CHEM SATII

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: June 2004 Archive: CHEM SATII
By Maverick27 (Maverick27) on Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 10:31 pm: Edit

i get all the hard ones right, i guess the so-called "advanced topics", but i get all the common sense ones, the you-either-know-it-or-you-don't ones wrong. I'm having some real trouble with that.
if anybody could spew out some random facts that they found were asked or found to be useful, that would be great.

for example, i didnt know that CO2 dissolved in water at room temp...i thought it had to be in high P. It is also less dense than air at a given temp and pressure.

By Kewlkiwi102 (Kewlkiwi102) on Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 10:51 pm: Edit

Hard water has calcium ions in it.
That question seems to be on almsot every test.

By Qwert271 (Qwert271) on Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 10:55 pm: Edit

It's all kind of about applying the definite info that you know to those type of problems. For example, I took the 2 exam without having learned anything about pigments or colors spreading etc, but I used my other knowledge from physics, math, common sense to analytically figure it out. Another HUGE thing is confidence. I can't stress it enough. One big hangup for me was the same thing as yours: that I was expected to know these trivial facts. Then I got on the Olympiad team (out of about 900 nationally) and realized that if I didn't know it, it was likely that maximum only a few people in the state did. That gave me a whole bunch of confidence. By the way, I'm not boasting or anything, I'm just trying to show how the mentality really plays a part in it. It wasn't about not having learned it yet, it became about being able to figure it out on the spot. I felt that I had all the resources to get any problem right, even if I had no formula, set method. Hope that helps. Literally, a massive part of the test is overcoming the hurdles you set for yourself.

By Fea (Fea) on Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 11:04 pm: Edit

can someone give a brief overview of predicting reactions? i was in an honors class, we didn't cover it at all. just look on our reference tables!

By Maverick27 (Maverick27) on Friday, June 04, 2004 - 07:01 pm: Edit

anyone else?

By Crypto86 (Crypto86) on Friday, June 04, 2004 - 07:10 pm: Edit

Do you know your nuclear? Most of the time its either you know how to do alpha and beta decay or you don't.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page