer was the one in Q4 i think.

Can someone explain the mean-median-mode question? I left it blank, since I thought it was "none of the above" lol

By Frogman9595 (Frogman9595) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 02:43 pm: Edit

Well Well I didn't do as well as i had hoped. I want to retake in the fall, but the question is whether or not to cancel. I want to see how I did, but I don't want it to be a bad spot on my college app. As long as I got over 700 this time and can retake and get an 800, will colleges care at all about the lower score??

By Z00b (Z00b) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 02:47 pm: Edit

Caddyshack's right.... I just figured that one out after time ran out... The proctor had it out for me... I wasn't going to bubble it in.

Ugh! That test was the hardest out of the Sparknotes and Real SAT's one's I've taken. I was getting around 730-750 on those, but I don't know about this one. I think I left at least 10 blank, and probably missed at least 5 from careless errors. I just hope it's over 700!

By Goonberg (Goonberg) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 02:49 pm: Edit

I left about 6 blank and I probably missed 2.

Do you think I can pull like 780?

By Athlonmj (Athlonmj) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 02:51 pm: Edit

Poop I got k/sqrt(k^2 + 1) :)

By Lildude_Ravi (Lildude_Ravi) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 02:52 pm: Edit

poop it was k / root(1+k^2)

since theta was marked up in the triangle

By Kewlkiwi102 (Kewlkiwi102) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 02:56 pm: Edit

i concur...lol

By Zas1987 (Zas1987) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 02:59 pm: Edit

im already down to a raw score of 43... any chance for an 800 still?

By Kewlkiwi102 (Kewlkiwi102) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 03:04 pm: Edit

yep

By Zas1987 (Zas1987) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 03:14 pm: Edit

INTERSECTION DOES NOT EQUAL TANGENT!

By Tamy02 (Tamy02) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 03:17 pm: Edit

wat did ny1 get 4 the question 48 with the m"90+2m"91
i put 27!? ny1 else?!?! i dunno ho i came 2 that answer!?!?!

By Monoe (Monoe) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 03:20 pm: Edit

Hey Caddyshack, your method assumes that the cliff is divided into two parts : X and X + 30, when in fact those are the divisions of the GROUND the surveyor is walking on. He moved 30 feet closer to the cliff. I saw it as X (the original distance from him to the cliff) and X - 30 (the distance after he moved 30).

I still think it was 71, I felt good on that one.

By M2me4 (M2me4) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 03:20 pm: Edit

i put 34 cuz you factor m^90(m+2) and 34+2=36 and that was the only perfect squareroot. I'm not sure though, did anyone else get that?

By Jens (Jens) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 03:21 pm: Edit

i got 34 too, I just changed the exponents to smaller #s like 3 &2 and 34 was the only that worked.

By Tamy02 (Tamy02) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 03:22 pm: Edit

ahh i was gonna put 71 4 the surveyor one...so far i think i have bout 4 wrong and i ommited 3...wat do u think that woudl b?!?! liek 750+?!? ahh!! i was hopin 4 an 800!

By Adidasty (Adidasty) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 03:29 pm: Edit

the subtraction of vectors was in the fourth quadrant. man, they just plain dont give you enough time. i knew all of the math on the whole IIC test and i just didnt have enough time to finish. I omitted 10 and missed 3. what, at best, could that be?

By Adidasty (Adidasty) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 03:30 pm: Edit

kewlkiwi: i know youre a member of the 1600 club here at CC so im trustin u....lol, do u think the curve for this IIC will be more generous or less generous than other ones?

By Tamy02 (Tamy02) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 03:31 pm: Edit

yea i just glanced over the questiosn and if i coudlnt answer em..i just skipped them...liek time wasnt a big problem 4 me..but if i worked my normal pace it woulda been!

By Volleyball6 (Volleyball6) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 03:36 pm: Edit

Has anyone ever heard of a past IIC curve being 41 raw=800 or better? What's the most IIC generous curve known to man?

By Student8712 (Student8712) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 03:36 pm: Edit

For the cliff problem I actually got 41. I initially had 71 but then I saw my error. I'm pretty sure 41 is right.

By Tamy02 (Tamy02) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 03:40 pm: Edit

yea i remeber i got 41 as well...! i used the law of sins! i dunno..on the score report do they write the amount we got wrong/right?!

By Shaka (Shaka) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 03:55 pm: Edit

SO DOES THE CIRCLE INTERSECT AT ONE POINT OR NOT???

By Dliebers (Dliebers) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 03:56 pm: Edit

People who still think the surveyor one is 71, STOP BEING SO RETARDED AND DO THE PROBLEM AGAIN. First, draw it out, you have two triangles, one with degree measures of 15 [30ft side across from it, 145, and 30. Do a law of sines (sin15)/30=sin30/x. After some simple arithmetic you get 57.96 [make sure youre in degrees mode kids!]. Ok now we have a triangle with a hyp of 57.96 and an angle of 45. Do sin45=x/57.96. You get 41. Stop talking about this one, its over

By Theleet (Theleet) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 04:07 pm: Edit

what was bacteria? I put the biggest but seemed too easy.

By Bcrichsolo (Bcrichsolo) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 04:10 pm: Edit

i dont remember the numbers, but you didnt need law of sines....

Also, the bacteria... was it D) 1,300 or E) 13,000 (both rounded #s)

By C0nfusion (C0nfusion) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 04:11 pm: Edit

it was the largest answer, E

By Lahlahlah (Lahlahlah) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 04:32 pm: Edit

whgat u guys get for number 48 i put b

By Lahlahlah (Lahlahlah) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 04:34 pm: Edit

what was question 49

By Scion (Scion) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 04:43 pm: Edit

"f(x)f(3)=f(x+3) was e^x"

wasnt this one logx??? just wonderin-im probably wrong

By Flameball63 (Flameball63) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 04:47 pm: Edit

It was sinx I think...u plug it in for all of them. I thought the test was easy...I hope I'm right.

It was sinx I think...u plug it in for all of them. I thought the test was easy...I hope I'm right.

By Lahlahlah (Lahlahlah) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 04:51 pm: Edit

was 49 the e^x one?

By Flameball63 (Flameball63) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 04:52 pm: Edit

For the m^91+2m^90 question, here's how you do it, I think.

m*m^90+2m^90
m^90(2+m)

The m to the 90th power will be an integer, 90/2=45. For the whole thing to be the square of a number, the 2+m gotta be a number you can rad out perfectly, which is 34, E.

By Lahlahlah (Lahlahlah) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 04:53 pm: Edit

was 49 the e^x or was 48 the e^x

By Humbucker87 (Humbucker87) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:01 pm: Edit

how do you get an angle from to line equations.
I think the question mentioned the smaller angle. not sure

overall i think the test was moderately hard...wont know how i did until i get my scores

By Lahlahlah (Lahlahlah) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:05 pm: Edit

WHAT WAS PROBLEM # 48???

By Flameball63 (Flameball63) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:06 pm: Edit

I figured the smaller angle thing...ergh...a little bit too late.
Without the formula:

m1=2/5
m2=3/5

Use the point 0,0.
y1=2/5x
y2=3/5x

use x=5.

You get (5,2) and (5,3)

use the distance formula from (0,0) to the two points: you get: rad 29 and rad 34

from the points, you can tell that they are one unit apart.
So, you have the two lengths of rad 29 and rad 34 and the opposite as 1.

Then, you use the a^2=b^2+c^2-2*b*c*CosA to figure out A.
And you get 9.16.

By Lahlahlah (Lahlahlah) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:13 pm: Edit

WHAT WAS PROB 48 WAS IT THE E^X ????

By Flameball63 (Flameball63) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:14 pm: Edit

And for the bacteria one: for all those people who used PR for review...thank them...I love Princeton Review. My recommendation for anyone thinking of taking the test over again is work through the whole PR book and the "Math workout for the SATII" book..helps a lot.

Back to bacteria:
You use the growth formula: I forgot the numbers, but, here it is:

Total= original*(1+percent of increase)^number of times

You plug in numbers, that's all I remember.

By Modestmouse (Modestmouse) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:17 pm: Edit

I love II cizzle... I know... I'm not helping. But... Ah. I can't bear to think about this test any longer...

By Madd87 (Madd87) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:17 pm: Edit

the angle between the lines was easy, just use that program barrons book told you and it spit out 9.16.. that was the only easy one of the last 10 or so

By Lahlahlah (Lahlahlah) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:17 pm: Edit

what was problem number 48?

By Madd87 (Madd87) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:19 pm: Edit

maybe..

and for the bacteria I wasn't sure so I just did .1 x 100 and got 10 times, which seemed reasonable so I picked it.

By Satchamp (Satchamp) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:20 pm: Edit

whoa.......
hmm....u know someone should Compile all the Hard questions...
umm....what was the answer to the splitting the rectangle one....
and what about the coefficient of the matrix?

By Madd87 (Madd87) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:20 pm: Edit

number 48 was e^x yes.

By Madd87 (Madd87) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:20 pm: Edit

splitting rectangle was -1, and determinant of matrix was 0

By Vp4t3l (Vp4t3l) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:23 pm: Edit

i thought this test was hard
i guess i didnt have enough prep for it

according to everyone, 33 is a 700
anybody think it will move down to like 30 for a 700?

By Satchamp (Satchamp) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:24 pm: Edit

o shoot i put 0 for the splitting rectangle one

By Jsknicks (Jsknicks) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:28 pm: Edit

Does anywhere remember the question with the answer choices sin(sqr)x, cos(sqr)x, cot(sqr)x

By Tamy02 (Tamy02) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:30 pm: Edit

cant remember wat i put for the splittting rectangle! it was def a negative number! wat bout the equation of the perpensicular line..i think i had y=3/2x-7/2 or so! and wat bout the minimum number of ice cubes..i think i got 24! ny1 else concur!?

By Madd87 (Madd87) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:30 pm: Edit

it was cos(sqr)x

By Flameball63 (Flameball63) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:30 pm: Edit

How can it be -1? The rectangle one had one of its points at (0,0), if its -1, it would cut unevenly...somebody please explain:(

By Student8712 (Student8712) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:31 pm: Edit

Jsknicks: I'm not sure about that. I did choose 1/sin(x) for the one about the declining graph between pi/4 and pi/3.

By Tamy02 (Tamy02) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:32 pm: Edit

Jsknicks: yea i got cos(square)x! i think thats rite!

By Madd87 (Madd87) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:32 pm: Edit

Tamy02 I remember the 3/2x - 7/2 , but I dont remember my answer for the cube one but 24 rings a bell

By Shaka (Shaka) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:32 pm: Edit

jsknicks, that one was cos(sqr)x

By Madd87 (Madd87) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:33 pm: Edit

Jsknicks question was (cotxsinx)/(secx) I think?

By Tamy02 (Tamy02) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:37 pm: Edit

Hmmm..wat other questions..the very 2nd one...it was liek x>0 and y<0...was the answer E i, ii, and iii?!?!?!?
heheh..just tryin 2 think of random questions that may have appeared now!

By Flameball63 (Flameball63) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:37 pm: Edit

I got cos(sqr) too.

By Dolphinz33 (Dolphinz33) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:38 pm: Edit

11 blank 2 wrong 730ish?

By Shaka (Shaka) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:38 pm: Edit

someone should compile these and see how many questions/answers we come up wit

By Flameball63 (Flameball63) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:39 pm: Edit

Can someone please explain the splitting question? I got 0, I think it's wrong now...blah! Do you guys think its possible to get an 780-800 if I left four blank, and miss 2?

By Jsknicks (Jsknicks) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:41 pm: Edit

what about the one with ax(sqr)+bx+c=d+e or something like that? which one couldn't equal zero

By Madd87 (Madd87) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:41 pm: Edit

a

By Scion (Scion) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:42 pm: Edit

i got 25 for the ice cubes, and what was the "splitting rectangle" one?

By Mooses41 (Mooses41) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:42 pm: Edit

what about the one where it was the didtance between 2 points in a 3 coordinate plane? I put 5, is that right?

By Madd87 (Madd87) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:43 pm: Edit

For the splitting one:
If you draw a diagonal, the slope is not 1, so that rules out 0 and a triangle split, so you want to go for two even trapazoids. all the positive numbers make the top half way to small and -5 makes the top half too big. -1 is the only one that fit.

By Madd87 (Madd87) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:45 pm: Edit

Mooses yes I think 5 was right, its sqrt((x1-x2)^2 + (y1-y2)^2) .. the z coordinates where the same so (z1-z2)^2 is 0.

By Madd87 (Madd87) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:46 pm: Edit

Yes I got 25 for the minimum number of whatever.. I remember that one now. I got 24 for some permutations one.

By Zas1987 (Zas1987) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:47 pm: Edit

what was the minimum number question? i forgot lal of them

By Zas1987 (Zas1987) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:47 pm: Edit

what was the minimum number question? i forgot lal of them

By Madd87 (Madd87) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:49 pm: Edit

It was some forumla it gave you, it asked about cooling something to 32 or so, all I did was plug the answers in the formula and 25 worked.

By Tamy02 (Tamy02) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:49 pm: Edit

How could it be 25, cuse with 24, you would also get slightly above the number..i remeber i checked that question with both those numbers!
IU think i put 5 but the 3 point cordinate question!

By Chamonix (Chamonix) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:49 pm: Edit

Alright, I will be the one to compile all of the answers we have developed so far. It will take me about five minutes. Here goes...

By Jsknicks (Jsknicks) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:49 pm: Edit

yea i got five

By Zas1987 (Zas1987) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:50 pm: Edit

can someone please rephrase the surveyor question? thanks

By Mattlord (Mattlord) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:51 pm: Edit

wow. i really thought the test was easy. i left two blank and probably got all others correct; it may turn out that i miss one because of a careless mistake.

so, IMPORTANT question:

what would you think about a person that has an 800 on Math IIc but always seems to make careless mistakes on the SAT and scores a 750? do MOST people who score an 800 on IIc have an 800 on the regular section?

thanks bunches!

By Madd87 (Madd87) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:56 pm: Edit

Tamy you want below the number.. a little above is a little above

By Shaka (Shaka) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:57 pm: Edit

CAN I GET 750+ with 5 omits and possibly 4 wrong?

By Madd87 (Madd87) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:57 pm: Edit

Mattlord thats a common problem I bet, IIC has a much easier curve than SAT I

By Meekchun (Meekchun) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:58 pm: Edit

i've left 4 blank and pretty darn sure i only got 1 wrong - thats a 44.75 ---- 800??

By Chamonix (Chamonix) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 06:02 pm: Edit

There is no particular order here. I am just going to list the answers to problems that I think are most likely correct. These arn't the exact problems, just what I can remember.

Q: Ice cubes
A: 24

Q: ax^2 + bx + c= d+ e
A: A)a

Q: Spliting the rectangle into two congruent parts
A: -1

Q: percent increase of 124 to 170ish
A: 45%

Q: 4,9 is an arithmatic sequence, find the first term that exceeds 1000.
A: 1001

Q: Two spheres of different diameters intersect at
A: a circle or a point

Q: (cotxsinx)/(secx)
A: 1/cos(xsquared)

Q: two slopes intersect and form what angle
A: 9.16

#49 Q: m^90+2M^91
A:34

#50 Q: cone is sliced
A: 14.92

Q: determinant
A: 0

Q: ten consecutive integers
A: median only

Q:F(x) = (x-1) F (x-1)
A: 1.08

Q: probability of something
A: 7/51

Q: vector
A: pointing into the fourth quad

Q: cliff/surveyor
A: 41

By Chamonix (Chamonix) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 06:04 pm: Edit

Feel free to add more to the list, actually, I would like it if you would.

By Jsknicks (Jsknicks) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 06:05 pm: Edit

I've looked through the board and compiled a list of questions that we've discussed. I've also added some that haven't been mentioned. I spent time typing this and im up to 36. I'd really appreciate if you could help me finish this list. These are not in order. Thanks.

1-(x(sqr)-4)(x+2)
2-x less than 0 y less than zero x+y=?
3-circle and point
4-vector
5-cone (last problem)
6-surveyor
7-consecutive integers (mean med and mode)
8-f(.4) thing (i got 1.08)
9- 1.1+ pie
10- m to the 91 +2m to the 90 problem (34 or 24)
11-X+C problem with the rectangle
12-9.16 smallest angle
13-45% markup
14-probability (7/51)
15- 1001
16-0 (determinant)
17-amplitude
18-limit (2)
19-44 deg
20-(8,17)
21-gx=f(x-1)+1
22-cube question
23-5 (distance formula)
24- 25 (ice cubes)
25-1913 (the year)
26-bacteria
27-(-4,-6)
28-k/(sqrt)ksqr+1
29-ax(sqr)+bx thing
30- 1/sinx is decreasing
31-cos(sqr)x (anyone remember the exact question?)
32-4P3=24
33-tree question h and d (anyone remember the answer?)
34- 3/2x-7/2
35-Fx x F3=F(x+3)
36- 3 to the x is less than x+3

By Meekchun (Meekchun) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 06:07 pm: Edit

4 omitted and 1 wrong - thats a 44.75. is that good enough to get a 800?

By Chamonix (Chamonix) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 06:07 pm: Edit

bummer, we both made lists

By Shaka (Shaka) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 06:09 pm: Edit

#50: Cone base rad. is 12, height is 18...cut by a plane...resulting smaller cone 1/2 of original cone's volume...What is new volume?

ANSWER?

By Bcrichsolo (Bcrichsolo) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 06:10 pm: Edit

i think the consec. integer answer u posted was wrong...any1 remember the question

By Madd87 (Madd87) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 06:11 pm: Edit

consecutive integer is mean and median

By Shaka (Shaka) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 06:12 pm: Edit

the mean was like...5.5...how is that an even integer?

By Jsknicks (Jsknicks) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 06:13 pm: Edit

yea i didnt necessarily include the answer...i just put in something to jog your memory. Anyone rememeber any others.

By Bcrichsolo (Bcrichsolo) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 06:15 pm: Edit

(1+2+3+4+5+6+7+8+9+10)/10 = 5.5

By Shaka (Shaka) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 06:18 pm: Edit

yea...bcrishsolo...i know how to get the mean...but the question was askin for even integer, wasnt it?

By Madd87 (Madd87) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 06:18 pm: Edit

and median of 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 is 5.5 as well

By Meekchun (Meekchun) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 06:20 pm: Edit

44.5 --- good enough to get a 800???

By Madd87 (Madd87) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 06:20 pm: Edit

No it was asking for what is true.. choices were like median is even integer, mean is even integer, mean and median are same, median and mode same, mean median mode same..

i dont remember remember exactly but I think it was something like that

By Madd87 (Madd87) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 06:22 pm: Edit

Meekchun - yes.

By Helios (Helios) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 12:19 am: Edit

The test was much easier than Barrons practice tests although i omitted four and probably got 2 or 3 wrong. hopefully thats enough for 800.

What was the ice cube question?

By Scion (Scion) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 12:27 am: Edit

ok, for the ice cubes, I got 25, but some got 24. and for number 48, i thought it was f(x)=log x, cuz a property of log is f(x+3)= f(x)f(3), right? o i dont know...

By Kingkonglives (Kingkonglives) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 12:29 am: Edit

uhh is omitting 5 bad? i didn't study at all, and that's what i did... it really wasn't that hard, if i studied i wouldn't have gotten any wrong... the point about the first half being easy as hell and putting us in a sense of security is def. true

for the function problems i was just like wtf?? oh well

By Kewlkiwi102 (Kewlkiwi102) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 12:29 am: Edit

i got 25 exactly.

By Helios (Helios) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 12:38 am: Edit

but what was the actual ice cube question?

for number 48 i put log x too but i think its wrong.
log(x+3) does not equal log(x)*log(3)

By Metra (Metra) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 12:40 am: Edit

What was the ice cubes question again?

By Frogman9595 (Frogman9595) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 12:48 am: Edit

Any curve predictions yet? What do u think is the lowest raw score that could equal 800?

By Helios (Helios) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 01:03 am: Edit

I'm hoping for a 41, but that's probably too hopeful. It's most likely 42-43.

By Adidasty (Adidasty) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 01:08 am: Edit

What is the lowest raw score thats possible for a 730? Anyone know?

By Irock1ce (Irock1ce) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 01:14 am: Edit

the question about which one is f(x)f(3) is e^x. Think about it, e^(x+y) = (e^x)(e^y). However, it also said that it must be all real numbers (i think), and e^x is the only one that fulfils that for log(-x+3) = log(3-x) = log3/logx. So therefore, e^x is the correct answer. Also, one of my really really really smart friends (1600,800,800 so far) got e^x as well.

By Happeepanda (Happeepanda) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 02:09 am: Edit

oh my,,,
math iic was difficult, i didn;t study at all!
oh well...I hope i got over 700, that would be amazing! I would be sooo happy if I got like a 720, or 710 even! or even 700!!

I haven;t taken any practice tests so I don;t know whether this was abnormally hard or easy...it was hard for me! it was so much harder than the IB math test!!

By Dostoyevsky (Dostoyevsky) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 02:12 am: Edit

damn yo.....id like to think of myself as one of the top kids at math (not in the nation or nything, jus in general).....but that was a weird test....i breezed through most of it....i had 35 done with 20 min to go.....easy? NO....i skipped 5 in those last 15 questions....time was an issue....each of the last set of problems looked like it would take soo long, so i decided to omit them and jus make sure i did the others at the end correctly.....i omitted 5 and probably got 1-4 stupid ones wrong (carelessness)....do you think thats enough for an 800?

By Irock1ce (Irock1ce) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 03:50 am: Edit

i omitted 4, i know i got at least one wrong so far. I know what your saying man.

By Adjlad (Adjlad) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 09:09 am: Edit

raw for 700???

By Infinity (Infinity) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 09:58 am: Edit

Someone clarify the ice cube question. I put 25, but I had a weird feeling that it was too easy just to plug it in...

By Npatrick6 (Npatrick6) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 10:55 am: Edit

Would a 41.5 raw (that's my estimate) have any chance at being an 800 if the curve is large? Would that round up to 42 raw?

By Npatrick6 (Npatrick6) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 10:55 am: Edit

Dostoyevsky, my story exactly.

By Missgrapes (Missgrapes) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 11:50 am: Edit

i ommitted eight, and i think I got two wrong of the ones I answered. Could this in any way get me a 750+ ????

By Modestmouse (Modestmouse) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 12:16 pm: Edit

Npatrick6, yup that's an 800... 42 in 22 Reals is an 800.

Okay, Missgrapes. 8 omits... 2 wrong.
40-(2/4)= 39.5, or a raw of 40...
In 22 Reals that is a 770... You're pretty much set for 750+, don't sweat it...

By Student8712 (Student8712) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 12:21 pm: Edit

I also got 25 for the ice cubes

By Sirhcv (Sirhcv) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 12:27 pm: Edit

Hmmm maybe I'm just being stupid, but havent some people not taken the test yet? I know people with a school testing or a LD have till like tuesday to take it... I really hope they have a differnet test (Not differnet because they're LD, but differnet because you're all talking about the answers!!!) Can someone explain this???? Or is this a (do I dare say) ILLEGAL discussion...

By Cmu86 (Cmu86) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 12:28 pm: Edit

intersection between two spheres can be a point and a sphere
When smaller sphere is inside the larger sphere, intersection is sphere
When two spheres are tangent, a point is intersection.
When two spheres cross each other, the shape of intersection is like... a football(?)

point and circle will be right if they are talking about empty spheres... but i don't think they were talking about empty spheres

Everyone agree?

By Madd87 (Madd87) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 01:14 pm: Edit

No, I'm pretty sure it is a point and a circle. When one is inside the other it's not an intersection.

By Sirhcv (Sirhcv) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 01:19 pm: Edit

A sphere is "empty" as you say... A sphere is defined is a 3-dimensional surface, all points of which are equidistant from a fixed point. So the intersection will either be a point OR circle, they cannot intersect to form a point AND a circle, it must be one or the other... Now that thats cleared up, can someone answer my question?!?! =)

By Satchamp (Satchamp) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 01:54 pm: Edit

i put POINT OR A SPHERE,.......i used my hands as spheres and made them cross into each other.....
u get a 3D intersection if u do that.......
how can 3D objects inbtersect to form a 2D shape.....

By Sirhcv (Sirhcv) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 02:04 pm: Edit

arg!!! its quite simple, think of a sphere as "hollow", its infinitly thin. And even if you did think of a sphere as solid, intersecting them would give you a flying saucer looking thing (I'm not sure of the name) not a sphere. Its a 2D shape but in 3 dimensions, if you dont believe me thats fine...

Now can someone that knows clarify why its ok to talk about this when some people havent taken the exam?

By Lahlahlah (Lahlahlah) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 02:06 pm: Edit

how do you get a circle anyone?

By Pyro (Pyro) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 02:13 pm: Edit

damn question about m^91 + 2m^90... solution is blindingly obvious now but i completely blanked during the test.

By Pyro (Pyro) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 02:29 pm: Edit

some people asked above how you get the angle between the lines passing through (2,5) and (3,5). Treat them as the vectors and , then use the formula cosA = u.v/||u||||v||, and take the arcosine

also, about the m^91 problem:

m^91 + 2m^90 = m^90( m + 2), so sqrt(m^90( m + 2)) = m^45*sqrt(m + 2). Then you just find the value given that makes m+2 a perfect square.

and about the problem where f(x) = (x-1)f(x-1) (IIRC). They want you to find f(1.4), and f(0.4) is given, so it's pretty easy if you keep that in mind.

By Shaka (Shaka) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 02:39 pm: Edit

CIRCLE AND POINT IS RIGHT

CIRCLE is WHERE the 2 SPHEREs intersect, NOT what they MAKE!

By Npatrick6 (Npatrick6) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 03:06 pm: Edit

Thanks Modestmouse.

And yeah, what Shaka said. No more need to argue. Circle and point IS the answer. I'd bet a hundred bucks on it.

By Chamonix (Chamonix) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 03:15 pm: Edit

The test on tuesday is an alternate date; it is a different test. There is no way the college board would give the same test on tuesday. I'm not sure about this though.

By Helios (Helios) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 03:51 pm: Edit

Can someone please remind me what the ice cube question was?

By Vp4t3l (Vp4t3l) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 05:57 pm: Edit

T = ?/5N + 77

How many ice cubes would it take to lower the temp to ????

sorry, but thats all i remember
the answer was 25

By Helios (Helios) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 06:49 pm: Edit

thanks Vp4t3l. I forgot my exact answer but weren't you supposed to just plug it in?

By Lahlahlah (Lahlahlah) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 07:47 pm: Edit

ya well a sphere within a sphere is an intersection despite what many of you are saying...

its just like a small line segment coinciding with a larger line segment...

By Shaka (Shaka) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 08:32 pm: Edit

that's a union, not an intersection

By Madd87 (Madd87) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 08:37 pm: Edit

THE ANSWER WAS A CIRCLE OR A POINT.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stop arguing !!!

By Kewlkiwi102 (Kewlkiwi102) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 09:10 pm: Edit

Did they try anything tricky with the circle point one like one choice being "circle and point" and one "circle or point"? I dont think so, but its kind of bugging me.

By Scion (Scion) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 09:36 pm: Edit

whats a 37 raw?

By Mahajan2005 (Mahajan2005) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 10:34 pm: Edit

I got a new question. What is the point of taking SAT II (Im not saying this sarcastically) if you are not going to do math? I am confused, cause lots of my friends who want to go into writing/lib arts are taking only History, Writing, and then some easier thing. I want to go into business/polsci/law and am better at history. Was it stupid for me to take the IIC or will it look better to admit Gods than a History? I dont think i crashed and burned on it (by what u guyz are saying, skipped one, missed one), but am debating whether to take more tests in October to show I can be half decent at other stuff as well.

Thanks, you guys really seem intelligent (once again, said with sincerity).

By Techgirl800 (Techgirl800) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 10:46 pm: Edit

bummer, imma get like 700 on this test. I omitted three but got many many wrong...oh by the way, can someone explain why the next smallest int prob (after 1000) is 1001. I got 1004 because the formula is a(n)=4+(n-1)5. If you plug in n=200, the answer is 999. Then you would add five to the net term, 1004. Anyone agree?

And about the vector problem some you say the answer is (-4,-6) in the fourth quad. But guys isn't (-4,-6) in the third quad??

By Foundnemo (Foundnemo) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 11:15 pm: Edit

I took writing and math yesterday. I thought I did pretty well in writing, but math owned me (I should've taken it last year @#@#^$&^# after precal, instead of this year after calc, and I didn't review, yada yada, a lot of excuses which ends in me being stupid and horrible at math in the first place) and I omitted 9. I canceled my both of my scores, even though I was pretty sure that I got everything else right, because I was scared. Now I kind of regret it.

Does anyone know why college board makes you cancel both, and doesn't let you cancel just one score?

Was the answer to the ice cube question 25 or 24?

Mahajan2005: some colleges require SAT II math

By Eeeeyor (Eeeeyor) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 11:21 pm: Edit

can someone explain to me the significance of the two spheres haveing different diameters in that question??

By Eeeeyor (Eeeeyor) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 11:30 pm: Edit

if your argument for why sphere cant be an answer is taht it is a union instead of an intersection then is a point even an intersection?? i dunno im confused with this one,

By Scion (Scion) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 11:32 pm: Edit

whats a 37 raw?

By Sandwraith (Sandwraith) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 11:33 pm: Edit

for the rectangle one: someone keeps asking why not just split it into two congruent triangles. the reason you couldn't do that is they told you the equation of the line to split it was y=x+c. If you had been given y=ax then you could have manipulated the slope to have it pass through the diagonal. As it was, you had to determine the correct y-intercept. Here's the non-eyeballing it way:

|
|--------b-----|(6,4) first, choose two
|```````/`````| points a and b where
|``````/``````| they are (a,0) and
|`````/```````| (b,4)
-----a---------|

know that rise over run gives slope, we can deduce:
----- = 1 so 4 = b - a
(b-a)

and the fact that any line cutting a rectangle in half has to pass through the center (3,2) tells us that
(a+b)
----- = 3 so a + b = 6

now we solve
4 = b - a
b = 4 + a
a + b = 6
a + (4 + a) = 6
2a + 4 = 6
2a = 2
a = 1
so point a is at (1,0)
if y = x + c
0 = 1 + c
c = -1
tada! answer ^.^
.>

By Desprateslacker (Desprateslacker) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 11:35 pm: Edit

if they had the same diameter then they can intersect in a sphere since they can be at the exact same place analogous to 2 lines intersecting in a line

By Desprateslacker (Desprateslacker) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 11:35 pm: Edit

if they had the same diameter then they can intersect in a sphere since they can be at the exact same place analogous to 2 lines intersecting in a line

By Shaka (Shaka) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 06:58 am: Edit

ok...look at a definition of intersection:

The point or locus of points where one line, surface, or solid crosses another.

HMM...a POINT or a SURFACE, or a SOLID...

WE have a POINT...we have a CIRCLE (surface)...and SOLIDS do not intersect since they are diff diameters...

CASE CLOSED

By Eeeeyor (Eeeeyor) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 08:42 am: Edit

im sorry but why cant solids intersect if they have different diameters?

By Shaka (Shaka) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 03:26 pm: Edit

ok...download a 3D cad program...make 2 diff sized spheres...when you put the smaller one into the big one, do they actually INTERSECT? at anywhere? if so, can you give me a point? you can't because there is none...the spheres NEVER touch...

it's the surface that counts, because that's what the coordinates measure...not the space the sphere occupies

By Kewlkiwi102 (Kewlkiwi102) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 04:34 pm: Edit

Dear god just let it die already.
:)

By Haruhara (Haruhara) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 05:37 pm: Edit

guys, just visualize it. ez. done.

By Haruhara (Haruhara) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 05:45 pm: Edit

guys, just visualize it. ez. done.

By Haruhara (Haruhara) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 05:45 pm: Edit

double post =\

By Techgirl800 (Techgirl800) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 07:04 pm: Edit

bummer, imma get like 700 on this test. I omitted three but got many many wrong...oh by the way, can someone explain why the next smallest int prob (after 1000) is 1001. I got 1004 because the formula is a(n)=4+(n-1)5. If you plug in n=200, the answer is 999. Then you would add five to the net term, 1004. Anyone agree?

And about the vector problem some you say the answer is (-4,-6) in the fourth quad. But guys isn't (-4,-6) in the third quad??

By Infinity (Infinity) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 07:34 pm: Edit

hold on, there were two answer choices with circle/point? I thought there was one and it was circle OR point. Wouldn't circle AND point be wrong anyway?

By Shaka (Shaka) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 07:41 pm: Edit

ok...it's circle OR point...typo

By Aim78 (Aim78) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 08:05 pm: Edit

Don't get so uppity guys, you did a bad job of exlpaining it anyway.

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Sphere-SphereIntersection.html

By Dliebers (Dliebers) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 09:20 pm: Edit

yo fellows, what is a 40 raw?

By D231 (D231) on Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 03:19 am: Edit

Will someone please tell me the question number of the one that asked for the intersection of two lines with slopes 2/5 and 3/5? Thank you.

By Adidasty (Adidasty) on Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 01:21 pm: Edit

Yeah what is a 40 raw? That would help a lot, thanks.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page