SAT II writing questions

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: June 2004 Archive: SAT II writing questions
By Satchamp (Satchamp) on Friday, June 04, 2004 - 03:05 am: Edit

1. Josephine Baker danced topless and walked her leopard on the streets of Paris, and these are the sort of colorful escapades for which she is remembered.

(A) Josephine Baker danced topless and walked her leopard on the streets of Paris, and these are the sorts of colorful escapades for which she is remembered
(B) Josephine Baker, who danced topless and walked her leopard on the streets of Paris, is remembered for these and other colorful escapades
(C) People remember Josephine Baker for colorful escapades such as dancing topless and walking her leopard on the streets of Paris
(D) Remembered for colorful escapades such as dancing topless and walking her leopard on the streets of Paris, is Josephine Baker
(E) Josephine Baker, topless dancer and walker of her leopard on the streets of Paris, is remembered for these and other colorful escapades

By Vp4t3l (Vp4t3l) on Friday, June 04, 2004 - 03:27 am: Edit

B
whats the right answer Satchamp??

By Emily_Uk (Emily_Uk) on Friday, June 04, 2004 - 12:05 pm: Edit

C)

By Satchamp (Satchamp) on Friday, June 04, 2004 - 12:33 pm: Edit

C is correct...i put B too........coz i just thought Active voice is way better than passive voice

By Emily_Uk (Emily_Uk) on Friday, June 04, 2004 - 12:39 pm: Edit

I go for the one that has the best flow; it generally tends to be right. I agree with the active voice but if a sentence sounds better it is more likely to be correct.

By Satchamp (Satchamp) on Friday, June 04, 2004 - 12:46 pm: Edit

oh yeah.......thats an OPTION!!!
but that gets me wrong answers all the time....
its not until i sit down an think bout the fricken sentence that i can figure it out..

By Monoe (Monoe) on Friday, June 04, 2004 - 03:12 pm: Edit

Satchamp, B does employ the passive voice. Discern who is the real focus of the sentence. C is right because the sentence focuses on people's remembrance of Josephine Baker, not on her. She could be dead, and the sentence would still make sense, so she needn't be the subject.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page