Schedule-- i HATE spanish!!!!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: June 2004 Archive: Schedule-- i HATE spanish!!!!
By Danielsjang (Danielsjang) on Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 05:56 pm: Edit

I used to like spanish, but now i hate it...
(lo siento, todos los personas quien habla espanol) --an attempt at spanish (!)

I will become a Junior this comming fall. I started spanish as a freshman, so if I quit after finishin school (in two weeks) i will have taken 2 years of spanish.
I am fluent in English and Korean, though.
If I drop spanish, i can instead take AP Music Theory, a much preferable class (honors credit, easy class, interesting)
I have a firm chance of becomming drum major, so it'd be cool to be in my band conductor's other class, too.

Anyway, please post some recommendation/comments. Thanks!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FYI
Recommended academic years of foreign language

Stanford 3
Princeton 4
MIT 2
UC Berkeley 3
Madison 2
duke 3
northwestern 2
Washington U in St. Louis 2

By Ohio_Mom (Ohio_Mom) on Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 10:11 pm: Edit

Its probably better to take at least 3 years of a foreign language - especially for those schools that really want 4. Besides, you might have a better teacher next year. The other point to consider is if the university has a language requirement - you should check at all your listed schools and see if you can pass the requirement with your Korean.

By Danielsjang (Danielsjang) on Friday, June 04, 2004 - 04:38 pm: Edit

I know for a fact that Spanish 3A is a very hard a dedication-necesary class. The teacher is known to be very very strict...
Also, I am a Science/Math guy, but I am also dedicated into music. (probably drum major my Juinor and Senior year, 1st chair in MYSO--milwaukee youth symphony orchestra-- (i made senior symphony this year!!! yah!), 1st in band, 5 years of clarinet...solo&ensmeble... u get the gist) which all makes me want to take AP Music Theory. It's also a easy class (way easier than Spanish 3A, for sure) and most of all, I like it!!
So, is the recommendation that I should take spanish 3A just for colleges to like me, even though in reality i hate & loath it?
Thanks for the reply!
~~~~~~~~
bumP

By Mercury31 (Mercury31) on Friday, June 04, 2004 - 04:57 pm: Edit

i think you should take music theory. the recommended language years are only recommended, not required, so if you really don't like spanish, just drop it and take something you enjoy.

By Danielsjang (Danielsjang) on Friday, June 04, 2004 - 11:59 pm: Edit

thank you so much!

By Desrtswimer (Desrtswimer) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 04:46 am: Edit

I dropped spanish the first week of junior year because i just couldnt take it anymore (after two years of high school also).

While many schools want three, it is not a make or break part of your application. take what you love!! you still have two years of high school left, focus on that instead of what colleges want! It shows you have passion and commitment.

By Ohio_Mom (Ohio_Mom) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 09:46 am: Edit

The school I would be concerned about is Princeton - but I think their acceptance rate was under 10% anyway. I don't think you can live your life based on that kind of statistics. If the rest of the schools on your list only require 2 two years, its probably better to take something else that you enjoy and will do well in than to do poorly in Spanish and receive a poor grade. I think you should slog through Spanish 3 - but it is your decision and you know best how you are likely to do in it,and how it is likely to impact the rest of your courses.

Have you looked at Harvey Mudd? They don't require any foreign language and only recommend 2 years.

I hope that you enjoy your music theory class!

By Danielsjang (Danielsjang) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:14 pm: Edit

thanks all!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page