How the SAT II Writing Essay is Graded ?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: June 2004 Archive: How the SAT II Writing Essay is Graded ?
By Whightknight (Whightknight) on Friday, June 04, 2004 - 07:49 pm: Edit

What are the factors that give a certain essay its grade? Does spelling matter at all ? I know grammar should be correct and counts, but how about spelling and neatness/legibility ? Does it matter if you cross out words and add inserts like you can in the AP Lang exam without getting penalized ?

By Silverstar (Silverstar) on Friday, June 04, 2004 - 11:02 pm: Edit

one or two misspelled words won't significantly lower your score. But excessive spelling errors probably suggests you have a problem. they SAY that neatness/legibility doesn't matter, but try to write decently since it just leaves a better impression...subconsciously at least. Crossing out/inserting words - thats all acceptable.

don't fret over trying to write a MASTERPIECE essay. you only have about 20 minutes, so don't try anything too fancy; first concentrate on putting out your main point and backups. its nowhere near as hard as the ap lang exam.

[for the record, i TOTALLY panicked when i took it, and ended up writing a grand total of 6 sentences. Yes...6 sentences including intro, etc. They weren't very long either, and I still ended up with an 8 on the essay. I also missed 8 MC, and got a final score of 720.]

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page