Should I settle with a 690 on Writing?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: June 2004 Archive: Should I settle with a 690 on Writing?
By Dannyferizzle (Dannyferizzle) on Friday, June 04, 2004 - 05:47 pm: Edit

Besides this score being very suprising, will a good english grade from a prep school and a good essay rectify or is it better to humor them with a strong standardized test score?
i plan to apply to stanford.
Thanks.

By the way this score is very suprising, I got a 740 on psat without studying and on my practice essay i got a raw score of 800 on the MC and i had a friend read my essay and said at least an 10 or 11.

ok

By Satchamp (Satchamp) on Friday, June 04, 2004 - 07:03 pm: Edit

dude...shut up!
i cant even get a 600

By Lilmermaide (Lilmermaide) on Friday, June 04, 2004 - 07:21 pm: Edit

thanks satchamp... i actually got 690 on writing too but im having such a hard time.. if people got over a 600 on something they shouldnt complain at all

By Dannyferizzle (Dannyferizzle) on Friday, June 04, 2004 - 09:37 pm: Edit

ok i can see why people should should shut up with like a 720--but I do think its reasonable to be worried at a school like stanford with a 690---what should i do? read the above situation.

By Curtisny (Curtisny) on Friday, June 04, 2004 - 09:44 pm: Edit

you won't get in to stanford with a 690 writing...not quite sure if that was the question, but even so that's a fact, jack.

By Dalaboy (Dalaboy) on Friday, June 04, 2004 - 10:14 pm: Edit

you can't say you won't get into stanford with a 690 writing, there are defintively some ppl that have 690 or below that gets into stanford and besides stanford doesn't even require the sat II subject tests on their application form, they just require the sat, i mean they look at it but really college admission process is just a crap shoot, higher scores means higher probability, and that's all

By Soozievt (Soozievt) on Friday, June 04, 2004 - 11:16 pm: Edit

PLease do not tell someone that they will not get into a school like Stanford with a 690 on the Writing SAT2. That just is not so. Sure, it is ideal to be in the 700s on the SAT2s for schools of that calibur. However, you cannot take this one test out of context and evaluate whether a 690 will make or break the application. It is the total picture. Just so this poster knows, and I am not one to post stats but can only give this example....I have a senior who got into several selective colleges including two Ivies (one she is going to, one she was one of 100 selected for a certain scholar program) and she had a 690 on the SAT2 writing test. However, she had two SAT2 scores higher than that, and everything else about her qualifications were very strong. So, this one 690 in isolation is one thing but as part of the total application package can obviously be just fine for a top school if the rest is very very strong. My fifteen year old just got a 790 on the Writing test and she is not even applying to Ivies, so there are no hard rules like someone else here stated. Apply to Stanford if you wish as long as all of your qualifications are in the appropriate ballpark.

Susan

By Yz16 (Yz16) on Friday, June 04, 2004 - 11:46 pm: Edit

well-posted, soozie - what a freaky fifteen year old, haha, congrats.

but i would emphasize what you said about ideally being in the 700s or 750+s.
Shooting high can only strengthen whatever 'package' he's already got...it's most likely the poster will improve anyway.

tru tho, that even if he got an 800, a place at stanford isn't at all guaranteed, and even if he got a 600, who's to say the poster isn't better qualified in other areas? With college admissions, it's all about sticking out these days anyway, not about being perfect.

That said, there doesn't seem to be anything to lose if the poster has another shot at it - i'd say retake it he can, but there's no need to stress over it.

By Dannyferizzle (Dannyferizzle) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 12:09 am: Edit

Everything else on my record is high 700 to 800 calibur (metaphorically speaking) --- And What i'm asking is, will good essays blow this score out of the water?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page