SAT ii writing Questions - help

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: June 2004 Archive: SAT ii writing Questions - help
By Teal (Teal) on Wednesday, June 02, 2004 - 09:09 pm: Edit

I agree with Peters and (him) that experience (has shown) that (without) adequate time and funds, we (will be) unable to solve social problems. No error

I thought the wrong answer was "will be" and that it should be "would be"? But the correct answer is no error..Cna someone explain?

`baker, in his memories, (tells) stories (about the time) before he attended high school when he (delivered) newspapers to the huge estates and mansions that (used to ) line the rvierfront..no error

Shouldn't delivered be 'had delivered' but again the book says no error?

By Teal (Teal) on Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 07:59 pm: Edit

Does anyone know? And these questions are from the barron's book

By Curtisny (Curtisny) on Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 08:04 pm: Edit

you are overthinking it...around 1/5 of the questions are "no error"!

By Mehere (Mehere) on Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 09:15 pm: Edit

Teal, very interesting questions. I think i'll give them a try.
As for the first one, "If i were... i would." I believe that one only uses 'would' if its a hypothetical situation or if the sentence were in past tense. However, that one is in present tense, so the tense should be consistent.

As for the second one, it's more tricky. First of all, one only uses past perfect tense if its a repeated action over a period of time. However, for that one, it's about 'the time' not 'the times'. If something only happened once, it would only be in past tense.

Teal, i also want to mention that i find Barron's answers very controversial at times as well. When i took the real SAT writing, i felt that the Barrons is not a good example of what the real one really is like. The PR is better. However, Barrons practice questions are very helpful nonetheless.

By Teal (Teal) on Friday, June 04, 2004 - 12:04 am: Edit

Thanks Curtisny for the tip and Mehere for the clarification

By Aim78 (Aim78) on Friday, June 04, 2004 - 01:32 am: Edit

In fact, probably more than 1/5th of the answers are No Error. If it doesn't sound wrong, it probably isn't.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page