How are Kaplan and Barron's for ACT?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: June 2004 Archive: How are Kaplan and Barron's for ACT?
By Bfjava (Bfjava) on Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 03:23 am: Edit

Hey, I was wondering how accurate Kaplan and Barron's ACT study guides are?

Kaplan seems alright, though I hate using the CDrom version I have since the time limit is very irritating. The laptop I'm on is slow and wastes lots of time switching from question to question. On top of that, you can't even see the whole of a passage, graph, table, etc at a time and can only see one question at a time. I have yet to take a full English, writing, or math section but I scored a 30 on their first practice full length science section. Most errors were careless, but that is still a variable I have to consider on testday. Anyways, how accurate is it to the real ACT?

Additionally, how is Barron's? I have Barron's 2001 4th edition ACT study guide and have yet to look at any questions. How does it match with the real ACT?

Thanks!

By Sns22022 (Sns22022) on Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 11:46 am: Edit

I don't know much about Kaplan, but I know Barrons is crazy overprep. I was scoring 23's on their tests and got a 32 on the real thing, if that tells you anything. If you're into overprep like me (i've exhausted the Barrons collection) then go for it. What I've heard is the most accurate is the actual book made by the ACT publishers. ACT doesn't release any of their tests apparently so that's the only source with real tests.

By Jolt21 (Jolt21) on Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 06:06 pm: Edit

Quote:

What I've heard is the most accurate is the actual book made by the ACT publishers. ACT doesn't release any of their tests apparently so that's the only source with real tests.

yup..thast teh best book...i did it and brought my 30 to a 35

By Bfjava (Bfjava) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:45 pm: Edit

ooooh, I see. I'll try to pick that one up when I get home. For the weekend I'm still stuck with Barron's and Kaplan, though.

I just took the English section of the first Barron's full test (2001 edition). wow, hahaha, it is MUCH harder. I don't see how you could get a 23 and then a 32 on the real thing, though haha. What'd you get on the actual English part of Barron's?

On Kaplan's test I had 70/75 and on Barron's I had 66/75. I believe those equate to 34 and 32, except I'm not exactly sure how ACT scorking works. Do they just take the percentage out of 75 and multiply it by 36? That's what I did...

Note: that's not to say Barron's wasn't hard because it was much harder than Kaplan's. Barron's just required MUCH MORE thinking than Kaplan's, ouch ouch head hurts ha.
Any ideas?

By Sns22022 (Sns22022) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:58 pm: Edit

Well when you take the actual test in the test center you're in a totally different mentality. After prep I was getting in the 1200s on pratice SAT's and ended up with a 1340 on the real thing. Also, I grade my test a section at a time, and seeing my low 24 on the first english section really set me up for dissapointment on the practice.

Hey, if you're dojng that well on Barrons you're in GREAT shape. If I can score a 32 you can surely get higher than that.

By Bfjava (Bfjava) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 12:24 am: Edit

grrr, I took the math one and got a 30. What'd you get on the math part? I dunno, the Barron's one makes it sooo long and tedious. The questions are a pain asking for the stupid concepts like the most obscure geometry rules ever, heh. Anyways, yea, heh how was it?

By Sns22022 (Sns22022) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 01:11 am: Edit

I got a 29 on Barrons math and a 33 on the real thing. The problems in Barrons are MUCH deeper than on the real thing. The only problem I fould with the actual ACT was time.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page